PDA

View Full Version : Should I go for it?

aspiringpilot11
5th Mar 2015, 19:06
Hi guys, I'm just looking for some advice as I'm in very complicated situation and really need advice. I'm 19 currently doing a degree in accounting and finance, I done my leaving cert last year and didn't do as good as I'm capable of (280 points, capable of about 350) I wouldn't been the greatest academicly and never done any subjects the average pilot would (honours maths, Physics, applied maths ect) but that's down to my school not offering these as LC subjects.

I've always wanted to be a pilot for as long as I can remember. I have a job where I save every single penny I earn for my pilot training (120k) and hope to have this money in the next 4 years. Recently I've been considering giving up hope, the lack of jobs and opportunities for recent graduate pilots is frightening and definitely turns me off doing it. When I think about going through life without making an attempt to be a pilot it really saddens me, I never had a great up-bringing and my dream of being a pilot is all that kept me going really. Also the thought of when I'm 70-80 and thinking back to my life and it not at least chasing my dream upsets me. But then on the other hand I don't want to be in a situation where I'm in 60k debt and never having a pilot job.

So basicly I'm just looking for advice on what to do. I'm At the stage of my life where I need clarity. I've no idea what to do and need honest advice.

Cheers guys and sorry for the big essay. All advice is greatly appreciated.

PrivatePilotDA40NG
5th Mar 2015, 20:09
I'd say wait out the situation a few years.
Things are not too bright but here and there the future looks promising.
Try to gather as much information about flight schools as you can.

If I could do it all over again, I would try to get into a program that has some kind of job guarantee at the end.. British Airways, KLM, Lufthansa, Easyjet, Swiss... Lot's of airlines are planning to train there own cadets.

Best of luck.
And go for whatever makes you happy!

hph304
5th Mar 2015, 20:10
Do a modular training. Take it step-by-step so you can find out if you really like it. Also you can choose to pause your training in between the modules, so you can wait until times get better and in the mean time continue doing hour building on SEP/MEP whilst doing your job.

Good luck:ok:

Chris CPU
5th Mar 2015, 20:14
Hi

To sum it up: NO! Aviation nowadays has a big big downside you only see once you're in and then its usually too late to change your path of life (in other words you are committed and you will be willing to do almost anything it takes to get some hours) Now companies know that and they are willing to exploit young aspiring pilots which leads to pay to fly jobs.
I know how it feels, aviation has been my dream job all my life and I went into it via the military but now flying civil Im horrified and disappointed seeing what this once noble business has become:
It is exploiting the young pilots to the max. F.E.: I was flying with a young F/O the other day who told me he has a 185.000EUR loan for his training which he will pay back within the next 20-25! years, meaning that he will be only able to safe money at the age of 45-50!
Now quoting you: „when I'm 70-80 and thinking back to my life and it not at least chasing my dream upsets me“. I think nowadays a lot of young pilots will look back at the end of their career and be actually upset for chasing their lifelong dream!
Im sorry to break it down to you like that but with the money you safe now you will be able to pay for a decent education that will open the doors for a variety of jobs (not only one that you commit to for the rest of your life and that depends highly on the mood and performance of your employer as well as on your medical) where you will make more money over your career and if you still want to fly you will be able to do a PPL or even more in your spare time and enjoy flying while you're off.
Having said that I of course have also to admit that I love to fly and for me and a few other lucky once this is still a good job but with the general situation as it is in the industry right now I simply cannot recommend anyone to become a pilot with good conscience.

aspiringpilot11
5th Mar 2015, 20:39
I really think it's a decision I need to make asap, I can't continue saving all my wages every week feels like I'm working for free. I'd love if I could wait longer but once I exceed 30 job prospects become even more limited. As for the cadet programmes, my academics aren't up to scratch for that and physics are typically a requirement. Although my degree might subside the requirements hopefully.

Cheers for the response

EC DKN
5th Mar 2015, 21:08
It's really strange... Just 1 post and such an statement... Do it with a reputable modular school (in the ME/CPL/IR (look at Bournemouth)) and have fun! ;)

aspiringpilot11
5th Mar 2015, 21:38
Cheers for the response. As I've mentioned already I'm currently doing an honours degree in accounting and finance so I always have a "back up" option, I started this degree knowing it was a back up and never intend to have a career as an accountant. The debt doesn't scare me, it's the debt without getting a flying job. I'd happily pay back a 30 year loan if I was guaranteed a pilot job. I don't mind what aircraft I fly or where I fly it. I'd happily be a regional pilot flying TP for a career

EC DKN
5th Mar 2015, 22:03
Dude I am just a PPL studying in the university too! In this forum you will find a lot of depressing people. Go for it!

Do a PPL alongside your degree! More and more airlines prefer university pilots (even captains with expirience: AviationJobs.Me Flight Crew: B737NG Non Type Rated Captains Flydubai UAE (http://www.aviationjobs.me/2015/03/b737ng-non-type-rated-captains-flydubai.html)).

Go modular with a reputable school in the UK (such as Propilot and PAT Bournemouth (some flybe link) and have fun! You can become an instructor (Vueling hires FI for instance).

Luke SkyToddler
6th Mar 2015, 06:28
You're 19. You have all the time in the world to make your mind up, and then work to save the money to pay for it. There's such a thing as too young as well as too old.

If you're hell bent on aviation that's great but honestly I strongly suggest doing at least your PPL with money you've earned and saved yourself, to get a taste of what the training is like. Sure if there's a brilliant opportunity comes up to go fully sponsored then apply for it.

But if you're self funding then be very very careful, have a backup plan, and don't bite off more debt than you can chew, because make no mistake it is a gamble, there are a lot more wannabes than jobs out there.

Jaair
6th Mar 2015, 08:37
I've been in the exact same situation as you (was in it last year). Same age, also in University. In a few words my piece of advice would be: GO FOR IT.

You will meet A LOT of negative people in aviation (and that goes for any industry, but especially this one) who have had bad experiences or have known people with a bad experience. The thing is, on this forum, you will mostly hear about people with bad experiences as most of them with a good experience are out there making the best of it instead of sitting on their ass complaining on this forum.

You only live one life and you should do what you love. If you want to sit in an office all day 9-5 with your accounting and finance degree then that's honestly great. But if you can't picture yourself doing it then you will most likely spend those days thinking 'what if..' with that 737 aircraft model sitting by your computer monitor.

By the way, the British Airways FPP is closing on Monday, just a heads up if you missed it.

kirungi1
6th Mar 2015, 09:02
john smith, that's another great post and, frankly I admire your honesty - whether they want to hear it or not!
There is more to ponder about in that post :ok:

aspiringpilot11
6th Mar 2015, 09:38
Yeah I've noticed that this forum is mostly negative but it's good to read about the bad side of aviation too. I think your right I should definitely go for it either way. I'll regret it if I don't. As for the BA FPP and many other airline cadetships I don't meet the criteria because I've never done physics. My only option is self funded unless my degree subsides the a level gcse requirements

PURPLE PITOT
6th Mar 2015, 11:20
The negative comments come from us old farts who are trying to stop you making a big mistake with your parents retirement fund.

The youngsters that do make it to the flight deck don't come here anymore because they don't have the time due to rostering practices.

There is a "big picture", unfortunately it is of dogs smoking cigars and playing poker!

pakythepilot
6th Mar 2015, 13:34
My advice is to create a plan B whatever you decide. In my case I've created my own business which is helping me raising the money needed for my pilot training as well as it's my back-up plan in case everything goes wrong. I personally choose going modular because it's cheaper and allows me to deal with my job while I'm training. I'm 23 and so I have all the time to find my first flying job. Get a degree first in something you like and then work you ass off to save the money for your training. In the worst scenario you will have 30 years-old and all the money necessary ready without having huge debts and a degree as back-up plan. Go integrated if you don't want to waste more time, as the chance to get a job straight after your training are higher than modular, and at the begin of your 30's you would have been achieved your dream without debts to pay and other 40 years left to enjoy flying.

aspiringpilot11
7th Mar 2015, 12:01
Yes its definitely a decision that needs a lot of consideration but a pilot is the only thing I want to be. I appreciate the negative posts because it's nice to hear people's bad experiences too. but the vibe I'm getting from most is to go for it

aspiringpilot11
7th Mar 2015, 14:01
There's probably not many jet jobs in Europe but there's turbo prop, instructing, sky diving, banner towing jobs. There's also a big job market in Asia. A few years as an instructor will jet a TP job, few years on a TP and you'll get a jet job.

Owu96
7th Mar 2015, 14:11
I'm not in the aviation industry yet, but hope to be in a few years after learning a backup trade should anything in aviation happen unexpectedly. But aspiring pilot, your simplistic view of getting a job once leaving flight school seems slightly naive to say the least. Ultimately it is your choice, I just hope you make the 'right' choice and I wish you the best of luck in what seems a 'cut throat' industry.

portsharbourflyer
7th Mar 2015, 15:25
aspiringpilot,

GA jobs you are referring to are actually very few and far between,

Banner Tow, think there are about two may be three companies in the entire UK. Chances are not something you will end up doing.

Para dropping, opportunities do exist but again not that easy to come by.

Instructing, I would never tell someone to do or not do something. It is now quite difficult for newbies to even get instructing work, further to this although some instructors do move on to other things, it isn't as it was pre 2007 when a couple seasons of instructing would normally lead to a regional tp job. It is more the case that for every instructor moving on, you will find another 2 or 3 stuck not moving anywhere. In a lot of cases a lot of instructors still find themselves having to fund the rating for the first job anyway.

Budding
8th Mar 2015, 20:55
When you're at the end of your years will you be happy saying you were a great accountant?

What about a great accountant with a PPL who did well in lots of aerobatics competitions?

If neither of those flick your switch then do it. Life is worth more than money, i'd rather die next week chasing a dream than live till i'm 100 doing some job I don't like regretting the dream I didn't chase. Sadly it's not that clear cut.

If you DO chase your dream of being a pilot then set yourself up properly. How much weight do they really place on a physics A-Level? If you think it's a lot then go and do a physics A level in your spare time. Maybe work up your plan B until that is comfortable and look at moving across.

I might be wrong but from what I hear, the slow modular approach will be years of grinding away for very little reward.

Best of luck either way!

Gear_Up2014
8th Mar 2015, 22:07
Aspiring Pilot,

I got to the latter stages of the Aer Lingus pilot cadetship late last year and did not study Physics for my Leaving Cert...

I suggest going to University first, that four years and part time flying in Leixlip will give you the clarity you need, additionally you can also apply for the AL cadetship later this year..

aspiringpilot11
8th Mar 2015, 23:04
That's a relief. Do you have a degree?

EC DKN
9th Mar 2015, 09:17
Aspiringpilot, I am studying a degree and I finished my PPL last november. you can do both. Finish your degree there are a lot of European pilots withouth university degree. Also learning another language apart from English would be a good decision (I am Spanish which means I have the whole Spanish market). Being a pilot is harder but what is not harder in the 21 first century? Do it! I will carry on my modular training, where?

https://www.flybe.com/corporate/careers/pilot_training.htm

This link will show where you should go if you are modular.

Best of luck.

parkfell
9th Mar 2015, 10:03
I am not familiar with the Irish Education System. However I would suggest that you need the equivalent of physics at GCSE / O level (England & Wales) or Standard Grade Credit / National 5 (Scotland).
I take it you have Maths and Chemistry at this level?

This flying game needs some scientific understanding when studying aircraft type technical subjects. However, Double maths with physics is not necessary at A level. SIN/COS/TAN is as difficult as it gets. Lots of arithmetic. SUMS.

I have known students with a less than ideal education background attempt groundschool. They struggled badly. If only they had achieved at school in sciences , it would have been reasonably straight forward.

The EASA exams are not individually difficult, but overall high in volume, of low grade material. A basic science background is essential.
Your present accountancy studies are more demanding than ATPL courses/exams.

Complete your present studies, and work hard to obtain a good degree. 2:1 or better would be ideal.
Sponsorship application to BA or Aer Lingus with a degree will put you in a good position. Remember maturity is a critical factor, and at 19 ,it is unlikely to be there just yet. 2years+ can make all the difference.

If you have any further Qs, just ask.

banjodrone
24th Mar 2015, 23:25
At 19 you really don't need to be in any sort of rush. Many people only get the cash together by their mid to late 30's and by then the clock is seriously ticking. If I were you I'd start working on my private and take it modular from there. Saving up to do it all in one go isn't necessarily the best way to do things either. I did that for a part 141 course in the US but I wish I'd started years earlier by getting my private locally and taking it from there. I was almost 40 when I finished, broke and no chance of taking it further. Seriously mate, suss out a good school/instructors to do your private with first and take it from there, you'll get a better feel for everything first and it gives you options and flexibility with age on your side into the bargain.