PDA

View Full Version : Modafinil/Provigil

ShotOne
5th Mar 2015, 07:12
I understand these drugs have been trialled and used by various agencies including military aviators. Anyone used them...do they perform as advertised? How about side effects, either at the time or long term?

Kitbag
5th Mar 2015, 17:51
Google as always is your friend as here (http://www.nhs.uk/medicine-guides/pages/MedicineOverview.aspx?condition=Narcolepsy&medicine=modafinil&preparationModafinil%20100mg%20tablets), 10 % of users report headaches, not sure that would be worth the benefit plus there is a warning about driving and operating machinery!

Danny42C
5th Mar 2015, 18:56
Shotone,

Been scoffing Ramipril and Nicorandil for years. Am still alive - no side effects AFAIK. Assume all ending in "-il" probably much the same stuff.

D.

Wander00
5th Mar 2015, 19:06
Been o Ramipril about 10 years (now 71) and no apparent ill effects

Kitbag
5th Mar 2015, 20:11
Assume all ending in "-il" probably much the same stuff

Errr....NO, these are vey different; Ramipril is commonly used to lower the blood pressure of certain regular contributers to PPRuNe (inc me), Modafinil is being promoted for helping maintain alertness, although it was developed for dealing with narcolepsy.

dagenham
6th Mar 2015, 06:49
Danny stay from the persil and sudenafil

Might be unexpected results

tmmorris
6th Mar 2015, 10:30
I remember a doctor explaining to me once that all symptoms experienced during drug trials have to be listed as possible side effects. In every drug trial, someone gets a headache. So headaches are listed as a possible side effect, even of headache pills...

Checking the leaflets that does seem to be the case with an awful lot of drugs.

Danny42C
6th Mar 2015, 16:21
dagenham,

I know Persil washes "whiter than white", but slidenafil - now you're talking !

But as Kipling wrote: "The dead they will not rise, so you'd better dry your eyes...."

Ah, well :(

Danny.

Avtur
7th Mar 2015, 02:03
Having emigrated to Canada some years ago and having to endure US TV drug commercials, I would probably advise against using your Welsh sounding drug. Eg: Something that is supposed to stop the ****s on holiday is advertised as having the side effect (in ultra small print) of giving you kidney failure, respitory difficulty and/or cardiopulmonary failure, and/or inducing suicide tendencies or death, and the ****s! I'd rather just take the risk as you probably do in your job.

Danny42C
7th Mar 2015, 17:18
Avtur,

"to stop the ****s on holiday"

Kaolin et morph is the stuff !

D.

Pontius Navigator
7th Mar 2015, 18:18
Avtur,

"to stop the ****s on holiday"

Kaolin et morph is the stuff !

D.

If it needs washing, don't eat it.
If it can eaten cold after cooking, don't eat it.
If it needs diluting with water, don't drink it.
If ice is offered, don't accept.
If it can be peeled but has been broken, don't eat it.

If you need a cork screw or bottle opener, wipe the top with a sterilized wipe and drink from the bottle.

Remember - pork chop in every pint - how many pork chops would you eat at a session?

Danny42C
7th Mar 2015, 21:49
" And if I do all this, Doctor, will I live to 100 ?"......."No, but it'll feel like it !"

D.

FAL
8th Mar 2015, 16:53
Ramipril can cause severe coughing in some people. Half the dose caused half the coughing in my experience of it...

dagenham
8th Mar 2015, 21:55
ramapril and all other hypertension medication of the ACE class cause coughing in some people. halving the dose is all well and good if it keeps your BP at goal. But as effective as a cough in a windtunnnel if it doesn't

most people are on two or three BP drugs to get down there, if you want to really belt and brace it chuck in a low dose atorvastatin to make sure you keep the grim reaper away.

BEagle
8th Mar 2015, 23:36
Assume all ending in "-il" probably much the same stuff.

I'd have thought that Bovril would be more your thing, Danny?

ShotOne
14th Mar 2015, 20:35
I'm amused that the original query on a drug used to heighten alertness has been overtaken by those see to keep old codgers (in which I include myself before anyone gets offended) hearts beating. I guess that says a lot about the average age here!

Danny42C
15th Mar 2015, 00:33
BEagle,

Well spotted, Sir ! (sorry I missed it last week).

Am now reduced to Horlicks as my bedtime tipple, I have to say.

When you're down with 'flu, (which thank the Lord I'm not sir), Bovril is a life-saver, far better (IMHO) than anything else.

Danny.