PDA

View Full Version : Flight log

Flying Pinguin
10th Mar 2015, 09:43
Dear all,

I have a question regarding the hours to be logged before being admitted to CPL skill check.
As a premise I can say that I did my PPL with same school and starting always from the same location (except for cross country flights, of course). I had my skill check and then I submitted my logbook to the local CAA which checked my flights and finally granted me the license.

Now I am completing the pre-requisite hours for my CPL and I have some doubts.
I have a few hours (11-12) logged from uncontrolled airstrips in western France and I am very much afraid that the CAA may object that those hours cannot be taken into account as they may not be confirmed by a local log.

Do you have experience with that? I can provide witnesses to prove that I flew the hours, but I am not sure if that is a common practise. I would like to avoid any legal issue, so any suggestion is largely welcome.

Flying Pinguin
12th Mar 2015, 12:30
This is very interesting, unfortunately it doesn't solve my doubts...
Pilot Safety: Safety Pilots and Logging Requirements - (http://blog.covingtonaircraft.com/2013/06/06/pilot-safety-safety-pilots-and-logging-requirements/?utm_source=linkedin&utm_medium=social&utm_content=Oktopost-linkedin-group&utm_campaign=Oktopost-Covington+Aircraft+%233)

BigGrecian
12th Mar 2015, 14:23
That blog is of no use as it is FAA and you are EASA.

Can you get copies of the tech log in case they ever queried it?
It depends on the CA but there is normally some element of trust with hours certification.

parkfell
12th Mar 2015, 15:47
The tech log is part of the verification process should they decide to challenge those hours.
Why might the local log not confirm this?
Why is it only now that you are having doubts, and not when you were planning these trips?

Unless there is some obvious doubt, why not?

You are correct to think that Parker pen flying shows lack of integrity, but not in this case !

ChickenHouse
12th Mar 2015, 16:13
Why should they challenge your logs?

If they really want to check they could always take the radar trajectories, as they store them indefinitely. It sounds a bit as if you are trapped by some kind of German "Hauptflugbuchzwang" (obligation for an airfield to have a flight record documentation) and "Reichsjudenfluchtflugleiter" (ground person to record all flight movements to prevent german jews to bring their wealth out of the country)? In todays surveillance world we do not need these stinkin' freaks, we have ADS-B and Mode-S ... ;-).

Btw: I never heard that your personal flight log must be validated by a respective ground record. Do you have any regulation stating this? How can this be done in countries where there are no ground record, or at private strips, or or or ?

Flying Pinguin
13th Mar 2015, 08:01
Gents, thanks a lot for your comments.

to answer parkfell, when I took my PPL I was not really thinking about continuing up to a CPL so I started flying where it was affordable.

My doubts come from the fact that when I submitted my logbook to obtain the PPL, my CAA contacted the airfield where I did most of my training to confirm some of the flights.
The flights I mentioned initially were done at a privately owned airstrip where there is no such a thing like a controller or a radio operator or any local tech log where take offs and landings are recorded. I can ask the aircraft owner to provide me a declaration with a copy of the a/c book and I hope that would be enough.
I am not a "Parker pilot" and I have no intentions to have legal issues of any kind...

@ Chickenhouse: I had exactly your same understanding until I was informed that the license office had contacted the airport to make a x-check. I tend to believe that something went wrong in the past and now they do spot checks.

parkfell
13th Mar 2015, 11:02
The fact that you got a "clean bill of health" for your PPL flights should indicate to them that you were not "at it". In any event your FTO would have certified your logbook for licence application.

I think you can put your mind at rest as they found no errors last time they checked up on you?:ok:

ChickenHouse
13th Mar 2015, 12:02
@FP: I can not remember times where log entries were not x-checked by spot contacts to some of the entries. They usually pick place, where they expect an answer and leave out the obvious ones.

Flying Pinguin
13th Mar 2015, 14:34
Gents, thanks a lot, you helped to clarify my ideas...:ok: