PDA

View Full Version : Opinions on LASIK

BAW1935
12th Mar 2015, 20:36
Hi guys,

I was wondering whether you would be willing to share your opinion on getting LASIK done before starting training, and also whether anyone has had it done?

Thank you!

snchater
13th Mar 2015, 10:10
I asked my opthalmic colleagues the same question - their reply (2 years ago) was that no NHS consultant ophthalmologist had undergone the procedure themselves .

Whilst the outcome is usually very good no surgical procedure is without risk.

Please do not just take advice from private opthalmic service providers.

Dr SN Chater

Loose rivets
13th Mar 2015, 12:45
Some years before that, an eye surgeon here in Essex said the same thing - but he added, 'nor a member of their family.'

I'd need to know a qualified operator was doing the work. I got a bad feeling some years ago that certain investors were sneaking in with white coats on.

One investor had at one time, again years ago, 1,700 plus lawsuits pending.

Having said all this, there are a lot of people that can see better than ever before. Older patients might consider waiting for a cataract if there's a hint of one, which will give them a new lens.

Then there's the exploding eye thing. I know little about that, but I gather one has to have it done a year before depressurizing it. :ouch:

MaximumPete
13th Mar 2015, 14:40
I agree withsnchater on this one.

I've just had cataract surgery for both eyes, the first in January and the second this week.

I can now drive at night, put the car in the garage without risk of scraping it and found out what HD television's like.

I've let my PPL lapse and have no intention of renewing it but I understand the waiting time from surgery to regaining Class 1 medical can be as little as six weeks.

MP;)