PDA

View Full Version : A 320 select speed in abnormal procedures

Espero
19th Mar 2015, 13:59
Hello everybody,
During my A320 type rating course, my instructor has told me that everytime I have to increase the Vapp with speed additives due to abnormal or emergency procedures, I have to perform approach no in Speed Managed but in Speed Select.
I have tried to find something in the FCOM or FTCM but with no result.
Has someone a reference to give me?
Thank you guys.

Freelander
19th Mar 2015, 16:41
What kind of emergency? Maybe its related to slats or flaps jam.

Espero
19th Mar 2015, 21:22
Hi Freelander, not only flaps/slats jammed, but all the abnormal/emergency procedures that require speed additives.

vilas
20th Mar 2015, 13:11
Espero
You can't find any reference because there is none. It is not because of speed additives but because the slat/flap jam requires a different way of configuring the aircraft, abnormality that has slat/flap problem select speed is recommended. That is also not necessary after you select final landing configuration( flap3) since you have amended your Vapp in PERF page. You can go managed if you wish.

Espero
20th Mar 2015, 16:16
Hi Vilas, thank you for your answer. I have had some doubts because the instructor showed me a Conversion Course Manual of an European Flag Carrier where they say that.
But, as you mention, no references on FCOM or FCTM.

Microburst2002
22nd Mar 2015, 09:54
Any particular case where you have to execute the approach with selected speed will be specified.

Elsewise, managed speed is recommended.

Groove330
22nd Mar 2015, 23:56
For example , check in the G+B HYD summary in the QRH :

FOR FLAPS EXTENSION

SPD SEL ..........VFE NEXT-5 KT

G.Green
27th Mar 2015, 14:37
Vilas,

Despite the statement in the QRH Landing with Slats or Flaps Jammed "Approach with selected speed is recommended" it is mandatory in my airline to use selected.

I assume this requirement is to arrest the groundspeed mini function from becoming problematic especially when field length limited. And for a Flap 0 landing for the 10kt Vref decrease when nearing the fence.

sonicbum
27th Mar 2015, 14:55
Same here.

vilas
28th Mar 2015, 01:44
If you have a company procedure you have no option but to follow it. Some people are not comfortable with GS mini concept. Flaps 0 case you have to reduce speed later so it can only be done in select speed.

G.Green
28th Mar 2015, 10:56
Some people are not comfortable with GS mini concept.

Its not so much that but of the possibility of inaccurate tower wind reporting (especially if you have a limiting runway with abnormal flap configuration) which this writer has encountered quite a few times.

vilas
29th Mar 2015, 00:24
GG
That seems to be a fair assumption.

Starbear
30th Mar 2015, 06:29
Actually, I think what your instructor is covering is that following certain failures, the FM doesn't always know the landing config and if managed speed is used the A/T will not allow speed reduction below "F" (or even "S") and so the only ways to fly at Vapp is using selected speed or manual thrust.

He/she may have taking a broad brush approach by saying this is required with all speed additive scenarios but thats not true.