PDA

View Full Version : Getting an FAA License with an EASA License

TheSkiingPilot
13th Mar 2015, 07:42
I've heard that there is a new law which allows EASA ATPL holders to obtain an FAA License just through paperwork and money...is this true? It'd be good to hold an FAA License as well as an EASA one, in case European Airline employment falls. Apparently one can be issued with an FAA with the use of an EASA.

MarkerInbound
13th Mar 2015, 08:56
It's not a new law. It's been on the books for as long as I can remember. And there's no money involved, at least on the FAA's part. Of course you do have to get to the U.S. And you'll only get a private certificate.

ChickenHouse
13th Mar 2015, 09:30
Do you mean validation (cost almost nothing and is there since a long long time for EASO2FAA, just recently the other way around as well) or full license? With validation you receive a FAA PPL(based on foreign license) with some ratings, where you can top the rest. Validation: http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/ is mainly paperworks and oral at an FSDO, plus a one hour practical instruction and checkflight. The oral can also be done in Europe, as there are some examiners traveling - for such look at the announcements at AOPA (but does cost some money, I heard englishman Adam House from Derbyshire charges £385 via AOPA for that). For full license all your EASA hours and theory may be taken instead of FAA's, so you only have to do the exams though.

cavok_flyer
13th Mar 2015, 10:24
Got my EASA PPL-A validated to a FAA PPL this summer in Reno (We were going on vacation to Lake Tahoe, anyways). You need up to a 3 month wait to get the paperwork back from the FAA. After you receive the confirmation you have 6 months to get the license validated. You have to specify the FSDO in the application; go to that FSDO in the States, they compare their information with the reply you received and Bob's your uncle, you are good to go. The "hour" interview is only to see if you can speak english. At FSDO Reno, no flight was required since if your current EASA license is valid AND the FAA PPL is based on it, then logically you do not need to do a flight to prove you can fly. This is the policy in Reno; I have read that in Florida that they require a check flight. Yes, you can use this Adam guy to do the same, but if time allows I would definitely recommend taking 2 weeks and go to the States to do this. I can only say positive things about Mark at FSDO Reno and how great made the experience. AND flying around Reno in the desert just made the trip and the expenses worthwhile.
If you want to use your US licence outside of the States, you also require a FCC license. This can be obtained online and costs 60USD.

And no, there is no "easy" way to get your EASA ATPL converted to a FAA ATPL without tests, classroom, etc.

ifitaintboeing
13th Mar 2015, 10:36
You can obtain a FAA license issued on the basis of your EASA licence, commonly referred to as a "piggy back" licence issued in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75. This depends on your ICAO licence being current and valid in all respects, and is issued as a FAA Private (restricted) certificate.

Airmen Certification ? Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

Otherwise, you may be referring to the long awaited US-EU BASA agreement which is due shortly. This will (initially) allow private pilots and instrument rated pilots to obtain a FAA license on the basis of a EASA licence and vice versa with fewer conversion requirements than at present. The draft agreement is on the FAA website:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs800/media/Pilot_Licensing_Summary.pdf

ifitaintboeing
14th Mar 2015, 09:24
At FSDO Reno, no flight was required since if your current EASA license is valid AND the FAA PPL is based on it, then logically you do not need to do a flight to prove you can fly. This is the policy in Reno

This is a common misconception and is incorrect. Your FSDO need to read FAA Order 8900.1 on the Flight Standards Information Management System (FSIMS) which provides guidance to FSDOs and DPEs on how to issue a FAA license in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75.

FSIMS Document Viewer (http://fsims.faa.gov/PICDetail.aspx?docId=8900.1,Vol.5,Ch2,Sec14)

Section 14 Issue a Part 61 U.S. Pilot Certificate on the Basis of a Foreign Pilot License
5-596 PILOT CERTIFICATE REQUIREMENTS.

D. Compliance. A person who is exercising the privileges of his or her U.S. pilot certificate must comply with the pertinent rules and requirements contained in part 61 and in 14 CFR part 91 (e.g., § 61.56 flight review requirements, recency of experience requirements, § 61.58 PIC proficiency check, and § 61.51 required logbook entries). A flight review must have been administered by the holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings. The proficiency checks administered by a foreign flight instructor do not count as meeting the flight review requirements of § 61.56.

5-603 PROCEDURES. [for the FSDO or DPE to follow when issuing the FAA certificate in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75]
I. Discuss Relevant Regulations with the Applicant. Advise the applicant about the rules and requirements contained in part 61 and in part 91 (e.g., flight review requirements, recency of experience requirements, and required logbook entries). As a point of emphasis, make clear to the applicant that a flight review (refer to § 61.56) must be administered by the holder of an FAA flight instructor certificate with the appropriate ratings before he or she may exercise the privileges of his or her U.S. pilot certificate. The proficiency checks administered by a foreign flight instructor do not count as meeting the flight review requirements of § 61.56.

MarkerInbound
14th Mar 2015, 10:36
The 61.75 pilot certificate is issued without any ground school or flying. You are not current to exercise the privileges of that certificate (or any FAA pilot certificate) unless you have completed a flight review in accordance with 61.56 within the last 24 months.* I've never heard of the FAA signing off a flight review. It consists of at least one hour ground school and one hour in flight. It can easily be done as part of an aircraft checkout. If it is a foreign pilot with a wet 61.75 it would be a few hours of ground school before I put my signature in their logbook.

*There are exceptions for airline pilots and if you complete a checkride for a FAA certificate that counts as a FR.

Gomrath
18th Mar 2015, 23:37
Quite correct as noted above.
You must complete the Flight Review as that effectively starts the clock ticking for the validity period of 24 months for the US certificate. It is irrelevant as to whether you flew the day before in your own country on your own national license.
Also as stated the Flight Review is a MINIMUM of 1 hour ground and in the air and that is for a seasoned US pilot who knows the regulations inside out.

Anybody completing the ground in an hour who has never studied the FAR/AIM did not receive an adequate ground review - in my opinion; and any self respecting Instructor shouldn't put his name to it.
The flight portion might be squeezed into an hour but you should assume at least two - again in my opinion.

Whiskey Hotel
19th Mar 2015, 21:46
Is it possible to get a frozen atpl converted to FAA? Or must it be unfrozen?

multycpl
20th Mar 2015, 03:05
No such thing as a 'frozen ATPL' in FAA land. (or anywhere really....).

What you have is a CPL with ATP written test passed. This CPL can be piggybacked into a FAA private.

To quote ifitaintboeing

"You can obtain a FAA license issued on the basis of your EASA licence, commonly referred to as a "piggy back" licence issued in accordance with 14 CFR 61.75. This depends on your ICAO licence being current and valid in all respects, and is issued as a FAA Private (restricted) certificate.

Airmen Certification ? Verify the Authenticity of a Foreign License, Rating, or Medical Certification (http://www.faa.gov/licenses_certificates/airmen_certification/foreign_license_verification/)

Otherwise, you may be referring to the long awaited US-EU BASA agreement which is due shortly. This will (initially) allow private pilots and instrument rated pilots to obtain a FAA license on the basis of a EASA licence and vice versa with fewer conversion requirements than at present. The draft agreement is on the FAA website:

http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/...ng_Summary.pdf (http://www.faa.gov/about/office_org/headquarters_offices/avs/offices/afs/afs800/media/Pilot_Licensing_Summary.pdf) "