PDA

View Full Version : Headset inc conversion ANR

Flyting
2nd Mar 2015, 12:13
Has anyone installed one of these kits into an alpha eagle helmet?
http://www.headsetsinc.com/ANR_kits.html
I'm flying HEMS now so doors on all the time, and want an ANR system without buying a whole new helmet

500e
2nd Mar 2015, 12:36
Done a number of these the first ones were ordered with UK Nato plugs came with Nexus US Nato.
HS inc were not helpful, I was asked what is a UK Nato !.
We said we would buy fit correct plugs as ordered & only charge for components or they could ship the correct item to us, the reply was NO, so We swallowed the cost:{ but left a bad taste regarding any problem in future.
Saying that we have not had a problem, just fitted a set in Hughes 500s helmet, he will give you a report, in mine it works ok but we fly with doors on he does load lifting.
Don't know if they do different size jell seals as one comment was they are small for my ears.
They either work of battery box or can be ship powered with small PSU. The power lead can be incorporated in headset wire it has a screw fitting

Hughes500
2nd Mar 2015, 12:48
Notice very little difference when in a turbine even with doors off. However in a piston engine 300 huge difference. Sometimes it whistles in the ear, you have to "push" on the speaker in the ear cup which is difficult in a helmet !!!

Flyting
2nd Mar 2015, 16:31
Thanks for the replies...

'Notice very little difference when in a turbine even with doors off'
Their testing says 24dB less... mmmmmm!!!

The guys at Headset inc say that it has to be done in house, and I'm a bit too far awy from them.

Hughes500
2nd Mar 2015, 18:06
500e did it for me !!!

Hawkeye0001
2nd Mar 2015, 19:58
I'd seriously suggest you consider a CEP kit installation in your helmet as an alternative to ANR. Having tried both, ANR and CEP plugs, ANR is quite nice but compared to CEP it exhibits some annoyances when
a) wearing sunglasses (gap caused by the temples makes for a noticeable noise increase)
b) flying with doors off / windows open (wind creates wobbling sound)
c) running out of battery

None of those happen with CEP's, they offer the same if not better noise protection (passive) and you can even do the installation yourself in under fifteen minutes with a drill and a soldering iron.

Flyting
3rd Mar 2015, 06:45
My helmet has CEP already, which is great for slinging - and where I am we very seldom sling with the door off...), but for HEMS the flights are just too short and time to put them in is wasted time.

ascj
3rd Mar 2015, 07:57
I have put a light speed in mine but if I did it again id use Bose. Doors off works fine too. (piston)

Flyting
3rd Mar 2015, 09:08
I thought of doing that aswell.... but where can I buy the guts of a Bose Headset without the Headset itself (which will be cut up and thrown away) to be fitted into the Alpha headsets?

Read somewhere that the Bose is a bit bigger than the Alpha Headset and my helmet fits tight already so might be a Problem!

ascj
3rd Mar 2015, 11:19
Just buy the headset. The Bose earcups are close to the same if not smaller, the light speed Zulu are 10 mm wider each so will be too big for an already tight helmet. Also the Bose is easier to pull apart. With the Zulu you will need to remove the mic and silicone the hole. The mic cord is long enough to reach where the original mic was. The Bose mic can stay where it is though it may touch the bottom of the helmet. Keep the headband as you may need to resemble to send away for warranty:ok:

pilotdaz
4th Mar 2015, 01:28
Turbine or piston when the Headsets Inc ANR kits are installed correctly there will be a substantial difference when ANR is turned on, the same as other big headset named brands.

Let me know if you need a professional installation.

Darin

HillerBee
4th Mar 2015, 19:38
I installed the kit in my Gentex 5b. Took me about an hour. Works brilliant. In piston and Turbine, much better as the Bose A which I also have. I hardly ever fly without the helmet however. I use one battery in about 20 hours. I fly 44, 66, MD500 and AS350

Gomer Pylot
6th Mar 2015, 01:32
I've tried both ANR and CEPs, and I definitely prefer CEP. Better noise suppression at all frequencies, and there are no batteries to fail, and the earseals don't have to be tight. As for HEMS, I used CEP while flying HEMS for years, and if the patient is going to die because I took 15 seconds or so to get the CEPs inserted, then the patient is going to die no matter what. A few seconds makes no difference one way or the other. Trying to hurry up a takeoff is one of the most dangerous things you can do in HEMS.

Flyting
6th Mar 2015, 12:30
Agreed GP, but our flight times are relatively short and putting on and taking off so many times is a hassle...