PDA

View Full Version : AOPA (UK) - renew or not?

tmmorris
22nd Feb 2015, 17:12
Never quite sure whether to renew my AOPA UK membership or not. It's a pale imitation of its American cousing and I wonder what I get out of it.

Over the last 10+ years I must have given them £800+ (without working it out, but this year's renewal is £92).

Any thoughts?

soay
22nd Feb 2015, 19:10
Do you ever read their "General Aviation" magazine? The reports describing AOPA's mind numbing encounters with EASA are enough to persuade me to keep funding them by remaining a member.

JOE-FBS
22nd Feb 2015, 19:25
Seconded. Saved the IMCR for a start. The only way they'll get more power and influence like their American counterparts is money (to employ lobbyists) and numbers (to have claim influence in political and bureaucratic circles).
Anyway, the magazine is entertaining enough in itself. That accounts for a chunk of the subscription.

vanhigher
22nd Feb 2015, 19:55
Don't forget that you also get a 5% discount on fuel in Guernsey , worth keeping membership just for that if you go there a few times each year

fireflybob
22nd Feb 2015, 19:57
Support AOPA by maintaining membership - they lobby on our behalf and we need all the help we can get.

mrmum
22nd Feb 2015, 20:22
Me personally, yes I will be renewing my membership this year.
As has been said previously, much of the effort that has made EASA not as bad as it could have been is down to them. The transition is still ongoing, so they need our support. What they achieve benefits us all, it could have been so much worse, pay your subs and do your bit to help them keep working on our behalf.

BEagle
22nd Feb 2015, 20:52
The magazine is about to get a fresh new look, but will retain its previous high standard.

Regarding EASA, some 33 individual responses to NPA 2014-29(A) and (B) will shortly be lodged by AOPA (UK) / IAOPA (Europe). Including such proposals as getting rid of PPL exam 'sittings', gaining acceptance of flight time in 3-axis microlight aircraft towards SEP class rating revalidation, accepting that a 150nm Q X-C if flown as part of a LAPL course will be credited for a later PPL, getting rid of 'ATO assessment' for SEP/TMG renewal training prior to the proficiency check, restoring the '4:1' credit for instrument flight time / flight time under IFR towards FI/IRI instrument flying prerequisites, simplifying IRE requirements to include recognition for all previous IF instruction, clarifying certain regulations concerning the CbM IR...etc...etc.

Mach Jump
22nd Feb 2015, 21:42
Never quite sure whether to renew my AOPA UK membership or not.

Renew!

And if anyone reading this, with any stake in the continued existence of GA in the UK is not a member, join now!

Like 'em or not. they're the only game in town, and they can only do what we fund them to do.!

MJ:ok:

SidT
22nd Feb 2015, 23:36
+1 vote for renewing for all of the reasons above.

plus...

I hired an aircraft on holiday in Crete this year and flew to Santorini... being an AOPA member with a crew card got me a significant discount with Swiss Port at Santorini for handling/parking and meant a lot less paperwork too!

fatmanmedia
23rd Feb 2015, 01:01
I’ve made my 2 year renewal this week, we need someone to shout for our wants and needs and as said they are the only game in town that works.

Fats

A and C
23rd Feb 2015, 05:28
AOPA are engaged in a long with the unaccountable, unelected, and disproportionate overseeers of aircraft regulation within Europe.

This organisation is on a path to oppress those who want to fly small aircraft be deliberately strangelling us with totally disproportionate legislation intended to distroy light aviation by a thousand small cuts.

EASA charges three times as much as the UK CAA for a minor modification, to get an STC you have to open your Chequebook and just let then take as much as they want, they do this in the name of "safety" but the truth of the matter is these people would not know safety if it bit them on the bum, all they want is you out of the sky or confined to some small underpowered microlight that cany carry enough fuel to go anyplace.

To counter the very worst type of Fedralist Euopean imperialism we need the likes of AOPA to fight the GA corner, it will be a long war but it is vital that we support the likes of AOPA in this fight for the very existence of GA.

Johnm
23rd Feb 2015, 06:13
Definitely renew. AOPA have been instrumental in the massive change in attitude at CAA and at EASA and we owe them a great debt of gratitude for their work so far and we owe them support for the work still to come

S-Works
23rd Feb 2015, 07:45
AOPA are one of the greatest voices you have as a pilot. They do not blow their own horn enough but do not underestimate the sheer scale of the work that goes on in the background on behalf of us as pilots. A huge amount of it undertaken by volunteers.

Believe me without them aviation would be a much sorrier place and they need your funding to kep up the good work.

Amblikai
23rd Feb 2015, 08:31
Interestingly i can't access the AOPA website from my office. My company has blocked it!

Reason: Not allowed to browse this Malicious URL.

I think my company has them mixed up with EASA!

VictorGolf
23rd Feb 2015, 09:44
£92 probably represents one return Easyjet trip to Europe and when you look at Martin Robinson's diary he does a lot of them fighting our corner with EASA. So yes I think it's worth it.

chrisbl
23rd Feb 2015, 11:54
Never quite sure whether to renew my AOPA UK membership or not. It's a pale imitation of its American cousing and I wonder what I get out of it.

Over the last 10+ years I must have given them £800+ (without working it out, but this year's renewal is £92).

It may be a pale imitation of the US one but its the best we have. For a Brit the US AOPA is a waste of time and money unless you operate a lot in the US.

They get on my nerves a bit with their sanctimonious approach. US pilots are heavily subsidised by the Various US taxpayers from Federal, State, County and city level to a degree unheard of here.

The biggest con for a non US resident is the annual aircraft sweepstake where non US and Canadian members are specifically excluded from winning.

Having said all that pilot numbers are declining in the US like here despite the subsidies.

Some of the good stuff from US AOPA mainly from the Air Safety foundation is available on line anyway.

Mach Jump
23rd Feb 2015, 12:58
Some of the good stuff from US AOPA mainly from the Air Safety foundation is available on line anyway.

I can advise any UK pilot to seek out the work of the US AOPA Air Safety Foundation.

This is the kind of thing our own AOPA could be doing, if only they weren't, of necessity, almost totally concerned with the fight against malignant bureaucracy!

MJ:ok:

SpeedyGoneZales
15th Apr 2018, 17:30
Nearing my PPL skills test, I am wondering whether to join AOPA UK (www.aopa.co.uk - my school recommends it).
I'm expecting to do the majority of my flying outside the UK, and I am wondering whether AOPA UK would engage in any concerns / issues in foreign countries on my behalf, or whether I will end up with multiple memberships in each of the countries I fly in?

On a similar note, is there any advantage / disadvantage in trying to join the Royal Aeronautical Society (www.aerosociety.com) instead of / in addition to AOPA?
I'm very interested in a good number of their publications, and they do seem to work quite hard on promoting and fighting for General Aviation (see this article (www.aerosociety.com/news/uk-ga-sector-in-crisis/) for example).
Without having hands-on experience with either body, the RAS seems to offer a more interesting and rewarding membership than the AOPA UK.
I should perhaps add that I have no immediate plans to own an aircraft.

Thoughts?

TheOddOne
16th Apr 2018, 06:48
Welcome Speedy!

AOPA and RAeS are 2 very different organisations. When I worked at Heathrow back in the 70's I joined the branch of the RAeS and massively enjoyed the lectures they put on in the Tech Block A canteen, given by such people as Jeffrey Quill, Alex Henshaw and Valentina Tereskova (the first woman in space). I've also enjoyed using their premises in Hamilton Place, London for meetings. I haven't kept up my RAeS membership as it no longer seems relevant for my position, not being able to get to branch meetings etc.
I'm a current personal member of AOPA and our Flying Club is a corporate member. As had been said above a few years ago, AOPA has an effective path to the regulator and regularly works to improve our terms and conditions. Mind you, EVERY group in the UK from the LAA to AOPA, the GA Alliance to APPG etc make the same claim. There have been numerous attempts over the years to get all the different groups to join forces but there has always been too many disparate vested interests for it to work out.
If you can only afford one membership (like me) and you're flying an 'EASA' aircraft, then my vote is for AOPA. If you're going to be flying a 'permit' type like a Jodel etc, then you'll probably need to join the LAA.
Ask AOPA about reciprocal membership in other countries.

TOO

BoeingBoy
16th Apr 2018, 07:36
I have to raise a hand in support of AOPA UK. Not a lot of people know that they also have some clout with the CAA licencing department, so when you've finally exhausted all options and are about to file a formal complaint they can step in and try to resolve issues. They resolved a five week delay and a stand off over lost paperwork to less than forty eight hours when I had to change my JAR-OPS licence to an EASA one.

As stated above. When it comes to having a voice in the future of GA they are the only organisation looking out for all aspects of our operation. The LAA and others are fine for their corners but only AOPA can speak for all of British GA in Europe. I cannot believe that some people regard the membership cost to be prohibitive when it represents less than one hours flying in most GA types.

Remember that most professional pilots pay to be represented by one or other of the available organisations (BALPA, IPA or Honourable Company) so what's wrong with GA pilots doing the same.

SpeedyGoneZales
16th Apr 2018, 08:22
Many thanks BoeingBoy and TheOddOne in particular for sharing your experience regarding RAeS membership.
My concern really wasn't so much about cost, I just found that RAeS host many events etc that I am rather interested in, whereas the benefits of AOPA UK membership were less clear to me (I had mixed feedback also from the instructors at my school sadly).
Your responses make the situation clearer, and I will definitely contact them with respect to GA in the Americas.

Genghis the Engineer
16th Apr 2018, 08:28
I'm not an AOPA member; I think it does some good work, there are also aspects of the way it does business that don't gel well with me. Mostly however, there are only so many organisations I can afford to join.

Above all else however, I think that it's important that within the alphabet soup of British (or wherever you live) organisations we should all belong to at least one of the major representative organisations, as we very much need them - not least right now with the continuing and increasing over-complexity where we really need representatives to help get this all right on our behalf.

Me? I belong to BMAA, LAA and RAeS - there's little overlap between them, and they all represent significant parts of my interests.

I don't belong to HCAP as I simply don't have the time to do justice to it, AOPA as I see LAA and BMAA closer to my interests, RAeC as I don't do competition flying, BGA as I rarely fly gliders.

I do also belong to two international bodies that are aviation oriented and close to my professional interests, and the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, as it serves me professionally although I don't approve of everything about the way that does business either. Most years I agonise over whether or not to renew my IMechE membership and instead join HCAP, but as yet, I haven't.

Belong to something, don't try to belong to everything.

G