PDA

View Full Version : Skier struck by aircraft making a forced landing

sitigeltfel
12th Mar 2015, 14:21
A Jodel, making an emergency landing on the piste at Avoriaz, struck and badly injured a 55 year old Polish skier.

Une skieuse grièvement blessée par un avion de tourisme à Avoriaz (http://www.bfmtv.com/societe/une-skieuse-grievement-blessee-par-un-avion-de-tourisme-a-avoriaz-868681.html)

snapper1
13th Mar 2015, 16:38
Surprised this hasn't attracted more attention. I know the ski area quite well but hadn't taken much notice of the 'altiport' before. It looks lethal; chair-lift and piste directly under the approach/climb-out. Here's a video of a normal flight. Any comments?

Avoriaz - YouTube

maxred
13th Mar 2015, 21:04
Dear Christ, that looks like fun.:ouch: I like the bit where he stuffs the nose down, pulls back a bit then touches down half way up the hill.

Whatever turns you on I suppose, but, perhaps predicably, ruined someone's day.

Straighten Up
13th Mar 2015, 23:48
That is bonkers! I was snowboarding there the day before this accident. Glorious weather although can't imagine who'd think to put a runway half way up a mountain.

Solar
14th Mar 2015, 07:01
Looks like great craic.
An accident is an accident no matter where it happens, if it happened in a built up area surrounding an airport there will always be the hindsighters asking why have an airport there.
Obviously not having been there we don't know but why was the engine still running which presumably was the reason the lady was so badly injured. I would have thought that if you couldn't get the plane stopped or flying again and there were people ahead that killing the engine would be a priority.

snapper1
14th Mar 2015, 16:22
When I said it looked 'lethal' I meant from a skier's point of view. No way will I get on that chairlift while the altiport is active!