PDA

View Full Version : A320 Manual Start

VSGJ
3rd Mar 2015, 16:30
There was a question asked during airline written exam that, Is continous ignition given during manual engine start on A320?

i got little confused on it because both igniters do come on during manual start but then fadec stops the ignition at 43% N2(IAE) , so technically continous ignition is not given.

Also i checked in Fcom that continous ignition is given in some cases, for example eng anti ice, approach idle etc. but nothing written in the case of manual start.

What should be the right answer guys, Yes or No.

Thankyou

TurnOne
7th Mar 2015, 05:32
Hi VSGJ

The answer is Yes.

To help understand look up the definition in the Fcom DSC 70-80-30

bcontas
8th Mar 2015, 10:29
I think the correct answer is NO.
As i read in my FCOM Ignition would stop at aprox 50% N2.
In order to have the continuous ignition, we have to switch the ENG MODE sel to NORM and then back to IGN/START in order to turn on continuous ignition.

sonicbum
8th Mar 2015, 16:42
Hi VSGJ

The answer is Yes.

To help understand look up the definition in the Fcom DSC 70-80-30

As per the reference you provided, during a manual engine start on ground both igniters are cut off when N2 reaches 43% (IAE) / 50% (CFM).

TyroPicard
8th Mar 2015, 17:37
It all depends on the exact wording of the question....

FCOM says.. (IAE) .. "IGNITION FOR STARTING"
• During a manual start both igniters are supplied, when the ENG MASTERsw is ON.
• Both igniters are cut off when N2 reaches 43%.

However there is a separate section for "CONTINUOUS IGNITION" , which is nothing to do with engine starting.
Continuous ignition may be selected either manually or automatically to maintain engine combustion.

Metro man
8th Mar 2015, 23:50
It's one of those trick questions which can be interpreted either way which simply encourages rote memorisation rather than an understanding of the systems. Knowing the aircraft won't help very much as you need to know what answer the examiner is looking for from the ambgious questions.

vilas
9th Mar 2015, 05:13
VSGJ
The emphasis of the question is on the word continuous. It doesn't ask you whether the ignition comes on but whether it remains on. With the mode selector in ignition if the ignition goes off then it is not continuous ignition.

sonicbum
9th Mar 2015, 11:16
Quote and agree on the above.

VSGJ
11th Mar 2015, 10:58
Thankyou all for the replies...:ok: