PDA

View Full Version : EASA ATPL to FAA ATP

theflyingbus
1st Mar 2015, 10:07
Good afternoon all

I have done a search on here and the net, but struggling to get my head round this, so any help is great fully appreciated!!

I have a UK issued EASA ATPL and would like a stand alone FAA ATP.
I see things changed in the States from 1st August 2014.
Can anyone point me in the direction of exactly what I need to do and/how to do it please?

I live in London

Thanks in advance

MarkerInbound
1st Mar 2015, 15:49
It seems every 10th thread in the North America section is about getting a FAA certificate.

1. You need to have your CAA validate your license to the FAA. (This allows you to skip the FAA private and commercial certificates.)

2. You need to pass a TSA background check.

3. Complete a ATP certificate training program.

4. Pass the ATP written.

5. Pass at least a 3rd class FAA medical.

6. Pass the ATP checkride.

If you are going for a type rating in a sim you do not need a medical but you must have a record of ground and flight training and an instructor's signoff for the checkride.

theflyingbus
1st Mar 2015, 17:02
Markerinbound, thank you very much-I didn't think to try the North American thread!

Just a couple more things in reply, if you would be so kind?

Your points 1 & 2. I have an FAA PPL "piggy backed" to my UK EASA licence, does that satisfy these two requirements or do I need to still do your points 1 & 2?

3.Is there anywhere in the UK that can do the ATP certificate training programme?

4. I believe the FAA writern can be done at Farnborough in the UK? Do I have to sign to a training organisation to get access to the question bank or is it direct with the FAA?

5. Fine

6. I hold a 737 type rating. Do I need "training" before the sim ride and can this also count as the ATP check ride?

Massive thanks in advance-it's a bit more complicated than I thought-i won't even start on adding instructor ratings based on my UK ones yet!!!

MarkerInbound
2nd Mar 2015, 18:33
Yeah, I don't understand. There is a forum for North America. Then there's a forum for northern North America under its common name and one for the southern part of North America under its common name. Above my pay grade.

Anyway,

1. The foreign license validation is good for 6 months so it depends when you got the 61.75.

2. The TSA is more paranoid, you'll need a new background check for a type rating no matter when your first check was done.

3. In the UK, ha! Currently there are only 4 places in the US you can do it.

4 Yes, Flight Safety at Farnborough can do the written. From what I've heard of the UK CAA ATP written, ours is a walk in the park. Aerodynamics, Weight & Balance, Met theory are what they are no matter where you are. Regs and the FAA instrument approach charts will probably be the big issues. The FAA does not make their question bank available to the public, they do have some sample questions on their web site. There are a few commercial online trainers. Sheppard Air, Dauntless and Gleim come to mind. I used Sheppard for the F/E written years ago based on what I'd heard about their ATP prep, it was painless. I don't know anything about the others but I'm sure you can find online reviews of each.

6. For a type rating you'll need a record of ground and flight training from an "authorized" instructor which means a FAA instructor or an instructor at a FAA approved training center. Most training centers have a short course for foreign pilots and upgrades. Maybe three class room days and three sims to get ready for the oral exam and checkride. And yes, your type ride can be your ATP ride.

The really big issues now is the ATP CTP. I'll bet a case of beer that for 99 percent of the ATP rides since August last year they did their writtens before the CTP requirement went into effect in August.

theflyingbus
3rd Mar 2015, 07:23
Again, thank you for your response.

The CTP is the obvious sticking point-only 4 in the states!

Will look int the others-looks like an American vacation will be gained from it though!!

MarkerInbound
3rd Mar 2015, 17:05
There are a couple colleges that have the CTP built into their degree program but that takes 4 years. And a couple regionals are set up to run the class for their new hires but there are only 4 places you can sign up for a free standing class open to anyone. There are some other TCs working on getting their program approved but it's 30 classroom hours and 10 hours in a large airplane sim so they'll never be available at smaller airports.

B737900er
3rd Mar 2015, 18:13
What is ludicrous is the fact they want you to do sim time to prepare for a written exam:ugh: Again, another nutty rule made up by bureaucrats.

theflyingbus
4th Mar 2015, 07:14
And I thought that the CAA/EASA had some "good ideas"!

BAe 146-100
4th Mar 2015, 13:59
One quick question, if you have a valid ATP written from pre the new CTP ruling, can you still only do the check ride in the USA or can you do it outside the USA?

3 Point
4th Mar 2015, 15:58
If you passed the written prior to 1 Aug 2014 then you have 24 months to complete the check ride for the licence issue. If you miss the 24 months then you have to take the CTP programme.

MarkerInbound
4th Mar 2015, 16:33
If you've passed the written you can take the checkride anywhere. Once you complete the CTP you can take the written anywhere. It's just the CTP that is the bottleneck.

BAe 146-100
4th Mar 2015, 21:43
The issue I am having is where to find a dpe who is located outside USA who can do the ATP checkride.

ahwalk01
5th Mar 2015, 11:37
http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/439535-new-faa-designated-pilot-examiner-europe.html

Janeen does regular visits to the UK, I would suggest getting in touch.

Alex.

MarkerInbound
5th Mar 2015, 17:39
I think you're in luck at least on the FAA side. Normally if you have a type rating on a commercial certificate and you pass an ATP checkride in the same class aircraft the type rating elevates to the ATP level with no further checking. The reasoning is the FAA says all type rating checkrides are to ATP standards even if the certificate is only at the private level. The FAA guidance for military pilots says that commercial type ratings will upgrade but refers to the wrong reg which makes me think the guidance has not been updated in a few years. So I'm thinking you can complete an ATP MEL checkride in a PA-34 and have the FAA ATP MEL with B-737 on it. It's an odd enough situation I'd check with the local FAA office to confirm.