PDA

View Full Version : Lifestyle of VA SO's 777

speedbird983
24th Feb 2015, 02:40
Gday! Can anyone out there shed some light on the lifestyle of 777 SO's with VA?
What are rosters like?
How much time do you spend away from home on average?

Cheers!:ok:

DUXNUTZ
24th Feb 2015, 03:03
Decent to excellent.

Trips are 4 days (LA) to 6 days (AUH). Average a min of 3 days off in a row and sometimes lots more than that. 56 day rosters averaging 5 trips plus or minus a sim.

Like any job there's positives and negatives. You could definitely do worse for a couple years.

ilikecheese
24th Feb 2015, 06:48
Hey everyone. Long time listener, first time poster.

This question must be getting pretty tiresome amongst ppruners but does anyone have any real insight into VAs future recruitment plans?
Why clear an entire hold file of applicants who have been successful through the interview process, then open up new a new application process for limited a number of future vacancies?
Why not take people interested in the positions straight off the hold file and save time and money on a whole new recruitment process?
I'm not a disgruntled applicant off the hold file. If anything this is a massive benefit to myself and many others who have had applications in for years and have never had the opportunity to present for an interview.
Im just trying to gain an insight into their methods.

Also does anyone have any idea how many 777 cruiser positions they'll be interviewing for?
I've heard whispers of Domestic FO positions in the near future but find it hard to believe. Any truth to the rumour?
ILC

Capt Fathom
24th Feb 2015, 09:04
15 years to a command is just not tickling me.
You'll be waiting a long time for a laugh then!

HappyBandit
24th Feb 2015, 09:08
Cheese

Some very pertinent questions. My only guess as to why wipe the hold file is the fact that hr have no idea where people are at after 3 years on the hold. As a result start again!

As for domestic spots. I was on domestic hold and told specifically it will not be happening and any future intakes on domestic is from internals only. This is only if virgin gets new equipment I dont see a massive influx domestically anytime soon.

Altimeters
24th Feb 2015, 09:09
I've heard whispers of Domestic FO positions in the near future but find it hard to believe. Any truth to the rumour?
ILC

I appreciate the fact that this is a rumour forum, but I think it's safe to say that you can put those domestic FO position rumours to bed. There are more than enough guys and gals internally to keep those positions in house rather than make Virgin look to recruit externally to fill positions.

Also as far as the SO lifestyle goes, like duxnutz said, you definitely could do worse for a couple of years! :ok:

If you want it bad enough then take the first offer they give you. Just my 2c.

TwoFiftyBelowTen
24th Feb 2015, 09:30
I've been told that the roster runs down to a week to go before you find out what you're doing for the next 56 days? Hard to make plans......
Is this typical in the industry?

Tankengine
24th Feb 2015, 09:43
"
I've been told that the roster runs down to a week to go before you find out what you're doing for the next 56 days? Hard to make plans......
Is this typical in the industry? "

Same at Qantas.

virginexcess
24th Feb 2015, 09:44
It's actually 10 days..................... And then you can plan for the next 66 days.

burty
24th Feb 2015, 19:12
It's actually 10 days..................... And then you can plan for the next 66 days.

Wow, a 56 day roster, that's awesome. I thought we were being spoilt with 28 days.

Stiff Under Carriage
24th Feb 2015, 21:30
Can anyone shed light on 1st Year Remuneration? Last EBA (2011) stipulated $76K inclusive of Super...

What has it increased to now?

Global Nomad
24th Feb 2015, 21:53
Thread creep but any decent HR manager should empty the application closet out after that time frame, including those interviewed already.

It places the onus on the individual as to whether they're in or out, updates the files of those that are in, cleans out the cobwebs of those that aren't and discovers new talent. Plus, it's free administration maintenance. HR placed an adequate time frame on it, one week is enough for anyone, if it's not you don't want the job enough.

I considered it a while back for a DEC job, no longer available so I've chosen to not update. I thought the email was appropriate and I'm grateful they gave me the opportunity to choose.

My suggestion to anyone looking at these positions (or any for that matter) do your homework, decide what is acceptable and if you take the position, STF up if you knew, or should have known, about certain terms that no longer appeal after you get in. You'll be a better person and operator for it if you do.

It's called 'taking ownership' for your decisions.

ilikecheese
24th Feb 2015, 22:02
It looks like the new entry level as of July 2013 is level 2 - $79 for an SO
Does this sound about right?

anonymouspilot
24th Feb 2015, 22:55
I believe a new long haul EBA is currently being negotiated. As far as I can see the 79k mentioned earlier from the 2011 eba is the current rate but will change (by how much, who knows?) when the new agreement gets through.

HappyBandit
24th Feb 2015, 22:55
Cheese

Pretty sure the EBA states starts at level 4 for 2015? Could be wrong circa 85k?

Nomad: Very true and intelligent input. I agree, just do your homework and if it stacks up great if not, just sit tight. Everyone's circumstances are different and change constantly. Mine certainly have and continue to do so. :)

Altimeters
26th Feb 2015, 00:04
HappyBandit Cheese

Pretty sure the EBA states starts at level 4 for 2015? Could be wrong circa 85k.

That is only for existing pilots from within the group. For new entry it is $79k inc super which is the current level 2 pay. Like others have said it is currently in negotiations so will be subject to change.

Berealgetreal
26th Feb 2015, 08:57
For what it's worth when I started out in the industry, QF and AN would hire a handful of guys per annum. Nobody even contemplated 'time to command' the big issue was: will I EVER get an Airline job and get out of GA/regionals.

Convince yourself all you want that the regionals offer a better deal than a seat at QF or VA. It's like the myth that Virgin pilots live their lives out of a suitcase and in hotel rooms. It's called "bidding system" and whilst hardly perfect it's better than what regionals have to offer!

If you are still not satisfied here's a tip: As far as I know not one Virgin pilot has left to go back to a smaller type. Some have gone to the Middle East however. So I'd suggest significant research in that area as depending on your age and situation that might be a better option. A mate of mine that was a VB wannabe is now a skipper in the ME. It was a very quick process for him!

Ultimately we all need to remember that 03-08 was a unique period and if you are waiting for it to come back you may miss out on what TODAY has to offer.

All the best.

BPA
26th Feb 2015, 09:33
Good post Berealgetreal.

Just a small correction, there have been a few Virgin pilots (FOs) leave to fly business jets overseas and one has gone back to their previous airline, but still flying 737s.

dehg5776,

With the current EBA allowing crews to bid for lifestyle positions, 2 Ejet Captains have moved to B777 FO positions for the lifestyle. There are also rumours of more Captains bidding for B777 and A330 FO positions. So there is more to life than having a command.

Oakape
27th Feb 2015, 01:09
So there is more to life than having a command.

Heresy! You will get lynched for that. :E

mcgrath50
27th Feb 2015, 04:39
With the current EBA allowing crews to bid for lifestyle positions, 2 Ejet Captains have moved to B777 FO positions for the lifestyle.

Can you still wear your captains bars? Because that's why we all got into this industry right? :E

Username here
8th Mar 2015, 05:22
Can anyone provide any guidance on how much allowances one could expect to take home per year? I've cruched my own numbers out of the EBA, but I'd be interested in hearing how close they are!

VHFRT
3rd May 2015, 01:47
Can anyone provide any guidance on how much allowances one could expect to take home per year? I've cruched my own numbers out of the EBA, but I'd be interested in hearing how close they are!

Good question. Any ideas? The base is turboprop territory however if the allowances are decent then it doesn't look so bad

amateur
23rd Nov 2016, 04:17
Anyone willing to PM me a typical roster?