PDA

View Full Version : Job prospects in UK/Europe

QJB
22nd Feb 2015, 06:16
Hi,

I am considering moving to the UK with my girlfriend in the near future. I currently work as a charter pilot in Australia with roughly 1400 hours total time and 1200 command (although only about 50 hours multi-engine) and a multi-engine instrument rating with 2 renewals. I am looking at converting my ICAO license to EASA and have a fair idea of the steps involved. All my hours and qualifications have been completed in Australia, I have never flown in the UK/Europe but I do have a UK citizenship by birth.

I wonder if those in the know might shed some light on what sort of job prospects, if any, might be available to me upon completing my conversion? Also, do most jobs require a self funded type rating?

Thanks in advance for any information and advice.

truckflyer
22nd Feb 2015, 08:36
The first thing you should get out of the way even before you move are the 14 ATPL exams. As this will take you everything from 6 - 18 Months, depending on your circumstances.

There are jobs, but will be luck of the draw, and I would say 80% of the jobs would require some kind of "self-funding of the TR".

UK is not the best place for jobs, there will probably be more options around in Europe.

However you need to plan these things, and budget all, as the cost in time and money converting, will be significant.
I would have thought going somewhere in Asia, you would have better options getting a job then in Europe. And it would probably save you all the hassle of the conversion.

heading 125
23rd Feb 2015, 18:11
I personally say there is little chance of a job in the UK unless you have at least 500 hours on type ie A319/320 and B737. It know a lot of pilots still trying to get the first step on the ladder with little luck. Those getting the very few jobs are people who have trained at CTC and in their holding pool only. Europe is similar the Middle East is a much better bet

redsnail
24th Feb 2015, 09:38
Not wishing to rain on your parade but sadly, the UK and Europe won't be impressed with those hours, especially jet operators. :suspect:

Your best bet is to try the smaller turboprop operators in Scotland etc who might appreciate those hours.