PDA

View Full Version : A change to CTC selection ?

Officer Kite
20th Feb 2015, 22:14
I've heard some people talk about failing the selection because of their aptitude but mentioning that they still got interviewed. Historically with CTC it has been that only those who pass the morning aptitude and group phase get interviewed in the afternoon. Has this now changed so that everyone gets an interview regardless ? I checked the ctc website but I'm not entirely sure what was there before so can't make out if there has been a change.

Thanks !

appfo09
21st Feb 2015, 08:01
I don't know about CTC but Oxford in the last couple of years is doing exactly the same thing !

PURPLE PITOT
21st Feb 2015, 08:58
If they don't fill the courses, they don't make so much money. Not rocket science is it!

QR1
21st Feb 2015, 09:26
From reading what the OP said, the guy still failed. Do not think ctc will lower the standard of candidate required as it will not happen and they have no need to. It has always been a case that only a fraction of those at selection days are successful and I couldn't imagine any change.

ManUtd1999
21st Feb 2015, 11:26
Anybody get the impression that CTC are struggling to fill places on the Wings scheme? Obviously their airline mentored schemes are still as popular as ever, but the amount of advertising for CTC Wings seems to have noticeably picked up in the last couple of months. Maybe it's just me paying more attention but maybe they are struggling a bit (that would be a shame......)

PURPLE PITOT
21st Feb 2015, 12:11
If you believe that a commercial organisation will not sell you their product because you are "unworthy", you are going to have a tough ride in this life.

Hopefully it's your own money, and not your parents pension/home.

average-punter
21st Feb 2015, 12:28
This is certainly the impression I'm getting. I think people have now realised there are more mentored schemes opening up and are waiting it out for one of them. CTC has responded by trying to mention at every available opportunity that people can join BA from their 'whitetail route'. Just a ploy to get more punters in through the door to part with their cash. It has happened recently, and happened in the SSP days but certainly not the norm.

Officer Kite
21st Feb 2015, 12:29
Purple Pilot, I am not as naive as you would think, personally I think you're being very naive however. CTC only have the airline connections they do because the airlines are very satisfied with the product they deliver, if CTC were to let every Tom, Dick and Harry in the door then do you think the end product would be as good ? Obviously not, the airlines will soon realise this and so look elsewhere to fill cadet places. Wannabe pilots will also realise CTC losing airline partners and so will obviously be less inclined to train with them, therefore CTC will lose out on a large amount of revenue (greater than what they will ever gain by letting any old sod in).

It is in CTC's best interest to have a high standard, they have also got that protection scheme which is a huge financial risk on their part.

I'm not sure what exposure you have had to CTC but speak to anyone who has attended a selection day with them and ask if they think they just want to "fill courses".
BA will only take non FPP cadets from the CTC Wings pool (not OAA nor FTE), that should say something.

Lastly, obviously as a business their sole aim is to fill courses and make money, but CTC will not do that at the expense of lowering applicant's quality.

Officer Kite
21st Feb 2015, 12:33
I was hoping not to get a thread drift !

If anyone can confirm or deny what the situation is with CTC selection it would be greatly appreciated.

PURPLE PITOT
21st Feb 2015, 12:55
I am very familiar with CTC and other ATO's. One thing you are correct about though, if after taking your money, you might be an embarrassment, your name won't go into the big hat!

RomeoEchoKiloTango
21st Feb 2015, 22:28
Yes. The selection day has changed but the requirements for a place on the Wings course are still the same. You still need to pass the maths test, aptitude test and interview.

You used to turn up and do the aptitude and maths test. If you failed either of those, then that was it. Your day ended at lunch time. However they provided detailed feedback and actively encouraged you to apply again if you almost met the grade.

Now however, if you fail either of the aptitude or maths tests then you still stay for the interview and don't find out your results for the selection day until the following day, with feedback covering all aspects of the day.

Their reasoning for this is because you've paid for the selection day they want to provide the best service to potential cadets. Hope that answers your question :ok:

Officer Kite
24th Feb 2015, 10:34
I thought IPP didn't require selection or it was really easy, because if you fail the "wings" selection they offer you IPP, poor deal considering you don't get into the hold pool (which is why so many people want to go to CTC).

I'm just glad selection has changed, it really was poor form to have people travel from far and wide to be sent home at lunch due to aptitude or group, without even interviewing them to see what potential they may have and giving more constructive feedback.