PDA

View Full Version : FI(A) Certificate - Renewal

Happy Wanderer
13th Mar 2015, 19:15
My FI certificate expired at the end of last year, and although I'm not currently instructing, I wish to renew it.

I'm trying to understand the relevant wording in CAP804 (Section 4 Part J pg 6 refers):

If the FI certificate has lapsed, the applicant shall, within a period of 12 months before renewal: (1) attend an instructor refresher seminar; (2) pass an assessment of competence with FCL.935

It's the within a period of 12 months before renewal bit I'm finding confusing given my certificate has already expired! Renewal of what exactly? I take it I just need to (a) attend a seminar, and (2) pass the competence assessment? Do both need to be completed within a stipulated time frame?

Hoping someone can clarify.

Many thanks :ok:

Whopity
13th Mar 2015, 19:26
It's the within a period of 12 months before renewal bit I'm finding confusing Within a period of 12 months you must attend a FI Seminar and pass an assessment of competence to Renew your FI Certificate. If its still currrent, you Revalidate it, if its expired you Renew it.

Do both need to be completed within a stipulated time frame?
Yes, 12 months.

Provided the Certificate is listed in Part XII of your licence, either the Seminar Provider or the FIE can Renew it, but if its on the back of your licence, only the CAA can renew it, and that process is included in the 12 months.

Happy Wanderer
13th Mar 2015, 23:57
Thanks Whopity. Just to be clear, my FI cert lapsed on 31/12/14 and it's listed (now expired) in section XII of my EASA licence. The bit that was confusing me was the 'within a period of 12 months before renewal' which, if taken literally, has already happened - it's in the past! So as I understand it, provided I both attend the instructor refresher seminar AND pass an assessment of competence within a 12 month window, I could feasibly renew the lapsed FI cert at any time, e.g. one, three of five years after it expired. Is that right?

Thanks,

HW

Mach Jump
14th Mar 2015, 00:08
Hi HW.

As I read it, for 'renewal' you have to attend a Seminar, pass an AoC, and 'renew' within the 12 months.

If it's listed in the 'Expired' section (on the back) of your EASA licence, you will have to send it back to them to put it on the 'Active' (front) side. This is the 'administrative action' required to Renew your Rating, and must be completed within the 12 months.

MJ:ok:

Whopity
14th Mar 2015, 18:35
The bit that was confusing me was the 'within a period of 12 months before renewal' which, if taken literally, has already happened - it's in the past! "Renewal" is the action taken to place an entry in Section XII Certificate of Revalidation. The cerificate has expired, but renewal has not yet occurred! As you still have it listed in XII ratings, certificates and privileges, then no CAA action is required. The thing to be aware of is that should any CAA licensing action be needed before you renew the FI, then it will be removed from the licence and placed on the back, then you will have to pay to have it renewed by the CAA.