PDA

View Full Version : Helicopter Rock Clearing

Ancient Mariner
17th Feb 2015, 06:20
Apologies if this has been posted before, I just found it and thought it fascinating. Normal procedure anywhere else?
Per

afI58PRmTJ0

Pozidrive
19th Feb 2015, 12:53
I would hope not.

HillerBee
19th Feb 2015, 13:24
Interesting.

nigelh
19th Feb 2015, 15:30
This has been on before . Another very good use for a helicopter which is a :ok: I would like to see what shock loading comes back up the cable .

ShyTorque
19th Feb 2015, 16:40
That's Heli-conkers!

krypton_john
19th Feb 2015, 19:39
"This has been on before . Another very good use for a helicopter which is a I would like to see what shock loading comes back up the cable ."

The physicist in me says not much if the strike is at the very bottom of the arc... as the "shock" vector is horizontal but the cable can only transmit a vertical component.

But then again, physicists unlike engineers tend to assume stuff for mathematical convenience.

Peter-RB
20th Feb 2015, 14:00
NigelH,

In my warehouse we handled coils of steel up to 25000kilo(25t) whilst the overhead crane used a true crane required wire rope,.. the pick up was done with a continuous Nylon Sling wrapped in a sleeve like can be seen in the picture prior to the weight lifting off. Once weight is applied the thousands of nylon fibres each take part of the strain and allow such massif weights to be easily manouvered into storage or onto a cradle for transport, The sleeved lifting line seems to me to be one of this new type of lifting line fastened into a shackle point within the unique wrecking ball, the benefits of this type of line is unbelievable strength very light to handle, but very easy to handle by just a pair of gloved hands on connecting.

So if that is the case here, there will be no transfer of impact shock at all, only if the ball became caught and this allowed the line to become slack then the dropped weight would be FULL weight transferto heli.:ok:

Peter R-B

nigelh
20th Feb 2015, 14:14
Well sounds safe enough to me !! The more ingenious ways to use helicopters the better .

Bravo73
20th Feb 2015, 15:01
That's Heli-bonkers!

Pozidrive
20th Feb 2015, 15:49
Krypton John - I can imagine a lump of rock falling on top of the "wrecking ball" and putting a sudden downward load on the cable, which I guess would not be a good thing.

A sideways impact is also going to transmit a force to the helicopter. Try holding a pendulum yourself - anything on a bit of string will do.

I would be interested to know what the manufacturers think about this.