PDA

View Full Version : Tour inside the E-4B NAOC 'Doomsday Plane '.

coldair
19th Mar 2015, 05:05
Interesting video of a tour inside of the E-4B NAOC 'Doomsday Plane'

I was especially interested in the coms set up, from VLF to SHF frequencies.

Surprised that this is not classified as secret.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maZdUtB0ojs

coldair

Pontius Navigator
19th Mar 2015, 09:09
Had a tour round Looking Glass once, noted all the freaks had been dialled down :)

stilton
19th Mar 2015, 09:13
It looks ancient !

chopper2004
19th Mar 2015, 13:58
It sure does, though one did pop in sunny Suffolk 1 year and 9 months ago...funnily enough on a Monday in June, the same week of Paris Airshow. I had seen photos as that day I was supposed to have been a guest of the Osprey folks (but was all delays)

@ Pontius, they let a Brit on board? :mad: I would have thought it be NOFORN...cool, you were not on exchange to them at the time?

Cheers

Pontius Navigator
19th Mar 2015, 16:04
Chopper, nope, the whole Crew, we also toured the bunker as well. Impressive, everyone carried a side arm except the guy that controlled the launch codes.

Very Dr Strangelove. Our host was Gp Capt Ulf Burberry.

Heathrow Harry
19th Mar 2015, 17:02
two thoughts:-

1. The Chinese probaly have 10,000 people buildign a replica right now watching the video over and over and over - scaling dimensions, looking at 15 year old US radio catalogues .............

2. Can you image in the mass heart -attack if Pres. Putin asked the Russian Air Force to show off THEIR NACP???

Pontius Navigator
19th Mar 2015, 18:12
HH, do remember when they invited the US Sec Def to sit in the cockpit of a Blackjack?

They picked the right guy as he had no clue what he was looking at.

NRU74
19th Mar 2015, 20:49
Aahh.....trailing aerial.....but no morse key !
Memories !

West Coast
20th Mar 2015, 05:58
No idea to the veracity of the claim, but online reference indicates the AF keeps the older equipment to minimize the effects of an EMP pulse. While the video indicates the aircraft is hardened, I imagine multiple layers of defense are employed.

Heathrow Harry
20th Mar 2015, 16:28
Pontius

Sounds like Heselteeth on a regular basis......... no photo opportunity left unused................

glad rag
20th Mar 2015, 16:47
Pretty interesting, thanks for posting.