PDA

View Full Version : Close Call For Pinjarra Skydiver...

Ex FSO GRIFFO
2nd Mar 2015, 04:23
A 'Close Call' for a Pinjarra Skydiver who became unconscious on the way down, and the accompanying Jumpmaster / instructor exercised some 'extraordinary' airmanship.....(Pinjarra approx. 40nm S of YPPH)

Skydiver saved after mid-air seizure in Pinjarra (http://www.watoday.com.au/wa-news/skydiver-saved-after-midair-seizure-in-pinjarra-20150302-13sn5j.html?eid=email:nnn-13omn652-ret_newsl-membereng:nnn-04/11/2013-news_am-dom-news-nnn-watoday-u&campaign_code=13INO006&promote_channel=edmail&mbnr=NTYxMTM0NQ)

EXTRAORDINARY!! And, WELL DONE THAT MAN!!

Cheers:ok:

Squawk7700
2nd Mar 2015, 04:40
As a non-jumping pilot with no desire to do so, I thought chutes had an auto release at 3-4k ft.... Am I dreaming?

The name is Porter
2nd Mar 2015, 04:49
They do, its called a cypres.

Lookleft
2nd Mar 2015, 06:35
Probably did not go to a DAME to get a medical clearance. Most GPs know squat about aviation medicine.

Capn Bloggs
2nd Mar 2015, 07:10
When asked whether he thought it was risky for him to skydive with epilepsy on Radio 6pr, Christopher said: "There's a risk in everything you do. I could have a seizure while driving. So, I don't think there was too much of a risk involved with jumping out of an aeroplane. I knew the risk.
And the risk to me or my family, as another road user??

fencehopper
2nd Mar 2015, 08:37
Good job by the Instructor to recognize then act.Deployed the students main canopy and even kept his ripcord.
Usually Student rigs have just one AAD ( automatic activation device) that is fitted to the reserve canopy and pre set for one thousand feet for students.
This drop zone also has them fitted to the main as well and set for higher around 2000' students are required to deploy at 3000'. So chances of him dieing were pretty slim. Can see a change in medical clearance after this.

kingRB
2nd Mar 2015, 12:55
So chances of him dieing were pretty slim.

Yeah, I can't see being unconscious under a canopy being a problem at all. Drift into power lines, cars, cliffs, fences. Maybe an aircraft on the field.

Hopefully the dude is perma grounded. He's obviously unable to make rational decisions for himself.

The Wawa Zone
3rd Mar 2015, 01:57
AAD would have worked, but as he was spinning he would have had a big line twist and if snoozin' would smacked in very hard.

jas24zzk
3rd Mar 2015, 08:34
Yeah, I can't see being unconscious under a canopy being a problem at all. Drift into power lines, cars, cliffs, fences. Maybe an aircraft on the field.

I think i would prefer to be unco, under a canopy with the risks you list, with a chance, rather than under no canopy with a guarantee.
------

Well done the instructor in getting to him and getting things stabilised and the main deployed, before reliance on the last chances. :ok:

YPJT
3rd Mar 2015, 12:24
Well done the instructor in getting to him and getting things stabilised and the main deployed, before reliance on the last chances.
I think that comment sums it up perfectly:ok: