PDA

View Full Version : C55 Baron VH-CFG

Dora-9
19th Mar 2015, 22:27
Does anyone know the fate or whereabouts (although it's unlikely it sill exists) of this Baron, formerly Doug Muir's VH-DMB?

Thanks.

Fris B. Fairing
20th Mar 2015, 00:11
Dora

From

Tony Arbon's website (http://www.austairdata.com.au/)

Registration VH-CFG
Type Beech 95-C55 Baron
Constructor's Number TE-76
Previous Registrations VH-DMB N9473S
Registration Date 121067
Fate/Remarks
040981 Wfu
280582 Rest
080794 Cr at Halls Creek WA

Rgds

Dora-9
20th Mar 2015, 01:55
Thank you Mr Fairing, Sir!

I never thought to use Tony's site - derr!

This Baron (actually, as Doug Muir's VH-DMB, the very first C55 to arrive in Australia) features in the AAA's latest Rage & Tube, I'd often wondered what happened to her..

Thanks again,

D9

gerry111
20th Mar 2015, 15:34
I'm pleased to report that another fine Beechcraft aircraft, VH-CFK from that time continues to fly with her original registration. It's a beautiful V35 Bonanza and has provided me with quite a few hours of brilliant fun. :)

Dora-9
20th Mar 2015, 20:25
gerry111:

Yes, I was delighted to see CFK at Caboolture a few years back - another flood of memories.

Not quite the sole survivor of the 1960's CFS fleet now (C55's CFA and CFB are still on the register too), also FDV (a Beech 65) is still around - employed by CFS, I flew many hours "bringing a mantle of rescue and salvation to the people of the Kimberley" in this one, based in Derby.

If you've read the Rag & Tube article, both Barons mentioned - C55 CFG and B55 CFO - met their ends in a remarkably similar fashion; both were lost in mismanaged nocturnal departures.

Trent 972
21st Mar 2015, 05:07
gerry111, saw your machine recently. Looking real good.
Quick question if I may.
CFK is owned by CMLN PTY. LTD.
Is that company related to prolific ppruner Clinton Mckenzie per chance?
Perhaps you and creampuff and clinton could all get together to let me know.
A phone box should be a big enough venue.

gerry111
21st Mar 2015, 11:02
Dora-9,

Sadly, these days I am only a safety pilot for GA aircraft. (I've been into cost sharing with Clinton for around 30 years.) And we've had some wonderful adventures together, over those years. We both love the inland that so few Australians get to see below 9500'.

Great to hear that there are other aircraft from the CFS fleet still flying. And to hear some of your experiences. :)

gerry111
21st Mar 2015, 11:14
Trent 972,

It doesn't really take a lot of detective work to track down the owner of a VH registered aircraft. And you are indeed correct that I am not the owner. Nor have I ever claimed to be so.

But I'm not prepared to play your silly game here. :ugh:

Now's here a question for you. How many hours of flying have you done in GA aircraft during the last year? In command or as passenger?

Jabawocky
21st Mar 2015, 13:14
I can confirm CFK at YCAB that weekend Dora.....I can even tel you the dates and why :ok:

But if Gerry, the owner and the other alleged identities and myself all got together for a party we would need a lot more than a phone box.

Trent, you are normally a pretty sharp shot, but this time about 6MOA high :ok:

triadic
21st Mar 2015, 23:52
If my memory serves me correctly, both V35's at CFS in the 60's were CFK and CFH. Both arrive brand new, K had a better avionics set up than H which was on line for private hire. K was used for charter and IFR training. B33 CFF I recall was also on line, and I had the pleasure of flying all 3. They were good days up by the pine trees, with Jock & Peter B running a good ship.:D

Dora-9
22nd Mar 2015, 01:56
triadic:

There was also V35 CFC.

The vast majority of the CFS fleet was based in WA; virtually all the twins and a similar-sized flying school. The exception was His Majesty's flagship BIB (a B90 King Air), but God help any mere mortal who had the gall to even stand near this, let alone touch it!

A quick trawl through my log book produced these, all flown in WA:

Queen Air's: CFI, CFD, CTE (all 65's), ASY & DRW (A65-8200's). And as mentioned before, FDV.
Barons: CFT (A55), CFJ (was BIB) & CFO (B55's), CFA, CFB, CFG (was DMG), CFR & CFS (C55's).
Travel Air: CFQ (was DMF)
Bonanzas: CFC, CFK, CFH (V35's)
Debonair: CFF (B33)
Musketeer: DEG, CFQ, CFA, CFR
Navajo: CFE
Aztec: CVG
Cherokees: MEL, MEX, MEY, CFU, CFO.
Comanche: CFE

Quite a fleet!

FGD135
22nd Mar 2015, 06:28
Hi Dora-9,

Just a youngster, was I, in the days of CFS. I have fond memories of their Queen Airs. You may well have flown me in one. What happened to Civils?

http://www.edcoatescollection.com/ac1/austcl/VH-CFG.jpg

Dora-9
22nd Mar 2015, 07:07
That's a much younger me! I had dark hair then - still not sure where all the time has gone...

They got quite heavily involved in Third Level RPT, and I think CFS morphed into part of Sky West - certainly Sky West took over their routes. The company was de-registered as late as 2000.

Can anyone else fill in the gaps?

sagan
22nd Mar 2015, 07:22
I flew it around Brisbane in 1983 when it was on line at a school at Archerfield. But I have it logged as an E55 ?

Dora-9
22nd Mar 2015, 11:38
Most certainly a C55. CFG was first registered (as DMB) in 1967, Beech introduced the E55 in 1970.

Stationair8
22nd Mar 2015, 22:32
Got to love the OH&S approved ladder and invisible safety vest that the pilot is wearing!

The Musketeer time must have helped getting that airline job Dora-9!

BSD
22nd Mar 2015, 22:49
FGD135,

Lovely pic, where was it taken? Nannup?

BSD.

Dora-9
23rd Mar 2015, 00:14
The Musketeer time must have helped getting that airline job Dora-9! Just my charm and good looks really...

BSD - the photo was taken at Manjimup.

sagan
23rd Mar 2015, 00:45
Thanks Dora, she was red and white back then. Will post a pic if I can find one.

BSD
23rd Mar 2015, 08:34
Cheers Dora, should have spotted it was Manjimup: spent time there firespotting '74-'75.

There was a Baron based there, another ex Civil's one I think. Belonged to a local engineering company.

Logbook check: last Manjimup entry was a 58 Baron, FMR.

BSD.

p.s thread drift? You are right and you all have my apologies but they were exciting times and there wasn't a wretched LCC in sight! Pilots even got paid to fly, can you imagine that? And, Barons were a sheers delight.

stilton
23rd Mar 2015, 08:43
What a great looking Baron, the finest light twin ever made from the 'Boeing of light aircraft'

Spent many nights by myself in one through some pretty crappy weather and it took very good care of me, simply the best !

Dora-9
23rd Mar 2015, 10:41
BSD:

Another Manjimup photo from the same time as the earlier one, this is B55 VH-CFO:

http://i10.photobucket.com/albums/a144/Blithering/VH-CFO2_zpsweswfjcx.jpg (http://s10.photobucket.com/user/Blithering/media/VH-CFO2_zpsweswfjcx.jpg.html)

stilton:

I totally agree, they were (are) great aircraft - I loved every minute I spent in Barons.

gerry111
23rd Mar 2015, 14:06
Thanks so much for the photo, Dora-9.
I'll bet that sounded rather well for those on the ground!
Low and fast in a Baron? You sadly don't get to see that often these days!:ok:

Stationair8
24th Mar 2015, 22:09
Dora-9, I showed these photos to a friend who is a retired MMA traffic officer and mentioned that the CFS Barons racked a huge amount of hours each week on crew changes. He mentioned something like 1500 hours plus a year?

Didn't Civils also have the first 690 Commander in Australia on crew changes as well?

BSD
24th Mar 2015, 23:04
Dora-9,

Cracking photo! What a lovely, evocative shot. Makes looking at PPRUNE worthwhile.

I'm away "down route" but I have a similar photo of myself also taken at Manjimup at home. I'll see if I can find it and post it here for a swift game of "Baron snap"

Happy days, great planes.

BSD.

Dora-9
25th Mar 2015, 02:28
Stationaire:

I'm not sure what you mean by crew changes. I left CFS in 1970 for other (greener) pastures, the only turbine in the fleet then was His Majesty's B90 King Air.

Stationair8
25th Mar 2015, 02:41
Dora-9, he was referring to rig or mining FIFO from out of the North West shelf project.

Dora-9
25th Mar 2015, 04:53
Only thing I recall fitting that description was Barrow Island when they moved a rig into the splay making it too short for MMA's Friendships...

Givelda
25th Mar 2015, 05:46
For a while in early 1979, I flew for Peter Rundel who had one of the first contracts to carry out Coastal Surveillance in the Gulf. I arrived from Bundy in our Aero Club's C310R, VH-TDS, but was also given an endorsement to fly the Baron in Peter's collection of his own and cross hired aircraft.

I took this photo of "CFG" in Townsville I believe, in April 1979 (with my trusty but none to clear pocket Kodak 110 camera) and by the look of the markings on the tail, this was one he "imported" into his fleet.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h349/andyinsing/Baron%20VH-CFG%2002_zpsvm4n5cbl.jpg

The other Baron I flew at that time, was this one - VH-TOE. I think this was taken up in Weipa.

http://i1105.photobucket.com/albums/h349/andyinsing/Baron%20VH-TOE_zpswiuxyaqt.jpg

Dora-9
25th Mar 2015, 10:02
TOE is an old friend, it was purchased new by Wigmore Tractors in Perth in the late 1960's, and flown almost exclusively by the late Don Attwell. It was painted in a ghastly overall yellow colour scheme, which reflected all the heavy earth-moving equipment they sold & serviced.

triadic
25th Mar 2015, 11:33
Speaking of Civil's in the west late 60's - early 70's.... Is Barry Tate still about?
Last heard of in CBR with his own outfit.

Sad to about Don Attwell. Used to see him in DB fairly often back then.

Dora-9
25th Mar 2015, 18:12
triadic - PM sent

triadic
26th Mar 2015, 00:38
Dora, thanks... check yours