PDA

View Full Version : IMC/IR(R) revalidation by a non-UK EASA examiner

BackPacker
21st Feb 2015, 11:30
I live in the Netherlands but hold a UK-issued EASA-PPL, and I did an IMC/IR(R) course & exam in the UK almost two years ago.

The time to revalidate both the basic PPL and the IMC/IR(R) is now coming near. The basic PPL is not the problem, but the CAA information notice IN-2015/009 specifies that "Only examiners who hold licences, ratings and certificates issued by the UK CAA may examine for the IMC Rating/IR(R)." (para 5.2, way at the end of the document below)

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2015009.pdf

At my club there is an EASA-FE with IR privileges willing to do my IMC checkride, but he doesn't hold a UK-issued EASA FE. Rather, it's issued by the Dutch authorities.

Does anyone know if the CAA has ever made exceptions to the rule that only CAA-issued FEs may examine for the IMC/IR(R)? And if so, how do I go about arranging that exception?

Mach Jump
21st Feb 2015, 11:57
Does anyone know if the CAA has ever made exceptions to the rule that only CAA-issued FEs may examine for the IMC/IR(R)? And if so, how do I go about arranging that exception?

I'm not aware of any exceptions being made in the past, but you can email the CAA Flight Crew Licensing department at [email protected] to ask the question. Don't expect a quick reply though!

MJ:ok:

BackPacker
21st Feb 2015, 12:03
Yeah, I know. When I did my JAR->EASA conversion their average response time was 40 days. The whole process took about four months from start to finish because of this. I hope PPRuNe is slightly faster...:ok:

Anyway, if the answer on here is positive I'll have to deal with them sooner or later. But if somebody on here can just give me an unequivocal NO, then I can save myself the trouble.

S-Works
21st Feb 2015, 12:06
The answer is NO. It is a UK only rating and may only be tested and revalidated by UK examiners with the approval to test for it.

There is a document on the CAA website that has just been released that details all of this and the new requirements for notifying the CAA of the test.

http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/33/InformationNotice2015009.pdf

Para 5.2

BackPacker
21st Feb 2015, 12:19
Okay, thanks.

Look I'll have to search for a friendly UK school that's easy to reach then, with an examiner who can help me out. Any suggestions?

I might even take a club aircraft, fly to the UK, do the revalidation and fly back. Maybe make it into a mini-break this summer.

S-Works
21st Feb 2015, 12:26
You can fly direct to me in about 90min in the average spam can. I would be happy to do it for you.

BackPacker
21st Feb 2015, 12:32
That sounds like a really nice idea. I've been wanting to meet you for a long time anyway.

Considering the current weather and my work schedule, and the fact that the expiration is only somewhere in the October timeframe, this would most likely be somewhere over the summer. Would that be OK for you?

S-Works
21st Feb 2015, 12:34
Sounds fine to me. Drop me a PM.

BackPacker
21st Feb 2015, 12:42
Will do by that time. Thanks again.