PDA

View Full Version : Boeing, Saab Unveil Small Diameter Bomb

ORAC
10th Mar 2015, 20:10
Did someone mention CAS in a contested battlefield? Designation by stealth drone? And why not the same for Brimstone et al?

Boeing, Saab Unveil Small Diameter Bomb (http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/land/weapons/2015/03/10/boeing-saab-small-diameter-bomber-ground-launch/24705183/)

WASHINGTON — Boeing and Saab have teamed up to develop a Ground Launched Small Diameter Bomb (GLSDB) program, with three successful test launches of the new system completed last month.

The three tests, conducted at a range in Sweden, proved that the Boeing and Saab design could successfully launch a SDB weapon from the ground, sync up with GPS and guide the weapon to its target, opening up what Beth Kluba, vice president for Boeing Weapons and Missile Systems, called "all-angle, all-aspect attack."

The system essentially sticks a GBU-39B small diameter bomb, widely used by the US military and a number of international customers, on the front of a M26 rocket. The M26 is set to be demilitarized by 2018 under a set of cluster munitions treaties, meaning the GLSDB program would essentially be recycling an item that countries were planning to stockpile or scrap. The weapon is designed to be launched out of a multiple launch rocket system (MLRS), used by a number of US allies already, avoiding the need to design a new launch system. That MLRS can hold six weapons per pod, with two pods per vehicle.

Executives from the two companies are positioning the system as a low-cost product that meets a requirement gap by combining off-the-shelf products. "These are technologies that are already in use," Kluba said. "It's off-the-shelf technology. That really drives the risk down for this new capability."

Once launched, the SDB acts as any air-launched SDB would, which means ground-based commanders now have 360-degree coverage. The weapon can do both high and low angles of attack, fly around terrain to hit targets on the back of mountains, or circle back around to attack a target behind the launch vehicle. Range-wise, the GLSDB can hit targets 150 kilometers in front of the launcher or 70 kilometers behind it.

While declining to put a price range for the system, Kluba said it will be "very affordable" and comparable in price to anything the MLRS currently uses. She also predicted an 18- to 24-month delivery time from when a contract is signed to when the system would be fielded. "This is not developmental, it's not PowerPoint," she said. "It' hardware, it exists, and through our investment we're able to bring this capability to the war fighter very quickly." That investment she mentions is all internal R&D spending, something split between the two companies.

According to Kluba and Saab North America President Michael Andersson, there are ongoing discussions with a number of customers, including several who were present for the weapon tests in February. While Kluba confirmed the US Army is looking at the system, she declined to identify other customers.

Boeing actually began development of the GLSDB system in 2011, but dramatically sped up the process once Saab signed on as a partner in August. Both executives also declined to go into details of how the investment has been split between the two companies. However, it is clear that a big part of Saab's role will be to help sell the system to nations overseas, something in line with previous Boeing teaming efforts.

"From Boeing's point of view, this was something we wanted to do and we were moving towards that goal," Kluba said. "As we conducted out various reviews, we saw an opportunity, because we have a relationship in place with Saab, and as we were looking at the market and how to be most successful in penetrating the global market, we saw an opportunity."

Lonewolf_50
10th Mar 2015, 20:49
I will suggest that an added advantage for the ground commander is that he doesn't have to deal with, or talk to, pilots to get his bomb on target. Some will see that as a plus. :p

What he does have to do, as before, is coordinate airspace de-confliction so that he isn't shooting his MLRS upgraded munition into airspace being used by various friendlies. That de-confliction process would be old hat to most field artillery professionals, one hopes.

You still have to find the enemy target for this to be of any use.

Neat bit of kit, if they can field it.

ORAC
10th Mar 2015, 21:50
As for the effective range, it's a no brainer in having your units facing the threat.... And if it's mobile how long to turn it?

Wander00
10th Mar 2015, 23:08
Am I naïve - sounds like what we used to call mortar, but more range and a lot more guidance!

Flap62
10th Mar 2015, 23:29
Indeed, it's hardly a bomb, small diameter or otherwise. Rocket or mortar maybe but bomb, no.

Clockwork Mouse
10th Mar 2015, 23:45
Flap62

The projectile that is launched from a mortar tube is called a mortar bomb. It commonly comes as HE, illum, coloured smoke and WP.

melmothtw
11th Mar 2015, 08:39
Indeed, it's hardly a bomb, small diameter or otherwise. Rocket or mortar maybe but bomb, no.

That was my initial thought also, but I assume that the rocket motor detaches from the SDB after the launch, leaving it to glide to its target in much the same way as the air-launched version. I guess in that respect, for the terminal phase of its flight it is indeed a (guided) bomb, no?

Flap62
11th Mar 2015, 09:34
If you're on the receiving end it's probably immaterial I suppose.

Lonewolf_50
11th Mar 2015, 12:15
That was my initial thought also, but I assume that the rocket motor detaches from the SDB after the launch, leaving it to glide to its target in much the same way as the air-launched version. I guess in that respect, for the terminal phase of its flight it is indeed a (guided) bomb, no?
That last bit is the part that matters, in terms of what this munition brings to the show. I wonder if they'd put an IR kit to replicate the function of an LGB. Sort of a modification of the old Copperhead round.

Also: Flap62's point is spot on. :ok: