PDA

View Full Version : New Reds fin design...

Nige321
24th Feb 2015, 21:20
...unveiled tomorrow - Wednesday 25th Feb... :ok:

Wensleydale
24th Feb 2015, 21:26
...although I gather that it is already been on lots of spotters' sites already (despite requests for it to be kept under wraps).

NutLoose
24th Feb 2015, 21:54
You can wrap it up in whatever you want, the display will still be the same old boring regurgitated act that it has been for years.
The only good thing going for them is they normally indicate when it is time to be heading for the carpark.

The B Word
24th Feb 2015, 22:05
I kind of lost interest after they got rid of the Gnat...

http://s57.photobucket.com/component/Download-File?file=%2Falbums%2Fg209%2Flongranger%2F1604492_6495311217 85873_555458912_n_zpse7c3627a.jpg

Clockwork Mouse
24th Feb 2015, 22:43
NutLoose

I'm happy to report that there is every indication that the Great British Public do not share your jaundiced views of airshows and of the RAF's public ambassadors in particular, which you never lose an opportunity to repeat. If you don't like airshows, stay away and keep quiet about it. You are BORING.

NutLoose
24th Feb 2015, 22:48
I enjoy airshows and have for years, indeed I go to many and photograph loads, but the Reds are a product from a bygone era, and slapping a different scheme on them can never reinvent the wheel. There are far more exciting and impressive displays about these days.

Fishtailed
24th Feb 2015, 22:49
Pilot's Pals eh! I like the Reds aswell.:)

Wrathmonk
25th Feb 2015, 07:11
According to Sky News it is

the first livery change in its history

It mentions the "one-off tailfin design brought in for 2014 to mark the Red Arrows' 50th display year" but is this really the first livery change?

Red Arrows Reveal Historic Tail Fin Redesign (http://news.sky.com/story/1433625/red-arrows-reveal-historic-tail-fin-redesign)

Wensleydale
25th Feb 2015, 07:17
Are they being sponsored by British Airways?

Nige321
25th Feb 2015, 07:34
https://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11021111_652683311527581_7796252064655961826_n.jpg?oh=b98602 142128a7fb380315b1099a5c77&oe=55482AB0

Tashengurt
25th Feb 2015, 07:42
Snazzy camo life preservers. The pilot mentions plugging it into the oxygen systems as well as his mask. Do they have pressure jerkins now?

sitigeltfel
25th Feb 2015, 08:03
A friend was here during his 60th birthday and on the big day I took him out into the garden at around 9.45am. Spot on cue the Patrouille de France roared over puffing smoke and I hinted that I had laid the flypast on for him.

When they did the same for the following few days he twigged and I had to tell him that they did it most days on their way up to their practice airfield at Plan Dieu. ;)

BEagle
25th Feb 2015, 08:09
Nice idea to use the Union Flag in that way. However, to my eye the top part doesn't look quite right without a second blue segment.

Anyway, good luck for the 2015 season, RAFAT!

Background Noise
25th Feb 2015, 08:18
Snazzy camo life preservers. The pilot mentions plugging it into the oxygen systems as well as his mask. Do they have pressure jerkins now?

No, the oxygen hose is just routed via the jacket. The lower end of the jacket has a common fitting to attach oxygen, g-suit and comms to the seat. The top end attaches to the mask.

Courtney Mil
25th Feb 2015, 08:33
...to my eye the top part doesn't look quite right without a second blue segment.

Apparently it's a government measure to start phasing out Scotland.

Tashengurt
25th Feb 2015, 08:33
Thanks BN. I thought I heard him say his jacket inflated but on looking again it's clear he meant his trousers and just misspoke.

It should have been obvious from the PEC that things haven't moved on that much since I squippered on Hawks but as some of the last items I worked on were Combat Edge and EF2000 pressure waistcoats I wondered if they had made it to service. :ok:

Tashengurt
25th Feb 2015, 08:34
It does look a tiny bit EDL ish.

Exascot
25th Feb 2015, 08:36
Mrs Exascot says that it looks like British Airways! Looks fine to me. However what did the re-branding consultant charge the MOD for said design?

strake
25th Feb 2015, 11:05
Well, you know how it is, not easy...

PR Team Leader: 'Now, let's try and think up something that encompasses all things British.'

Gofer: 'Union flag?'

PRTL: 'Brilliant..an excellent idea! So, what design should we use?'

Gofer: 'Erm...well, it's sort of fairly standard..'

PRTL: 'Hmm..yes, I agree We need some focus-time. I think a villa in Sorrento should help clear the mind. I'll take Clarissa, Victoria, Olivia and Georgia. We'll call you with the result.'

Gofer: 'Uh..OK'

Three days later, Gofer picks up the phone...

PRTL: 'It's me. God how we've agonised over this one BUT we're going to paint a curvishy-type Union Jack flaggy thing on the sticky-up bit at the back'

Gofer:'Riiight..'

PRTL: 'Get on with that would you and ask accounts to send the invoice
£250k as agreed. We'll be back next week - must get a bit of relaxing in now..bye-eee'

WE992
25th Feb 2015, 11:46
I think the tail looks rather good. Perhaps we should be grateful that we don't have the tacky corporate Royal Air Force with roundel insignia which is appearing on other aircraft.

Martin the Martian
25th Feb 2015, 12:28
Um, have you seen the lettering along the fuselage?

Davef68
25th Feb 2015, 12:34
It mentions the "one-off tailfin design brought in for 2014 to mark the Red Arrows' 50th display year" but is this really the first livery change?

I think it's the first time they have changed the tail design since 1979 (Red/white/blue stripes) - they have had commemorative numbers on the stripes as well in the past

Someone showed me a guide to the Red Arrows that one of the modelling clubs (IPMS?) did, which detailled all the minor variations in their schemes over the years.

Linedog
25th Feb 2015, 12:34
Would be nice to see the Union Flag painted under the wings.

Evanelpus
25th Feb 2015, 12:42
It does look a tiny bit EDL ish.

Mmmm, that was my first reaction too!:uhoh:

P6 Driver
25th Feb 2015, 13:26
It's like Marmite - some will like it and some won't. I'm a "glass half full" type and like what they've done as opposed to some who it seems, automatically rally against such changes regardless of what it may be.

On a not-very-serious aviation website, when someone announced the change unveiling for today, the first reply included the phrase "preparing to be underwhelmed". Glass half empty there, I think!

What I've NEVER seen from anyone who knocks these designs is their own version, which they would consider to be better - so how about it this time? Go on, surprise me!

;)

KPax
25th Feb 2015, 14:36
Maybe companies could sponsor a design on the tail and then write off against tax, seems like the in thing just now. There are some amusing possibilities that spring to mind.

jindabyne
25th Feb 2015, 18:33
Hope they have a good season

ValMORNA
25th Feb 2015, 20:16
While waiting in line to pay in a cheque in B*******s Bank this morning I saw pictures on BBC News TV of the Arrows in flight. The furthest from camera had a plain red fin-and-rudder. Painter's day-off?

Nige321
25th Feb 2015, 20:37
Painter's day-off?

Hardly...
The Hawks are being used during the week - 2 are being done each weekend. Red fin, blue rudder, then stickies for the rest when time allows...

BARKINGMAD
25th Feb 2015, 22:10
Blessed Margaret T, then still UK Prime Minister, when the then "new" Concorde Chatham flag tailfin paint scheme was pointed out to her whilst aboard the Classic 747 in the cul-de-sac at JFK, replied:

"Can't they paint straight lines anymore?". Sums it up methinks!!

Not quite the hankerchief over the tail, but not far off?

How much did this exercise cost, bearing in mind the lack of dosh available for the troops in the sandpit(s) during the last 2 fruitless ventures?

Bob Viking
26th Feb 2015, 01:32
Barkingmad.
And there it is. It took until your post for the sordid topic of the coin to be raised. I can't be bothered to explain what many of us already know.
This website never changes.
BV

dmussen
26th Feb 2015, 06:02
Cheer up chaps.
Worry when they run out of paint or time on the airframes or MOD deciding that admin is much more important than effective kit,(or have they already gone and dunnit)..?
Solo Aeros in a Chippy?

ShotOne
26th Feb 2015, 07:25
I think the new fin looks great!

For the record, I didn't think Maggie minded the Chatham livery; it was the ethnic mosaic patterns that famously got the handkerchief treatment.

And +1 to following two posts; it's OUR bl**dy flag!

OvertHawk
26th Feb 2015, 09:36
I think it's really sad that any use of our nations' flag is considered reminiscent of the EDL etc.

It's our flag for goodness-sake. Why can't we use it. The best way to stop it being over-associated with the right-wing bigots is to use it more, not use it less!

OH

RUCAWO
26th Feb 2015, 09:42
How can the fleeeg of the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland be reminicent of the Englandshire Dopey Loons ? ;)

BARKINGMAD
26th Feb 2015, 21:09
I understand from Ledwidges book "Investment in Blood" that the last troops out of the sandpit ran out of the right type of explosives to destroy the remaining surplus ammunition which would otherwise fall into the hands of the enemy.

When the ordinary soldier was reported as having to buy their own kit for their time in the same sandpit, then it must hurt those who lost mates or bits of themselves, driving around in ex Northern Ireland 'snatch' Landrovers which were vulnerable to tinpot IEDs planted by the resourceful local populace!

So I will happily push the cost of such cosmetics and leave it to those who think it's not right, to discuss with the veterans of the recent campaigns why any more money should be diverted to tarting up the Arrows' mounts in times of fiscal austerity!

RAFEngO74to09
26th Feb 2015, 22:03
Slightly off-topic I know, but wasn't it nice when display teams used to fly the best aircraft in their air force's inventory at the time and actually provided an exciting, very noisy spectacle ! Now, where is my time machine ?

https://c2.staticflickr.com/8/7023/6428718259_2ab6cf8208_z.jpg

http://aerobaticteams.net/images/thunderbirds/thunderbirds-f-4-35.jpg

http://www.fhms.gr/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=8919&g2_serialNumber=1

http://www.cavok-aviation-photos.net/Zeltweg05/Drakens.jpg

http://www.carlosghys.be/photographs/biography/photo_biography_67_600x409.jpg

http://aerobaticteams.net/images/belgian-teams/slivers-F-104-starfighter-05.jpg

http://aerobaticteams.net/images/raf-teams/firebirds-lightning-10.jpg

Noah Zark.
26th Feb 2015, 23:03
Dammit, those Lightnings look good! Pity it's not a colour piccy!

just another jocky
27th Feb 2015, 07:45
And there it is. It took until your post for the sordid topic of the coin to be raised. I can't be bothered to explain what many of us already know.
This website never changes.
BV

BV, can't help but agree with you there (my bold).

I know we're all entitled to our opinions but this site is increasingly populated by grumpy old men who can do nothing else but rant on about how much better things were in their day with no apparent knowledge of the issues faced by today's air force (nor how much better as individuals and operators they are today).

If I ever get like that, please feel free to shoot me! :ugh:

Autobahnstormer
5th Mar 2015, 10:20
DaveF
The booklet was published by IPMS but collated & written by the Aerobatic Display Teams Group (shameless plug there). There have been numerous small additions and changes, mostly celebratory logos applied since the original paint scheme was unveiled in 1980. Aside from the 'Royal Air Force' on the flanks & last years anniversary Paint scheme, this is the first major change.
If you want one, search a well known online auction site whose last 3 is 'bay', the author sells them directly for a reasonable sum. If they are presently unlisted send me a PM and I'll forward it to him.

Martin the Martian
5th Mar 2015, 10:25
And a very useful and informative publication it is as well.

Rakshasa
9th Mar 2015, 22:00
I suspect anything short of Tranch One Typhoons getting a coat of Red will probably pass Joe Public by.