PDA

View Full Version : What does your schedule looks like?

TheSandPilot
28th Feb 2015, 12:52
Hello,

This is my first post on this forums, I'm a student currently who is interested in aviation, I might join the national cadet program, and I'm just curious about how the schedules of the pilots are.

I know, I have heard and saw many posts, but I just want to see someone's real schedule, like how it looks like, flights per month, locations, distances, rest days.. etc.

Please, don't turn me down :D

Thanks!

dubaigong
1st Mar 2015, 02:20
I doubt that a pilot will show his schedule that can easily identify him if the company sees it.
If you are looking to start a cadet programm it means that you are local... Then go and ask you local friends or even the company you plan to work for to show you some flight Schedule.

The Turtle
1st Mar 2015, 04:50
It looks nothing like I bid for...

Praise Jebus
1st Mar 2015, 09:30
Hilarious. ..you are thinking of being an airline pilot and want to know how hard you might have to work?? 99.999% of people on this forum in fact on Pprune wanted to fly because they .....wanted to actually fly. I didn't even know what a ******* schedule was for the first fews years of flying.....

NinER fIveR
1st Mar 2015, 14:29
Apologies SandPilot, I can promise you that not all pilots become dehumanized cynical wretches after getting cushy jobs that so many others would kill for.

Regarding your question, maybe no one is willing to show you their schedule but u can still get an idea.

You will have a minimum 8 days off per month. Probably an average of 9-10 for your first few years. At least 3 times a month you will get a "weekend" of some sort (meaning 2 or more days off in a row, not necessarily on the actual "weekend"). This is in addition to 42 days off per year annual leave. As you get more senior you can probably manage 12-14 days off per month on a regular basis. It is important to understand that you will spend most of these days off recovering from strings of long duties and jet lag.

Regarding where you will go, it depends on which airline you join and which fleet you are on. If you join Emirates (or any other wide body ULR operator) you can expect a mix of really long flights to N and S America, Australia, etc medium stuff like Europe, Africa, and Asia and some very short flights to the Middle East. Most of the long and medium flights will be layovers, but don't be under the impression that any airlines will send you anywhere for more than absolutely necessary. Long gone are the days of the 72 hour layover where you get to properly explore a city or take your wife/GF for a decent mini vacation. If you decide to go with a narrow body fleet like Air Arabia or flydubai your flights will mainly be quick turnarounds to places within a 5 hour radius of your base. The destinations are mostly lesser known places or "second cities" rather than capitals, and the layovers are few and not that interesting, and there is a LOT of flying within the Middle East.

All UAE carriers operate extensively at night so a large portion of your flying will be in odd hours regardless which fleet or airline you choose, and they operate to dangerous areas like Iraq and Afghanistan. The working environment is as multicultural as it gets. You could be on a flight with colleagues from 15 different nationalities who speak 20 languages between them.

Another aspect of a career as a pilot, here or elsewhere, is the constant training and testing in the sim and the annual physical exams. Stumbling over any one of these hurdles could lead to a disruption to your career.

Becoming an airline pilot could be a great and regarding career, but it certainly requires a dedication to hard work and love for flying to be able to cope with the strains to your physical health and your social life. It's not for everyone. My two cents would be to go flying a few times with an instructor and see if you get bitten by the flying bug. If your mind is not made up by then I would say find another career.

Good Luck.

SOPS
1st Mar 2015, 14:42
42 days annual leave....God I love to see that

glofish
1st Mar 2015, 15:32
I can promise you that not all pilots become dehumanized cynical wretches after getting cushy jobs that so many others would kill for

Well, keep on promising my dear friend, that's about the most hollow thing that gets pronounced in this region, your pathetic one included.

As far as the cushy job, well, your silly words, but tell us who you have killed for it, or who "so many others" would kill to get it? I guess just the one a step below your pecking order.

Rosters here are 90+ hours per month throughout as many time zones as you can imagine with an average of 30 of the 42 "promised" leave days. It's sustainable for maybe a few years, but if you want to call these conditions a longer term career, then you are either Superman or a complete idiot.

harry the cod
1st Mar 2015, 16:12
No vacation for 16 months! Really? Sorry pal, going to call you on that one. There's no way on this earth you'd have done 16 months without some form of leave.

If that was me, I'd not be posting on PPRune, I'd be writing to JA and AS. That's beyond reasonable.

Harry

Avid Aviator
1st Mar 2015, 16:31
It's happening, know a FO with exactly that at the moment.
Happened to me in 2012 (well, 14 months)
Quite legal.
I'm surprised there aren't some with 22 months the way they are rostering it.
Not sustainable when you only get 30 days total anyway.

CamelRustler
1st Mar 2015, 16:45
Sorry HTC the 16 months is true. I I am sure JA and AS know its happening. I did bid for the latest April days, but since I was not getting married in April I did not get any vacation that month either. I would agree with fatbus on the fact you need to ask Cadets. I would ask 777 FO's as that is the fleet you will be placed on in 3 years. Ask them what they think their schedules will like be in 4-5 years. I would ask at least cadets 3 preferably 5. Sum up your answers. Do not ignore the complainers nor would I ignore the positive posts. We just work for a different companies. You really need to ask your countrymen for the best answer.

NinER fIveR
1st Mar 2015, 17:11
It's OK guys, I understand. You're stuck here so you whine, and embellish, and paint it black. I get it, really. But if you don't mind, some people intend to make the most of their employment here and some others would like some honest and OBJECTIVE advice about their potential career, not a competition over who can come up with the most soul-destroying joke. Carry on...

fatbus
1st Mar 2015, 17:24
You can ignore the repeat complainers . Thet will try to turn every thread into their own bitch session about EK.
I would recommend that if you are aUAE national contact some of the cadets that have been flying the line for a couple years to get their take on it.

palm
1st Mar 2015, 17:43
NinER fIveR is a total dreamer....just try to be accurate or don't post anything on this forum.

sluggums
2nd Mar 2015, 02:22
Hahahaha, that's hilarious. The only bit missing was the demand for some respect...

That last post pretty much sums this place up. "If you don't like it leave", actually, a lot are thank you very much, some without jobs to go to... Best careful what you wish for.

50-60 hours per month, so that's the same as 90-95 hours per month, is it? You have no idea.

1,000's of pilots eh? Funny, we're cancelling recruitment sims every week, and roughly speaking 4 out of 5 of the remaining sessions have vacant slots in them. But then again "we've got 1,000's of applicants" is the rubbish they spout from the bouncy castle. The management would 'count' an application from my infirm mother...go figure.

...and I have seen people with 18 months between leave, fact. So while some of you complain about the complainers, bear in mind that there is a lot of verifiable facts in their moaning, but then again, why let the facts get in the way of your version of reality.

G.Green
2nd Mar 2015, 06:45
Thank you abby001 but I'm not sure they heard you down the back.

nolimitholdem
2nd Mar 2015, 07:30
hahaha the abby001 post is priceless! I particularly like the large font. But the best part is I don't even think it's a wind-up, he probably actually believes his own bs! Still chuckling.

That IS the best summation of the arrogant, crudely self-aggrandizing stereotype on display all over the region. I wonder if the more moderate locals cringe when they read stuff like that?

If the attitude in that post doesn't help dissuade anyone from wanting to join the ME aviation scene, I don't know what will.

Am NOT Sure
2nd Mar 2015, 07:35
Abby001

A bit harsh eh? You sound like a great candidate for the next ISIS batch

TransitCheck
2nd Mar 2015, 09:32
Abby,

You must be management.

I think if you find that if you open your mind and actually read what everyone is complaining about you will see that everyone is basically saying the same things. People are here because we want to be here but within the culture in the ME when you attempt to make suggestions, they fall on deaf ears or you get the same response that you posted above. Most come here very happy and positive and then sour after 3 years or so.....that says a lot if you actually think about it.

The strong arm posting/meetings, fist shaking, yelling, and "if you don't like it, leave" comments are the most frustrating because they don't serve any purpose and they don't help solve any of the problems that exist at any company.

Certain airlines in the ME could be the BEST place in the world to work for. THE BEST. For most on this site, this is not our first airline. We have seen airlines fail and have seen the short comings at other workplaces and would like to see those same issues fixed here before it is too late. The avenues for suggestions and fixing the issues at hand are just not open enough for employees to communicate with management here.

Instead of shunning guys away listen to what is being said. It's called constructive criticism and you will find that most people on here making the points actually care the most about their companies future and their careers but are frustrated at the lack of interest from the top in fixing even the cost neutral or minor cost issues that would greatly improve working conditions.

We know that complacency in the cockpit is very dangerous.....and it is VERY dangerous....so we fight to combat that.

The most dangerous thing at management level is arrogance........need I say more.

littlejet
2nd Mar 2015, 09:47
well said TransitCheck

pacbro
2nd Mar 2015, 11:34
Abby

If your dear wife misses you and complains you're not home enough and you're doing "50-60hrs" a month, imagine what she'd be like if you worked for EK! If you don't like what's being said here, go read the newspaper :ok:

Over and out.

fatbus
2nd Mar 2015, 12:57
When making a career choice never ever listen to Pprune!

TwoTone-7
2nd Mar 2015, 14:53
The ones complaining won't get the hell out because they can't go anywhere else that'll pay them as well, flying heavy metal and able to employ their own personal slave, sorry I mean maid for a few hundred $$ a month.

As someone else said, we are all in a profession which most have left as a distant dream and most cannot afford to enter.

May this year bring an end to your miserable lives as pilots in the ME!

glofish
2nd Mar 2015, 17:02
abby, you are just a hole in a slice of Swiss cheese

eternity
2nd Mar 2015, 18:15
Pls forgive me, I've had a couple of those well overpriced tsingtaos from the mini fridge and there is not good English movies on the telly.

I have watched friends in EK have their love for EK go down more and more over the past few years. It's not personal ...... Not at all. They are just looking at the quality and number of applications coming in and like any other company will be doing their best to find cost savings (higher productivity rate, undercrewing, etc etc. This isn't nasty, vengeful work....this is business.

HOWEVER......the other side is when you start being unable to recruit the right quality of pilot or people keep leaving. Then just like supply and demand in all other businesses, pay goes up. Hrs down slightly etc etc........supply and demand.

However, here does seem something that concerns me......Peach Aviation
Pls take into account I don't do too much forensic study into these these.
But from what I have heard, Peach is now cancelling flights due to lack of flight. Crew. I'm thinking probably because their pay is ****ty and their rosters are ****ty.
Now the guys running peach are not complete muppets. I'm sure they have their finger on the pulse. I'm sure the T&Cs from other local airlines has been compared..........yet they will not improve those T&Cs and it would appear they would rather park the planes..........that scares me a but.

An airline makes money when they put pax into their planes (ignoring yield) and go flying. That's the sole business purpose of what an airline is. If they are willing to essentially stop portions of how they make money to prevent a certain group getting slightly better cash......honestly scares the crap out of me.
It says to me that the age old 'supply and demand' technique seems to be something they don't want to do.........that's a bit scary to me.
That's akin to me shooting both myself and my friend rather than admitting I was wrong to my friend.

I hear from guys that times at EK are not great right now. I also hear about how they are struggling to find suitable guys right now. I suppose the big question is, will EK recognise that this is a problem they may have created and then begin actions to address these problems, or will (like Peach) emdanger their entire existence about being an airline just to not increase your lifestyles T&CS etc....

There might be some errors in this. But that's because Of the overpriced beers from my room (I bet the bastrds are going to want at least 70rmb for them!!!!

Eternity.

ekwhistleblower
3rd Mar 2015, 02:18
Go and have a look at Abby and TwoTone's last few posts then either put them on ignore or wind them up in the Wannabee forum.

My experience is that if you want to get a great job, you need to earn it! That doesn't mean go fly and just build hours it means demonstrating your quality. The reason people aspire to better jobs is because they provide greater rewards. When those jobs are under threat they try to protect them but the common trend nowadays is for those that haven't earnt the jobs to tell them to leave so they can have them. And there beginneth the spiral to doom!

pacbro
3rd Mar 2015, 04:38
Abby

As glofish correctly pointed out, you're a hole.

Laker
3rd Mar 2015, 07:51
Eternity,

Peach is a subsidiary of ANA. I believe the going rate for an A320 contract CA in that part of the world is approaching, and in some cases, exceeding 20kUSD/month. Possibly management has determined it doesn't make sense to pay the low cost pilots more than the mainline pilots. It could create havoc across the system.

If an independent low cost such as RyanAir or Air Asia started parking airplanes rather than offering more money then I would start to worry. I think Peach is more of a test case to figure out how the Japanese market responds to additional low cost carriers. Air Asia Japan didn't last long.

TwoTone-7
3rd Mar 2015, 17:53
ekwhistleblower, quite the contrary to what you say. I do have the priveledge of working for a reputable outfit. I think your user ID itself speaks volume for the amount of respect you're willing to give the company you work for.
Going on from there, I think if you are wanting respect from colleagues or your company then it must be earnt, something you say yourself. I would like to ask, how do demonstrate your quality, perhaps people on the forum and especially wannabees may learn a thing or two.

Whining and moaning to me is not a demonstration of protecting your job. Well, it doesn't appear to me anyway. We have a choice and either we can create a new possibility within the realms of a breakdown, be that management, colleague, world crisis or we move over and away. To racket constantly comes at a cost to oneself and the misery you inflict on your FO and other colleagues at work.

Comparing today's terms to that of the past achieves little.

That's my two pence from someone who has earnt his keep from a non priveledged background.

Cheers!

fatbus
4th Mar 2015, 06:48
TT7 good post , I hope the EK babies read and learn a bit. It's tiring listening to the constant complaining . Their wives have already told them to grow up.

nolimitholdem
5th Mar 2015, 18:47
The best thing you can do with EK is...leave. You will be much happier. Trust me. :ok: It really is a pile of camel ****e in the grand scheme of things.

But while it is human nature to complain - you have to look at it in context. A few people moaning = the usual suspects. When the malaise crosses all employee groups and exists on virtually each and every flight, it's perhaps a more systemic problem. Only the truly foolish would think there is no substance to the growing chorus of discontent.

Time will tell.

But it's clear abby001 DOES actually believe his own bs, which is kind of...endearing. Delusional, but cute in a childish way.

Oh, and people complaining about other people complaining is kind of stupid. I find it usually emanates from ancient fossils in the twilight of their careers who don't have much time to go anyway, so just want everyone to shut up to not make their last couple years unpleasant while they count the days. Boo hoo, I say.

Officer Kite
5th Mar 2015, 23:25
nolimitholdem, out of all the people on here, you win the award for the most miserable of all by a country mile. I often wonder that if you spent as much time as you did on this actually trying to live a life, the bitterness may fade away slightly. I doubt that will happen somehow :hmm: I do however feel sorry for people who may actually be sub consciously basing their career decisions off of some of the absolute c*** that appears on here at times.

Gander_Radio
6th Mar 2015, 11:52
It seems to me that EK is like apple. It is the power of the brand is what keeps management pushing its employees to the limit. I bet most iPhone users wont stop buying iPhones or apple products if they heard about apple phones exploding or catching fire for no reason. I wouldn't be surprised if airlines like EK have made studies to see how they would be affected if they lost an aircraft and I'm pretty sure if these studies exist, EK can afford to lose an airplane.

There will always be a large number of pilots around the planet who would love a chance for an interview at an airline like EK, even if they read every negative post on this website about the conditions there. It is just the power of the brand.

go46ball
7th Mar 2015, 07:08
Looks like low staffing levels are rearing their ugly head. Phones are ringing for a few of us on off days. Can't wait to hear the report sent upstairs on why flights are CX'ing. Gotta be a pilots fault some how.....Boss they wouldn't answer the phone. :ugh: