PDA

View Full Version : Flight instructor next steps

heading225
24th Feb 2015, 11:06
I am a flight instructor with about 1200 hrs tt. Just wondering if anyone had any tips for the next step towards an airline job?

portsharbourflyer
24th Feb 2015, 15:03
First thing, little point building much more single engine time, if you are full time instructing drop down to part time one day a week.

Go get another weekday job and use the money to either do your MEI/IRI upgrade or fund a SSTR.

A 1000 hour total time has uses, gets you past certain insurance requirements, it is the first 1000 hours towards the ATPL, even if it doesn't necessarily get you a job so to speak.

But no advert ever asks for more than 1000 hours single engine other than single engine CPL instructor or Chief Instructor for a flying club.

BAe 146-100
24th Feb 2015, 17:28
Try Eastern, Atlantic and Loganair. Also Ryanair take a few instructors from time to time.

Jaair
24th Feb 2015, 19:43
Also Ryanair take a few instructors from time to time.

Do airlines not like instructors? Or did you say 'time to time' just because they're currently not hiring that many pilots at the moment?

portsharbourflyer
24th Feb 2015, 20:01
Most people after a year or two of full time instructing couldn't afford to join Ryanair.

BAe 146-100
24th Feb 2015, 20:57
Do airlines not like instructors? Or did you say 'time to time' just because they're currently not hiring that many pilots at the moment?

Ryanair do hire instructors, I said time to time because they don't make up a large portion of who they invite.

heading225
4th Mar 2015, 08:19
Just to let you also know i have an ATR tr self funded that was recently completed

greekboy
4th Mar 2015, 11:29
You could try Stobart; especially if you went to Simech for the training.

portsharbourflyer
5th Mar 2015, 11:12
Heading225,

Keep your ATR rating current, keep applying to the ATR operators.

No point continuing full time instructing you have the first 1000 hours you need for an ATPL, just do one day a week to keep current is all you need now.

Sooner or later you should get something but don't be surprised if you are in for a two year wait.

Have you applied to Air Solenta in South Africa?

Rubennn
7th Mar 2015, 17:41
Heading 225,

I'm in the same situation. I have 1200 hrs TT on SEPs but I'm not a flight instructor. I have been applying a lot recently but without any success.

Airline companies in Europe don't seem to care about SEP time. They just want to hire a candidate with a type rating and 500 hours on type. Maybe one day this will change...