PDA

View Full Version : The New CBIR-Same rating, cheaper price!

LiamWatt
7th Mar 2015, 14:29
I have just completed the Competency based EASA IR in the UK with a highly reputable school. I think I am correct in saying that PAT (Bournemouth) is one of the first schools to have embraced this new and exciting (because it's potentially less hours, and therefore cheaper) method of gaining the IR. I did mine this winter in two months in 36.8 hours of training at the school. 20 in the sim and 15MEIR in the BE76. This training is then added to my existing 10 hours brought forward from my CPL two years earlier, means that I have achieved an IR in a total on 46.8 hours. As the new minimum hours for issue is 45 and not 55. That's rite a 10 hour saving! And with the ink still fresh on the rating I landed a dream job straight after training. PAT (Professional Air Training), yes I am plugging them because I have been so impressed, were great taskmasters. They included fantastic additional content to the course in GNSS RNAV approaches. Something that's highly relevant today. And got me ready for a first time pass, that I gained, with compliments from the examiner, as did the other student there at the time. Who after arriving, and hearing about the CBIR, switched to this course immediately. He also completed the IR in 45 hours or so and gained a 1st time pass. You will need to pin your ears back and be an above average candidate to take full advantage of the potential saving, but who would turn down this opportunity to save money. The CBIR route has a number of avenues leading to the same outcome and I shall not go into them here. Information notice-2014/129 has more information, as does PAT, and any other subscribing school. If I had my training time again I would now do the IR(R), EN-IR, and then convert to the full IR. You will need to ideally do the Full ATPL exams, but again there are upgrade opportunities for those who have not done so, and wish to fly high performance. I sincerely hope this thread is pushed around as it will save students money, and that's a much needed thing in today's money driven training system. Apologies for not posting the exact details to the CBIR, I only wish to state my example in the hope that you look into this further. Best of luck chaps, happy landings and all that!

Mickey Kaye
9th Mar 2015, 15:20
I think this will become the de facto way to get an IR in the future. There is an IR instructor where I am based who is currently teaching two students via this route with a 3rd to start soon.

They are paying something like 180 an hour all in and that's in a really tidy T67 which is quite a saving on the traditional route.

paco
9th Mar 2015, 18:06
If you want to fly high performance later you will have to do the full IR, but otherwise it is a good entry.

Linda Mollison
9th Mar 2015, 18:43
Not true Paco.

The absence of high performance aircraft privileges are only related to those who do the PPL IR 80 hour Theoretical Knowledge studies.

The 45 hour CBIR can be taken by anyone who has done ATPL, or PPL IR TK. If you have already had your CPL issued or a holder of a BIFM certificate you can get a 10 hour dispensation on the IR course, bringing it down to 35 hours.

There are even further dispensations for people who hold an IMC/IR(R), or EIR rating.

Those who have done the ATPL exams still have high performance aircraft privileges.

As Mickey Kaye says this will become the route everyone takes. We no longer offer the 55 hour IR course, only the 45 hour ME IR (40 hour SE IR)

paco
9th Mar 2015, 19:13
I'm not really talking about flying :) Anyone who has not done IR TK and does the 80 hour TK course for the EIR/CBIR will have to do the full TK later if they want to move on to high performance - this includes CPL according to my CAA rep.

Linda Mollison
9th Mar 2015, 19:40
My understanding is that they only have to do the VFR and IFR high performance exam, not the whole TK again.

paco
9th Mar 2015, 21:32
That's possibly true - nobody really knows what's going on :)

lasseb
24th Mar 2015, 06:27
Paco, that's not correct. EASA has specified an "advanced" bridge course if you want to fly high performance aircraft on the CBIR theory. If you have ATPL theory there is no limit.
Not sure if any flight schools offer it yet though, but if the demand is there ;-)

paco
24th Mar 2015, 08:18
I stand connected, and so will my inspector.... :)

To bridge the bridging gap, so to speak, presumably if you take the full IR exams, that will be OK as well if you're in a hurry. Can't see the demand for doing a bridging course, sadly.

lasseb
24th Mar 2015, 11:46
You should check AMC/GM to part-FCL:
AMC1 FCL.720.A(b)(2)(i)

Parts of it copied below for those who are interested...

(a) A number of aeroplanes certificated for SP operation have similar
performances, systems and navigation capabilities to those more usually
associated with MP types of aeroplanes, and regularly operate within the
same airspace. The level of knowledge required to operate safely in this
environment is not part of, or not included to the necessary depth of
knowledge in the training syllabi for the PPL, CPL or IR(A) but these
licence holders may fly as PIC of such aeroplanes. The additional
theoretical knowledge required to operate such aeroplanes safely is
obtained by completion of a course at an ATO.

(d) Demonstration of acquisition of this knowledge is undertaken by passing
an examination set by ATO. A successful pass of this examination results
in the issue of a certificate indicating that the course and examination
have been completed.

(e) The certificate represents a ‘once only’ qualification and satisfies the
requirement for the addition of all future high performance aeroplanes to
the holder’s licence. The certificate is valid indefinitely and is to be
submitted with the application for the first HPA type or class rating.