PDA

View Full Version : Daughter's First Solo

LowNSlow
24th Feb 2015, 13:27
I'm pleased to say the the LowNSlowette did her first solo last weekend and achieved her ambition of getting it under her belt just before her 17th birthday. :ok::ok:

She's chasing a career in the front seat of one of Boeing's or Airbus' products so any suggestions for work experience over the coming summers as she matures towards a BA FPP / easyJet Cadet application would be greatly appreciated.

FlyingOfficerKite
24th Feb 2015, 14:00
Just out of interest was this flight carried out in a sailplane or an aeroplane under the auspices of the UK CAA or EASA?

Just that CAP804 states:

FCL.020 Student pilot

A student pilot shall not fly solo unless authorised to do so and supervised by a flight instructor.

Before his/her first solo flight, a student pilot shall be at least:

in the case of aeroplanes, helicopters and airships: 16 years of age;

in the case of sailplanes and balloons: 14 years of age.

LowNSlow
24th Feb 2015, 14:56
Well spotted FO Kite!! Typographical fingers in action again....

She was actually 16, and did the solo a week before her 17th birthday!

FlyingOfficerKite
24th Feb 2015, 15:22
Congratulations to her :)

Quite a number of airline captains I know started out helping at the local flying club - assisting with reception duties, cleaning aeroplanes in exchange for hours and so on ...

I suppose it's when she says: 'Dad can I borrow £100,000 to complete my fATPL' that the idea of a career in law, accountancy or engineering seem all the more attractive!!!

John R81
24th Feb 2015, 16:18
Don't tell me that.

R81ette is aiming for commercial and just coming up to her Skills Test.

chillindan
24th Feb 2015, 17:58
Maybe I shouldn't have taken my 3 daughters for their first flights the other day.... GULP!

SpannerInTheWerks
24th Feb 2015, 18:33
Don't worry too much.

I used to take my daughter flying and she's an accountant now.

Private education cost me more than £100k though!!!

bingoboy
25th Feb 2015, 16:34
Congrats to LowNSlowette and best wishes to R81ette.

I was lucky enough to be flying from a different field and watching and ear wigging when my daughter went solo, she now has her licence and is in the aviation industry (not airborne but very happy).

She organised her own work experiences with amongst others the ATC at a local field, an AEF, an airline run by Mr Branson and a couple of other companies after attending a couple of shows and an RAeS event. Pleasingly these were at her own initiative albeit I made some suggestions and provided fares/dads taxi etc.

Hope they all achieve what they desire.

Pace
25th Feb 2015, 20:20
LowNslow

Ok not a daughter but my son was in the right seat of a 737 with EasyJet at age 20 and now flies as a Captain in the A320 still in his 20s

He knew what he wanted and refused advice of going to University but went to Oxford and then through a selection process with CTC.

He was lucky as he went through the last 6 selected by EJ in the recession before EJ put a stop to taking on new pilots from CTC for some time.
Your Daughter can do the same :) but not in a recession
I don't know how CTC have changed now but its the type rating which is expensive and that was mostly covered through CTC

Pace

LowNSlow
26th Feb 2015, 10:00
Thaks for the input all.

Pace, CTC is exactly the path she she want's to go down.

I've started saving!!