PDA

View Full Version : Emirates husband & wife pilot couple info?

toocloseformissiles
5th Mar 2015, 22:14
Hi folks

Just wondered if anyone is or knows of a husband and wife pilot couple that work for EK? There seems to be no info on the net about this whatsoever. There are a few things we’d be interested to find out about before applying…

Do they do married matched rosters so you can share the same days off?

Would both of you be paid the utilities allowance or would EK say that only one person per couple was entitled to it?

Would there be the option for one pilot to take the company accommodation and the other to be paid the utilities allowance?

It would be great to hear from any other pilot couples already working for Emirates. We are keen to find out if the lifestyle is any good and more importantly if you ever manage to see each other!

Any info or PM's, would be greatly appreciated! :ok:

donpizmeov
6th Mar 2015, 06:45
There is no matching of days off function in bidding. FOs do tend to get more days off than Capts so could work out, sometimes .

If one of you takes the company accommodation, the other does not get paid the allowance. If you both opt out of company accommodation you both get the allowance.

You only get the annual leave travel from one of you, so pick the one with better upgrade potential.

Getting leave periods together can be challenging. Even off peak.

Lifestyle will depend on which fleet you join. And that changes with time too.

kotakota
6th Mar 2015, 07:24
With the amount of moaning from crew who hardly ever see their stay-at-home wives , this sounds like a disaster . Unless , of course , the less they see of each other the better ?

Trader
6th Mar 2015, 10:16
I can't find it at the moment but it was not that long ago that they came out and said couples could no longer fly together (incl. FA/pilot couples).

SOPS
6th Mar 2015, 11:29
Trader is correct. Somewhere it is written couples can't fly together.

Aluminium shuffler
6th Mar 2015, 11:42
I know of a married couple in EK, and I don't get the impression they have matched rosters. Certainly they don't appear to be on the same flights, and if there is a rule against that, then I don't think that's a bad thing - it could save a domestic on board and also means you don't take a work problem home. It would also prevent accusations of unfair treatment of the crew (favouritism). I have seen couples working together, and it can be a can of worms. Matched roster patterns would be useful to couples without kids, so they share days off. For parents, that means babysitters whenever they're away, so "antiphase rosters" may be more helpful in that respect, though you'd see little of eachother - I know a couple doing that in another company just now. It's a good gesture if the company can accommodate the rostering practice you prefer.

Ophion
6th Mar 2015, 11:42
It's in the OM-A. Spouses/siblings cannot fly together.

Re: accommodation allowances, you both have to be in receipt of them before you get married in order to receive both. I'm not sure how it works if you join as a married couple.

BigGeordie
6th Mar 2015, 14:07
I'm pretty sure a couple only get one accommodation allowance on the reasonable basis that they would only get one company supplied unit.

donpizmeov
6th Mar 2015, 14:30
Both get the allowance if they opt out. If you opt in for accommodation the other does not get the allowance.

ekwhistleblower
7th Mar 2015, 04:09
The only married pilots I know got divorced after joining EK!

harry the cod
7th Mar 2015, 11:56
Still two married couples here as pilots............just flew with one a few months back. Into horses.......

Harry

donpizmeov
7th Mar 2015, 12:44
Might just be a long face Harry.

Taylor01
9th Mar 2015, 21:13
I flew with a very nice couple from Ethiopian. Not sure what their name was but if you ask around I am sure you can find them. They told me it was tough but they worked it out with the kids. Good luck

toocloseformissiles
10th Mar 2015, 05:29
Thanks for all the feedback - plenty to mull over...

If we can't get a handful of matched days and some leave together its a no-go (we have no kids).

Been getting conflicting info on spouses flying together. Apparently 2 FO's and FO/Capt have operated together previously, at least on ULR's...

@Muttley Crew (http://www.pprune.org/members/81165-muttley-crew) It would have been easier if she'd stayed as a dental nurse ;)

crewlog
10th Mar 2015, 10:40
Spoke to A new joiner today. He and his wife both hired with Ek. New contract states ONE allowance ONLY if you OPT out. this is a change from past practice.

SOPS
10th Mar 2015, 11:25
Missiles, it may or may not have happened before, but as they say past performance does to guarantee future results.

It is written that spouses can not fly together, so don't come here thinking.....we will get it....

It is written it can't happen, and if you complain they will just point at the book.