PDA

View Full Version : GA Perth to SEQLD

Stretch06
18th Feb 2015, 10:57
Hi all,

Looking at flying from Perth to Toowoomba. Aircraft is small GA, plane TAS130KIAS.

Looking for suggestions of good places to track to / stop at as I cross the centre of the country.

Any suggestions appreciated

Stretch

lethalw
18th Feb 2015, 12:06
Hey Stretch,

I've flown east west a few times, but never from here over to there.....but I guess the principles are the same, possibly better with the winds going to the east if you can get amongst it..!

First port of call would be Kalgoorlie.

From there, depending on your comfortable endurance, it's either north east thru Warburton to Ayres Rock to Alice. After that, I've never been past Alice.

Other option from Kal would be thru Forrest, Ceduna, Broken Hill, then come up towards your destination.... Probably a bit longer way, but potentially more places and services for fuel and accom etc....

I'm sure others have gone straight thru the guts and have some better info for you...!

RatsoreA
18th Feb 2015, 12:47
I did Kal, Forrest, Coober pedy, Leigh creek, Broken hill, Bourke, GC, and it was good. Stay at Forrest overnight, see the museum and everything. Very friendly, interesting and lots of history.

CB, no transport available into town, barely a fuel stop. Leigh creek, very scenic on the way in. Bourke, stay for free in the air conditioned terminal, it's not used as a terminal or for anything, really!

Have fun!

Fred Gassit
18th Feb 2015, 13:39
You might find a "straight" line is a bit south of the centre. I second the the comments about KG-Forrest-Ceduna. (If your range is short you can do Caiguna-Border Village)
Ive found Port Augusta and Port Pirie to both be convenient enroute to western NSW, card operated pumps etc. Get out of WA and suddenly AVGAS (options) seems to be everywhere...

Jabawocky
18th Feb 2015, 22:35
Esperance, along the coast :ok:
Next stop if you have the range is Nullabor Roadhouse, then maybe Ceduna if more coastal or up to Coober Pedy. Birdsville, Charleville TWB

If the Nullabor is too long in one hit there is Caiguna (check for fuel) and if you do Coober to Birdsville the Lake Eyre regions are all worth a look.

Have fun, take plenty of water and emergency gear, and you will have a great trip.

AbsoluteFokker
18th Feb 2015, 23:31
Beware of Caiguna immediately after rains. Had to divert to Esperance. Few other fuel options were available nearby.

Howard Hughes
19th Feb 2015, 00:37
Assuming you have around 5 hours endurance then you can go a fair way on each hop, the question is how good is your bladder? ;)

Jabawocky
19th Feb 2015, 09:59
Gatorade bottles HH :ok:

So far I have never had to use one. Maybe if I was your age…. :E

ForkTailedDrKiller
19th Feb 2015, 10:17
Watch out for the restricted areas around Coober Pedy! :O

Jabba almost ran in to trouble with those! :E

Squawk7700
19th Feb 2015, 10:23
Gatorade bottle Jabba? I use the full size drink bottle, like you would use on a bike. (For obvious reasons)

UnderneathTheRadar
19th Feb 2015, 10:55
I shouldn't admit this but I've had to use the 600ml coke bottle. Was getting very very nervous as it got very very close to full!

UTR

BEACH KING
19th Feb 2015, 11:21
I've done that trip a couple of times. I went Jandakot, Kalgoorlie, Forrest, Coober Pedy, Charleville, Toowoomba.
Depends on the wind, your endurance and the weather of course.

If you find some free time at Forrest.. head south to the bight and fly along the cliffs for a while. Still the most amazing scenery I have ever seen from an aircraft (the two female streekers one year at the Tooloombilla Rodeo whilst taxying rate a close second).

Horatio Leafblower
19th Feb 2015, 12:17
Fuggin big rocks on the strip at Border Village/Nullabor roadhouse. I recommend you go further inland if you can skip it.

Stretch06
19th Feb 2015, 22:03
Looking towards Kalgoorlie, Forrest, Ceduna, then still deciding on what sort of track to take for the rest of the trip.

Beach King, with no HF, was looking at doing the leg Forrest to Ceduna VFR and following the coast as others have also said that the bite is well worth the view.

Thanks for all the advice/ideas.

Jerr
20th Feb 2015, 02:49
Stretch

I really like stopping at Port Pirie. Cheaper avgas than other places. Nice club house with snacks, tea and coffee payable with an honesty box.

Just planning our club flyaway for August, Pt Cook upto Broome, via Forrest and back via Katherine, Alice Springs, and drop into the William Creek to visit junior JERR who is flying for Wrightsair.

Safe flying

Robin

Howard Hughes
20th Feb 2015, 05:32
Gatorade bottles HH
So far I have never had to use one.
Fits in a narrow neck then? ;)
Maybe if I was your age….
7.3 hours is my record! :}

Jabawocky
20th Feb 2015, 09:52
Jabba almost ran in to trouble with those!

Yeah yeah yeah…..if it was not for Jaba reading his notams the flight plan provided would have run us into one :}

Romeopapa
21st Feb 2015, 04:31
Ceduna and Port Augusta are nice :ok:

Kalgoorlie to Ceduna has to be one of the most boring flights over land in the world?