PDA

View Full Version : Emirates would order up to 200 Airbus A380neos

coffindodger
8th Mar 2015, 01:15
As an retired ex ground eng, now a humble SLF. This I thought could be interesting.

Emirates would order up to 200 Airbus A380neos if Airbus decided to launch the updated version of the aircraft, its top executive says.

“We would replace our old fleet and need to take more for growth,” Emirates Airline President Tim Clark told an audience at the German Council on Foreign Relations here. That requirement would lead Emirates to an additional order for 100-200 aircraft. The airline currently has firm orders for 140 A380s in place, 58 of which have been delivered.

Clark predicts a 10-13% unit cost improvement for the yet-to-be-launched A380neo compared with the current aircraft. He believes that new engines would bring a 10% reduction in fuel burn, and there would be aerodynamic improvements as well as cabin-weight reductions. Emirates is looking at replacing the current economy class seats with next generation seats that are 30% lighter. That alone would take three metric tons of weight out of the aircraft. Emirates operating the A380neo would lead to a “step change in the bottom line” of the company.

Emirates Would Order Up To 200 A380neos | Commercial Aviation content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/emirates-would-order-200-a380neos)

glofish
8th Mar 2015, 03:59
First of all, you can improve more or less any existing aircraft to similar performance enhancements by shedding overweight, installing 30% lighter seats and adding aerodynamic improvements.
Question remains why this is necessary on a basically still new design, compared to say an aging 320 .....

But the catch here is the statement “We would replace our old fleet and need to take more for growth“. This implies that around 130 first series dugongs will roam the second hand market.
Who in their right mind would ever buy/lease such equipment that needs a complete interior refurbishing by taking out the useless shower, spa, bar etc. etc. All gimmicks that go well on shiny EK advertisements, but are basically identified above as necessary “cabin weight reductions”?

Furthermore it is nowhere clear as to who will pay for the necessary developpment costs of a 380neo. The 10–13% cost/fuel improvement coming from an airline executive are a tad less credible than if Airbus would state such figures. That still has to be seen.
Clarks' “ifs" and “woulds” speak volumes. It will certainly not be EK to bear those costs and to participate to the cost of metal left in some desert. So it sounds like a wink to the European taxpayer to fork out more subsidies to AB unless ready to face a shutdown of the dugong chain. It seems that in the wake of European and American resistance to the EK dominance, that will become more difficult for AB to shove it down.

I don't particularly like the A380, but i can see a certain value for a carrier like EK, especially if its performance improves. It will however stay an exotic carrier and the dugong an exotic aircraft.
Nothing wrong with that, but anything somewhat exotic logically has a higher price tag and the potential customers know that, pay for that and proudly take the prestige that comes with it.
Hearing the EK CEO it simply appears that he wants the exotic tag for his airline and his A380 baby, but he wants others to pay the hefty prestige tag that comes with it.

I'd rather bet on a "yes but ..." from Airbus and neither the European taxpayer nor TC will swallow the "but".

White Knight
8th Mar 2015, 04:31
I don't particularly like the A380

Who would have guessed?:rolleyes:

glofish
8th Mar 2015, 04:47
Something constructive to the thread Whitey??

cerbus
8th Mar 2015, 04:51
You know Whitey so well.

donpizmeov
8th Mar 2015, 05:48
Gloie,

I think Timbo, EK and Dubai Inc are all in a pickle with the 380. Its not that they have to like it, its just that there is no alternative. The only way Dubai is planned to grow is through increased Pax numbers through the airport, with some staying to spend. With countries now limiting slots, and destinations they need the extra seats to make the numbers required. Dubai Inc says we need this many passengers and by when, an Timbo jumps and makes it so. He and Dubai are screwed if the line comes to an end.

Re timing of any update if it were to happen, the 773 arrived 1998, and the 773ER in 2004. What happened to 777 orders after the ER arrived?

The new 380 deliveries are already burning 7% less than the initial deliveries. It has no payload restriction on any of its network so far (even summer time). Another 10% improvement ontop of that would put it competitive to the 77x numbers. But they need more than one buyer and some interest to go ahead and build it.

The only reason Timbo is the 380s biggest fan is that he has no other choice.

glofish
8th Mar 2015, 07:09
No argument there, don, we're basically saying the same thing.

EK more or less needs the 380, but with the disappointing numbers ordered, the price for the 380neo would be too high if there is no one to throw in some pennies.

Such a person to be or not to be, that is the question!

TineeTim
8th Mar 2015, 07:39
How about some respect, Don. I believe it's 'Sir Timbo' to plebes like you and me:):)

Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/commercial-aviation/rolls-royce-and-airbus-near-accord-over-a380neo)
the 380neo is going to cost about $2.5 billion. Providing Sir Timbo signs for 200 of them, the development cost is pretty much covered with a fairly small price bump of around $12.5 million each. Alternatively if Airbus does nothing, I think it's possible they won't sell another aircraft. My bet is something will be revealed later this year. When's the Dubai Airshow? ;)

flareflyer
8th Mar 2015, 12:12
Before ordering new aircraft maybe they have to think how to fly the ones that are arriving. Considering that they are cancelling courses because lack of new joiners......

donpizmeov
8th Mar 2015, 12:41
That's interesting Flare, is that rumour or do you have the inside skinny on it?

Taking that I have met no one that received all their leave, and everyone is doing max hours,the numbers at the moment would appear a bit under done.

flareflyer
8th Mar 2015, 13:40
From the inside Don

falconeasydriver
8th Mar 2015, 23:08
Know of several 330 guys having 380 courses cancelled at short notice.

fatbus
8th Mar 2015, 23:47
I know of several 777 guys courses cnx , did not hear of 330 courses being cnx ,did hear they were delayed.
DEC 330 did not bear any fruit.
380 upgrades are full on right now, unofficial hours are lowered

paokara
9th Mar 2015, 04:10
Awesome news

200 A 380s

The Zohan
9th Mar 2015, 06:05
380 upgrades are full on right now, unofficial hours are lowered

hours spent in the bunk count towards the 2,500 required for upgrade.

tz

donpizmeov
9th Mar 2015, 07:45
It always has TZ. As has safety pilot time. It is just SFI time that doesn't. Go figure.

PS. Seems this is one rule that gets changed a lot. I know several fellas that got commands based on total Ek time, bunk and all. But it seems others are held back because bunk time doesn't count. Nothing here would seem to be consistent or fair.

flaphandlemover
9th Mar 2015, 10:15
Pan Am also was a glorious airline...

The funny part:

EK and Pan Am WHERE world leading carriers... One is gone aready...

alwayzinit
9th Mar 2015, 11:08
Flaps, many a true word is spoken in jest.....................

I fear the snowball has been rolling for a while and it's momentum and size only increase.

ironbutt57
9th Mar 2015, 13:16
wonder who's going to operate the "classic" 380's:confused:

nolimitholdem
9th Mar 2015, 13:17
The decline in conditions at EK has been ongoing for some time. Years, really. But to see the speed at which morale has declined, and how rapidly general opinion of the company (within and without) has deteriorated in the last half a year is kind of breathtaking. (Hey, if they didn't want the employees opinions, why did they ask?! ;) )

Empires rise and always fall. And bigger entities have failed on more trivial issues than EK is struggling with.

Fascinating stuff. A slow-motion train wreck. All it needs is a catalyst, and they way they're pushing crews, it wouldn't be hard to speculate what that could be.

Lots of warning shots in those ASR's and fatigue reports. :sad:

cerbus
9th Mar 2015, 14:43
Lots of warning shots but no one is listening.