PDA

View Full Version : Low hour CPL (H) IR in search for opportunities

danmansell
21st Mar 2015, 14:18
Fellow aviators, this is my first thread on PPrune. I am currently in a situation which isn't unheard of; need hours to get a job, and need a job to get the experience and hours. I went the IR route as apposed to the FI route because when I was committing to the IR the offshore job market was not how it is at the moment.

So back to the point, I am in search of ways to continue flying, P1 or left seat or just for some company and second pair of eyes.

I am offering what knowledge and qualifications I have in exchange for opportunities to fly.

Whether someone would like some company, a safety pilot if you don't fly as often as you may like to be confident, aircraft delivered or moved from various locations. I am aware that a jet ranger rating may be of use, and I would look at making the investment if there was the flying opportunities about.

Please inbox me if anyone has any questions, suggestions or bright ideas to get my career jump started as I am trying every option available!

Many thanks,

Dan

helimutt
21st Mar 2015, 19:58
Don't take this the wrong way. BUT, If you're here with your first post, offering to fly for free to gain hours, asking a professional audience, then you may not like the answers you seek. Why would a professional pilot want to assist someone to fly for free, or more importantly, why would YOU want to fly for free after what was probably an expensive exercise gaining the IR etc?

Just my take on it. Don't dumb down the salaries! Don't reduce the pay for pro pilots who do this for a living, not just for fun.

Unfortunately, you have probably picked the worst time ever to find an IR job with low hours and zero experience. But, things do change, and sometimes very quickly. Being ready to go, current, and able to say yes to any jobs that come your way is a big deal when the jobs come along.

Good luck, many of us (me included) have been in your position. And yes, there really are a lot of old pilots soon to retire, so stay positive. :ok:

Gordy
21st Mar 2015, 23:26
helimutt

Don't take this the wrong way. BUT, If you're here with your first post, offering to fly for free to gain hours, asking a professional audience, then you may not like the answers you seek. Why would a professional pilot want to assist someone to fly for free, or more importantly, why would YOU want to fly for free after what was probably an expensive exercise gaining the IR etc?

Said way better than I could have done. Here is the blunt response: I refuse to hire pilots who have offered to fly for free. There are many of us out here who need to fly for MONEY to raise our families.

You may wish to reconsider how you phrase things in the future.

You asked for advice----network, listen, learn, wait.

Camp Freddie
22nd Mar 2015, 10:44
Mr Dan,

You said yourself that you knowingly went the IR route rather than the FI route.
So you must have known the high risks of the IR route.

Your best option would be IMO to revisit the low risk FI route.

I know this is a load more money but I think it's the best option for various reasons.

What do you think?

Bronx
22nd Mar 2015, 11:45
Please inbox me

Inbox me? :rolleyes:

helimutt
22nd Mar 2015, 12:18
Hecate
You must be doing something wrong or youve upset someone, if you have thousands of hours, experience on different types and onshore.offshore EASA licence and cant get any work? I know a couple of places that need drivers urgently. You mustnt be looking hard enough. :E

AlfonsoBonzo
22nd Mar 2015, 16:41
" I know a couple of places that need drivers urgently "

Could you please tell me who in a PM?

GoodGrief
22nd Mar 2015, 19:33
Yeah, me too, please.

danmansell
22nd Mar 2015, 21:29
I appreciate all of your feedback, maybe I could've improved the wording....

However, the reason I was offering to work in exchange to fly is to continue to gain experience until I get a fulltime job in the aviation industry. I need money as much as the next man, I'm working fulltime to get by, but it is not in the aviation industry, it's not flying, and it's not making use of the qualifications that I have.

At the moment, as is made clear, the industry isn't great for new low hour pilots such as myself, so any flying opportunities that arise, I would jump at the chance, hence posting on here to expose myself to such opportunities. Not only this, once a career break comes my way, it means I have been keeping up skills, RT, scan etc.

I also appreciate that working for free or cheap rates could devalue the professional pilot, this isn't my intention and I sincerely hope I wont be in this position long term.

It would be a means to an end, to increase my experience. My other option is to not fly at all until paid employment comes my way....which could be a while!

Hecate - If you haven't already, contact NHV. They require minimum hours of 500 which of course you meet, but I rang them, seemed nice and very helpful. They are also opening in the UK with some 175's offshore.

Camp Freddie - I have looked at the FI route, however, it's more outlay that I don't have at the moment and can't quite justify only 8 weeks post IR, so I'm not panicking just yet, still something to think about in the future.

Logicfreezone - Very well said on all parts. It wasn't meant to be the main focus, however, like I said, my wording could've been better and I do appreciate that we shouldn't devalue the role.

fluffy5
23rd Mar 2015, 04:55
I would suggest international work while your IR is still current. Middle East Africa or where ever. But with that comes some experience on multi engine. Most of the low houred pilots doing IR's this year will be in for a shock, if not next year as well. Globally the offshore and other company's are contracting and becoming less stable. My opinion is that there will not be an upturn for another 18 months. The guys getting the chop from a few places will take the jobs back when they are required. Some getting dumped in Europe will attempt the Middle East or west star, maybe quite a few when the opportunity arises to go back to Europe they will go back and shut out the new inexperienced IR pilot.
Nigeria is crapping itself, Middle East is not that great, international offshore have reduced all exploration, employment freezes and redundancies around the world. So I would agree with Camp Freddie that the viable route would be the instructor route, just to keep the bread on the table.

Fluffy

helimutt
23rd Mar 2015, 11:28
This is the downturn. It happens. Watch in a couple of years there'll be rush to get bums on seats in the upturn again like they did back in 2005/6.

choppertop
23rd Mar 2015, 12:47
Barely six months ago it was bonanza time offshore after several lean years, they said. They were even advertising for pilots. 'Twas jobs a-go-go. A short-lived bonanza as it turned out.

topik22
23rd Mar 2015, 14:52
Dear Danmansell,
If I were You....
I will probably try to find position in Asia on R22/R44/R66.
So firstly visit RHC website and try to find R44 dealer in Asia who is from UK:)
You will stay there for 3-5 years to collect 2000 h, maybe You will fly in SE turbine.
During that time validate Your EASA licence to FAA. Air Methods has just ordered 200 new helicopters.
After 3-5 years of flying You will see what could be the best option.
I think flying offshore is nice paid job, but EMS/HEMS is better for Yourself. You can serve Your people, You can help them in the way how well You are with cyclic and collective:)
I hope You can find Your way.
Greets
Jacek

Camp Freddie
23rd Mar 2015, 16:15
You only have to go somewhere like Cranfield to see how things have changed, at the turn of the century they were super busy. With lots of helicopter activity from Burmans and Cabair.

If you go there now, there are no Heli operators at all. With the consequent loss of opportunities for newbie pilots, quite depressing really.

Not an unusual picture I think

Camp Freddie
23rd Mar 2015, 17:37
Mr Hecate,

I agree about the "risk", I think the IR and FI route could be summarised more accurately as "higher" and "lower" risk, rather than high/low.

Unless you lucky to be on a salary from an onshore operator, I would imagine being a freelance pilot these days is becoming more like being an MP i.e. not on its own generating enough cash and requiring a second income stream to make it a viable option, it's only advantage is that it keeps you flying and increases your hours.

The Instructor rate as far as I can tell hasnt broadly changed since around 1985, i.e. About £45ph and inflation eroded to hell

Woolf
26th Mar 2015, 20:04
To quote Austin Powers - "Saucer of Milk, table two...meow!"