PDA

View Full Version : Airlines? Corporate? Or... just stay put?

Hooker47
20th Mar 2015, 04:42
Hello all, I'm a helicopter EMS pilot working for a pretty good company and have been trying to decide what I want to do when I grow up. Any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Here's my situation. I'm working in the U.S. and don't have very many warm fuzzies about the future of HEMS. I foresee a massive contraction in the near future as skyrocketing costs catch up with restrained prices. As such, I'm working on getting multi/instrument airplane add-on and eventually perhaps an ATP.

The question, then, is whether I would be an idiot to forgo a potentially decent career close to the ground or try my hand at flying higher up with wings that stay put? And if I go the fixed wing route, is is wiser to go airlines, cargo, or corporate?

Thanks!

portsharbourflyer
20th Mar 2015, 16:04
As you are state side I wouldn't know the state of your "local" market.

But as you are rotary have you not considered looking at the Offshore sector/ Oil gas field support work.

Again I wouldn't know geographically how that stands for you? Or indeed if you would need to look at some kind of overseas ex-pat contract work to break into that sector.

But have been led to believe the OPG stuff tends to pay ok.

Hooker47
21st Mar 2015, 01:48
I'm doing everything I can to avoid oil and fire. I used to fly offshore rigs and absolutely despised every minute of it. No more!

Perhaps I'm just stuck in the "grass is greener" mindset...

Skycop
21st Mar 2015, 09:05
I used to fly offshore rigs and absolutely despised every minute of it. No more!

Flying the rigs is probably as close to airline flying as you can get in the helicopter profession.... the only major difference is the takeoff and landing.

Probably a good idea to ask yourself: "What did I hate about it?".

Having flown helicopters for some years, I wanted a change. So, well over twenty years ago I obtained my commercial fixed wing licence. Then I sat on a few airline jump seats and thought "Oops, I couldn't do this; too boring!" So I never have.

redsnail
21st Mar 2015, 11:26
You might be a good fit for a corporate outfit that runs jets and helos. There are some around but you'll need to work those contacts.
Good luck.