PDA

View Full Version : Indiana Jones injured after hard landing on Cali golf course

alexgreyhead
5th Mar 2015, 23:21
Harrison Ford plane crash leaves actor seriously injured
(http://www.theguardian.com/film/2015/mar/06/harrison-ford-plane-crash-leaves-actor-seriously-injured)

Witness reports claim he tried to turn back to the airfield after suffering technical problems on take-off. (Speculation alert)

Blind Squirrel
5th Mar 2015, 23:24
Various reports on how badly he's banged up, but the most recent ones seem to indicate it's just a few skull lacerations. From the pictures, he seems to have done a good job of putting the thing down in one piece.

Harrison Ford Reported Fair After Plane Crash - NBC News (http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/harrison-ford-injured-plane-crash-n318301)

climber314
5th Mar 2015, 23:25
Harrison Ford in "Fair Condition"

Report: Harrison Ford Crashes Small Plane Near Santa Monica Airp - Los Angeles News | FOX 11 LA KTTV (http://tinyurl.com/ktkplcn)

AdamFrisch
5th Mar 2015, 23:31
Yes, this will do wonders for the KSMO haters…. They will have a field day with this in the press. GA PR disaster.

Glad he's OK and he's an experienced pilot who owns and pilots both a Sovereign jet and a Beaver. He's done more than most for GA, with Young Eagles and AOPA. Therefore it's ironic that this might hurt the SMO debate more than if it was just anyone.

TheInquisitor
5th Mar 2015, 23:36
Being reported as an EFATO with an attempted turnback - looking at where he put it down and the surroundings, looks like he might have done rather well.

- 34.007769, -118.459558 that small golf course looks like the only piece of grass around, everywhere else is built up.

Piper_Driver
6th Mar 2015, 00:04
Looks like his aircraft was a Ryan PT-22. A 1930s vintage trainer.

alexgreyhead
6th Mar 2015, 00:12
Piper Driver: I spotted that, too. Given the majority of the engine seems to have been pancaked under the fuselage on impact, I wonder if any meaningful analysis of what remains will be made?

Never nice to hear of an EFATO, but as a very junior pilot-in-training myself, it's strangely heartening that he managed to survive an EFATO at all; fingers crossed for him.

er340790
6th Mar 2015, 00:26
“This airport is remarkably close to... flight schools, which is very concerning,” he told NBC.

Sounds like the ideal place for an airport!!! :ugh: :} :E

TheInquisitor
6th Mar 2015, 00:30
Tricky area for a FL - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.0111443,-118.458101,4588m/data=!3m1!1e3?hl=en

ATC tape released as well - AirLive.net: UPDATE Listen to ATC audio: Harrison Ford radio to airport: "engine failure, immediate return" (http://www.airlive.net/2015/03/update-listen-to-atc-audio-harrison.html) - seems to confirm EFATO reports.

Aircraft put down largely in one piece, on what looks like the only bit of grass in the middle of a sprawling congested area, pilot reported to be in 'good condition' in local hospital, nobody else got hurt...

...I'd call that a successful FL.

India Four Two
6th Mar 2015, 01:56
I'm currently in Santa Monica and will be flying out of SMO for the first time tomorrow. I was driving past the golf course last week and thinking that I would be going for the fairways in the event of EFATO.

As TheInquistitor said, it's the only place for a forced landing. The airport is otherwise completely surrounded by houses and commercial buildings. A bit further out and ditching might be the only option.

This event will be just one more piece of ammunition in the hands of the group that wants to shut down SMO.

Ironically, I saw a PT-22 in the circuit last week. The first one I had ever seen.

iamhives
6th Mar 2015, 02:09
There was a CNN report with a news babe reporting and she turned around and showed the houses right next to the planes final location. Based on that I believe the plane ended up right next to this location right opposite 2127 Dewey Street. Looks to be a couple of hundred yards short of the runway

https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@34.008956,-118.458037,3a,75y,113.54h,58.9t/data=!3m4!1e1!3m2!1sgCllkHWCM7LEkT4gkFKmUA!2e0?hl=enc=t

JustAnotherPoorSlob
6th Mar 2015, 02:18
He does seem to have done well.

I'd imagine that he's been contingency planning for that golf course for years--I'd assume he flies out of SMO a lot and there really aren't many places to put a plane down near the airport (I recall, although my stint of flying there often was at least 15 years ago)

haughtney1
6th Mar 2015, 02:25
A golf course is the best place ever to force land, no doubt within seconds there were at least 15 doctors in attendance.

westhawk
6th Mar 2015, 03:08
I've done a few hundred takeoffs and landing at SMO. Most engine failures on takeoff from SMO haven't been as successful as this one. I remember a 152 making a perfect striaght-ahead landing on Rose ave back in about 1990 though. Traffic on Rose ave dictates that it's usually not the best choice though.

The Penmar golf course is indeed the best choice available most of the time when departing rwy 21. If you're over the golf course and your engine quits, landing straight ahead is not going to be a good option due to the fact that it's surrounded by houses on 3 sides, is less than 3,000' from end to end and the trees between fairways are up to 100' tall. It would require a very steep descent. Turning back is better if you have the speed and altitude. Even if turning back means you'll have to set it down on the course. If you don't have the altitude and speed to turn around, you'll have to continue straight ahead and take what you can get. It pays to think carefully about these options prior to every takeoff.

Where the plane ended up is about 1,000' SW from the end of the runway and a good 50 to 75' below. The 8th tee is about 500' from the NE end of the course. The hole plays about 140 yards from the back tees towards the NE fence. I'm amazed he managed to end up where he did without hitting the trees more squarely.

This is indeed one of the better outcomes as SMO engine failures go. Most have ended quite badly. In my 20 plus years at SMO, I've witnessed a couple and seen the aftermath of a few more. I don't recall anyone on the ground ever being injured, let alone killed by any of these crashes.

The airport protesters are financed and kept stirred up by the land grabbing developers that want to get their filthy greedy hands on the airport property. Everything they is say towards that end.

westhawk

westhawk
6th Mar 2015, 03:23
A golf course is the best place ever to force land, no doubt within seconds there were at least 15 doctors in attendance.

The story above said there were two docs in attendance. Penmar isn't exactly a country club though. Just a public executive 9 hole. Had in been LA Country Club or Riviera, You're probably right!

westhawk

India Four Two
6th Mar 2015, 04:01
Harrison Ford Hospitalized After Plane Crash Lands | NBC Southern California (http://www.nbclosangeles.com/news/local/Aircraft-Incident-Reported-in-Santa-Monica-295247581.html)

tmmorris
6th Mar 2015, 06:18
Apparently he was 'flying solo'. Ha!

India Four Two
6th Mar 2015, 06:38
tmm,

Why the Ha!

He WAS flying solo, although one of the "rescue doctor/golfers" referred to him as a "passenger in the back seat"!

rnzoli
6th Mar 2015, 06:49
That was a funny reference to Han Solo, one of his remarkable roles :)

Whiskey Kilo Wanderer
6th Mar 2015, 06:54
"rescue doctor/golfers" referred to him as a "passenger in the back seat"

That's because Doctors only fly Beechcraft Bonanzas (aka the Doctor Killer) and think that anyone in a rear seat is pax.....

LowNSlow
6th Mar 2015, 08:14
I seem to recall an air test of the Ryan in one of the flying periodicals comparing the glide performance of the draggy machine to an aluminium piano. If this is the case then even more kudos to Mr Ford for getting her down in one piece.

The accident is on the Ryan ST entry on Wiki already.

JEM60
6th Mar 2015, 08:26
Ryan PT22 is flown solo from the BACK SEAT, a la Tiger Moth. Hence the possible confusion in the reporting.

rocco16
6th Mar 2015, 08:29
It is a heavy machine due to the strengthening the U.S. Army required on the STA it was based on requiring a more powerful engine, the Kinner. They wanted a high wing loading aeroplane as an better introduction to characteristics of other aircraft they would fly. Hence it has a relatively high stall and approach speeds of 65/ 85. (Not using flaps as they don't do much and have a weak mechanism and can go asymmetric). As you can imagine this does not give the best glide or EFATO prospects. As you can see it is strong and was designed to protect the occupants. Just look at the frame ahead of the front seat passenger if you get the chance. I own and fly 854.

CharlieDeltaUK
6th Mar 2015, 08:48
BBC report this morning referred to an emergency landing, and minor cuts and bruises. No mention of crashes or puppy farms. No sensational reporting.

astir 8
6th Mar 2015, 09:52
Indeed, I actually have not seen the words "plummet", "daredevil" or "hero" used yet.

Mind you - didn't he force land a rubber dinghy one time? I', sure I saw it.

horizon flyer
6th Mar 2015, 11:05
Actually two doctors on the course responded not 15.

thing
6th Mar 2015, 11:50
Bet there were 15 on it though. At least.

waldopepper42
6th Mar 2015, 11:54
I just wonder how he knew the engine was failing. Those 5 cylinder Kinner radials sound like they're permanently in a state of failure! :):):)

Good job on the FL though.

MatrixMan
6th Mar 2015, 13:18
Sad to hear reports that Harrison Ford has been injured after crashing his vintage aircraft. Hope he has a speedy recovery and glad no one else was injured as well.

BBC News - Harrison Ford injured in plane crash (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-31759873)

KBPsen
6th Mar 2015, 13:27
Here he is being taken away after the accident.

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/B_ZJHBMVAAAbtwD.jpg

Downwind Lander
6th Mar 2015, 14:12
This report has him making a 180 deg turn with "the engine seizing up on him", a manoeuvre likely to end in tears:

Harrison Ford Plane Crash: Aviation Expert on Actor's Emergency Landing Plan : People.com (http://www.people.com/article/harrison-ford-plane-crash-landing-expert-opinion)

It will be interesting to find out what really happened.

highflyer40
6th Mar 2015, 14:14
If all he had was houses and buildings to the front and a golf course/airport to the rear then I say he did the best thing and go for the 180.

The Ancient Geek
6th Mar 2015, 14:22
Nothing wrong with a 180 so long as you have the speed and height to do it safely. Sadly a lot of people have died trying it with too little of either.

rog747
6th Mar 2015, 14:25
from an actual video of him taken from the golf course on approach he still had some altitude and seemed to be heading back to santa monica airport as he had requested to do so on a RT for an immediate return which ATC gave him clearance

its seems he could not make it back to the runway and the golf course was his option from what we can see with the 180 turn needed

heavy residential and streets is to one side of the runway threshold and golf course to the other

deptrai
6th Mar 2015, 14:26
this is already being discussed here: http://www.pprune.org/north-america/557649-harrison-ford-crashed.html

TOWTEAMBASE
6th Mar 2015, 14:59
No much luck lately with flying has he.........didn't the millennium falcon fall on him recently and break his ankle :)

Noxegon
6th Mar 2015, 16:02
http://i.telegraph.co.uk/multimedia/archive/03222/harrison_3222194b.jpg

Above The Clouds
6th Mar 2015, 17:42
Every landing you walk away from is a good one, well done on a successful forced landing.

With tongue in cheek; I am so glad according to the media :yuk: he heroically steered away from the houses, narrowly missed the primary school, and bravely manouvered away from the kids on the side walk to a miraculous crash landing, cheated death while flying solo.

barit1
6th Mar 2015, 22:34
Agreed on the risk of a 180 after EFATO. The PT-22 has a small bit of wing sweepback, and just a touch of cross-control when too slow results in an involuntary snap (flick) roll.

So good job, sir!

India Four Two
6th Mar 2015, 23:54
An important point to note about the crash location is that although it is close to the threshold - about 1000' back and 400' right of the centreline, it is nearly 100' lower than the runway.

megan
7th Mar 2015, 01:37
Vey nice vid of your aircraft rocco16

nWIgLE695uY

When in my early 20's had the opportunity to buy the Ranger engined version for seven hundred quid, with the beautiful metal spats. Bought a new Morris 1100 instead for the same price. :ugh:

India Four Two
7th Mar 2015, 02:34
Those 5 cylinder Kinner radials sound like they're permanently in a state of failure! I agree - a very distinctive sound. I saw what I presume was Harrison Ford's PT-22 in the circuit last week. The sound is unlike any small radial I have heard before.

barit1
7th Mar 2015, 02:42
I doubt Ryan built any with the Ranger, which was an inverted 6-cyl. inline. The pre-war ST, STA, and ST-M used the inverted 4-cyl. inline Menasco engine.

After WWII, a few ST3KR's (a.k.a. PT-22) had the Kinner removed and the Ranger engine installed. Cleaner lines, a bit more horsepower. Some of these were just as beautiful as the pre-war ships, and a few are still around.

megan
7th Mar 2015, 04:34
barit1, you're correct of course. To be exact it was either a STM-2 or -S2.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/3/38/VHRSY.jpg/220px-VHRSY.jpg

150 Driver
7th Mar 2015, 09:36
Am a little confused, I thought the correct way to land on a golf course was to stall into trees

Sam Rutherford
7th Mar 2015, 09:57
...as close as possible to the 19th...

Fly-by-Wife
7th Mar 2015, 09:57
I hope he remembers to replace his divot.