PDA

View Full Version : Avalon 2015

IFEZ
17th Feb 2015, 06:18
Anyone know why the F22 is only a static display at this years airshow..? Pretty disappointing considering it flew last time. Not sure why they bother even bringing them over if they're not going to fly.. :(

4forward8back
17th Feb 2015, 10:58
I read that the display pilot has been called away by 'operational requirements'.

These things happen unfortunately.

junior.VH-LFA
18th Feb 2015, 02:16
When people complain about militaries from a different country not being available to spend a few hundred thousand dollars on a display for you. They don't have to do the statics either. If you'd prefer not to see the Raptor at all, maybe you could not go to the show?

Mhmmmm, that sense of entitlement is strong.

And yes, the USAF display pilot is "otherwise engaged." I know, how dare he, right?

Rodney Rotorslap
18th Feb 2015, 03:21
Volunteers please form an orderly queue ...

Capn Bloggs
18th Feb 2015, 04:26
22, and it shows... :}

rutan around
18th Feb 2015, 04:27
And yes, the USAF display pilot is "otherwise engaged." Struth I hope ISIS doesn't read P-prune. Whatever will they think when they find out that the most powerful military-industrial complex in the world hasn't got one spare Raptor pilot to entertain the groveling downunder plebs who regularly spend gazillions of dollars on the latest and greatest US war toys.

Squawk7700
18th Feb 2015, 05:40
Seems Avalon is close to happening. Something low, fast, jet powered and noisy just flew past my position east of Melb. Didn't get a chance to see what it was. This must be a fun time of year for many pilots out there coming to the worlds most liveable city :ok:

junior.VH-LFA
18th Feb 2015, 08:52
So I'm assuming you'd like to pay the USAF's costs go train and certify another display pilot just for the Avalon airshow?

22 and has an opinion. How dare I.

The USAF is spending big money to bring hardware down, and not getting a cent in return. The ADF showcase is looking like it's going to be top notch, and the Blackknights are also making their debut. All in all, not a bad turn out of military hardware considering the economic climate and operational pressures currently present.

But there has always got to be something to complain about.

Galdom
19th Feb 2015, 22:59
I for one would be entertained just watching an F22 do a couple of touch and go's, tragic?

Fondly recalling the Triad exercises in 1984 (I think) watching F 15's returning from sorties doing buzz and breaks and often then into the circuit at NZWP

All good stuff!

PoppaJo
19th Feb 2015, 23:10
Bring us the A350 Airbus!

Mr.Buzzy
19th Feb 2015, 23:52
I'm looking forward to the first 30 minutes being taken up by acknowledgements, and smoky parachutists and gliders.
Please let's not do the "would the owner of a white holden parked illegally please come forward.." routine either.

Bbbbzzzzzzzzzz

bentleg
20th Feb 2015, 00:37
They need to change the commentator (who has been doing it for years) to someone who knows what they are talking about with 'planes.

The guy who does the commentary at Temora is the sort of guy they need.

Stanwell
20th Feb 2015, 00:58
What about Geoffrey Thomas - he's an "aviation expert". :E

rutan around
20th Feb 2015, 02:25
I think it's more entertaining when they don't know what they're talking about. A few years ago I attended an Airshow at Maroochy where the commentator had obviously had a few and all through a routine by a high wing twin sang the praises of the Britten- Island Normander.

Squawk7700
20th Feb 2015, 03:50
Looking forward to it! Something jet powered just flew over the CBD low and fast. Sounded identical to whatever flew over earlier in the week out east.

Mr.Buzzy
20th Feb 2015, 08:44
"Looking forward to it! Something jet powered just flew over the CBD low and fast. Sounded identical to whatever flew over earlier in the week out east."

Was it a Tiger A320?

Bbzbzbzbbzbzbzbzbzzzzzzz

cattletruck
20th Feb 2015, 09:01
Something militarily fast and sounding single engine-ish flew over town this afternoon. Unfortunately I didn't manage a Captain Cook at it.

Having spoken to many FJ jocks over the course of a few Avalon circuses, I found most of them were absolutely brilliant, warm, enthusiastic and helpful - except for the F-35 drivers who were complete nerds big time. I imagine a discourse with a F-22 driver would be much the same.

Shut up and fly bl@@dy thing.

ACMS
20th Feb 2015, 09:30
An F18 was in close formation with a C17 over Brighton at 1545 today on their media jolly around town. Looked good around 1,500' or so...

Andy_RR
20th Feb 2015, 09:59
Maybe we'll get a good UAV demonstration this year. Something more than a DJI Phantom rescued from the White House gardens...

Stanwell
20th Feb 2015, 13:14
Anything from the 'Eastern Bloc' likely to appear?
They seemed to be keen a few years back.

p.s. I understand Tu-95s sound pretty interesting - though can't say I've had the pleasure myself.

parabellum
21st Feb 2015, 03:56
Bit of a problem with Eastern bloc countries participating. They bring with them every one that isn't on a day off and expect full board and hotac throughout, then, when they leave, they fill up to the overflow with every free litre of fuel they can load. Bottom line, Australia can't afford them, money better spent elsewhere.

Centaurus
21st Feb 2015, 06:59
Something militarily fast and sounding single engine-ish flew over town this afternoon

Sounds like Vampire Mk 35 dual seat trainer. Nothing to see here:ok:

ACMS
21st Feb 2015, 09:13
I already told you what flew over bayside Melbourne at 1545 Friday.

An F18 and a C17 doing the media work.

Oh and how different does a single engine jet sound to a twin engine jet? I suppose you think you can hear the fans out of sync on a twin do you!!:D

Squawk7700
21st Feb 2015, 20:23
Whatever it is / was they don't have ADSB...

How to tell it's a single? It's all in the harmonics.

ACMS
21st Feb 2015, 22:18
Rubbish, with a jet like an F18 or F15 you cannot hear "harmonics" from out of sync fans...

If an F15 flew past with one shutdown you wouldn't tell at all.....

A PA31 Navajo yes, turbo Jet? No:mad:

And yes the C17 and F18 don't have ADSB that civilians can see..:D

Squawk7700
21st Feb 2015, 22:51
ACMS you should be a plane spotter; you seem suitably qualified for it.

Mr.Buzzy
22nd Feb 2015, 00:44
Can't wait to see you flogs with your aviators, scanners, patched jackets and big watches.

Bzbzbzbzbbzzzzzzz

ACMS
22nd Feb 2015, 03:10
Just because I fly em doesn't mean I don't occasionally watch em too :ok:

In fact I would spend a lot more time at the fence scanner in hand if my other half would let me!!

Sad but true....:{

( I wouldn't write down all the regos into a notebook like I've seen the Heathrow spotter do, that would be sad indeed )

gassed budgie
22nd Feb 2015, 03:46
Anyone know why the F22 is only a static display at this years airshow..? Pretty disappointing considering it flew last time. Not sure why they bother even bringing them over if they're not going to fly.

Really? The F-22 was the only reason why I was going! If its a no show, I'll be leaving the machine in the hangar and staying home.

ACMS
22nd Feb 2015, 04:06
2 will be on static display behind ropes and men with guns...:)

Capn Bloggs
22nd Feb 2015, 04:15
2 will be on static display behind ropes and men with guns...
They should have brought only one and flown it at the show... Or were they delivered in an Antonov??!! :}

Stanwell
22nd Feb 2015, 04:22
Buzzy,
I know what you mean about those types. :hmm:

ACMS,
I have to confess that I'll occasionally, on an interesting day (weather-wise) pop over to the airport, scanner on the dash, and tune in to the Tower frequencies.
There's much amusement to be had listening to the banter and watching some of the 'interesting' arrivals (usually Asian carriers).

Sometimes you'll even get a local saying "Watch this!"

All in all, a cheap couple of hours' entertainment.

ACMS
22nd Feb 2015, 05:41
Flying in from Elmendorf AK courtesy of a few KC-135's from Kadena ( ZZ )

No shortage of Raptors to fly here, only a shortage of display Pilots.......

If it was a state side Airshow you could bet he would be available.....:mad:

Capn Bloggs
22nd Feb 2015, 05:47
No shortage of Raptors to fly here, ony a shortage of display Pilots.......
You missed my sarcasm: if they flew two in, then there'd be two pilots here. If one got taken away for the other could fly, could he/she not; provided of course he/she [I]could do the display. Maybe the second is just a brown-bar effo... :)

ACMS
22nd Feb 2015, 05:50
Oh oky dokey, :ok:

Seems rather odd that for 5 years they only have 1 qualified display Pilot?

Surely even a "line" jockey could takeoff, fly a few circuits with a go around and a fly by? That would be better than nothing.......

They obviously don't care.......

Actually now I think about it.......why couldn't our very own RAAF exchange Pilot flying the Raptor in AK have been given the gig? Now that would have been special....damn

j3pipercub
22nd Feb 2015, 06:10
Speaking of 'those' types.

Mate of mine tells a story of a few Avalons ago. He had just converted to hawks and was in Ops flight. Was tasked with flying the hawk to Avalon for static display. This also involved the usual PR of standing with the jet and answering questions, flying the RAAF flag etc. Anyway, halfway through the day two chaps in flight suits aviators etc (full bottle, just no visible patches) roll up and start asking questions, which mate answers. As a professional courtesy he asks if they flew in. The answer why yes we did. He then asked what they flew in, answer was and I quote:

"The PA-28".

Mate also has a PPL, so replies with

"why do you need flight suits to drive a warrior?"

Apparently they had to be somewhere else quickly after that.

About the F-22s. If two have 'flown in' single pilot from the states, don't you think those two guys would be pretty stuffed?

j3

Captain Dart
22nd Feb 2015, 06:31
A bit harsh J3. I wear Nomex in any light aircraft I fly. They can catch fire probably better than any Hawk.

If it was me, I would have asked the Hawk pilot after his little bon mot two questions:

1. Had he ever seen an enemy combatant?

2. How many carrier landings did he have?

And if I was his CO, I would have ripped him a new one. What an idiotic thing to say to enthusiasts looking at your taxpayer funded jet.

I'll be at Avalon 2015, in a badgeless flying suit.

ACMS
22nd Feb 2015, 07:26
J3----if they've come from AK ( there are some TDY in Kadena ) they would fly AK to Japan then overnight. Japan to Kadena then overnight. Kadena to Avalon....

Around 2 to 9 hour flight times in company with rotating KC135's at all times.

Easy as.

Captain Dart
22nd Feb 2015, 07:58
Yes, I will be arriving in one of my single engined piston aircraft, a touche bigger than a Warrior, and it will be Avalon Main, for display. But you are a bit 'slow' on the other points. Actually, I was alluding to personal experience. See ya there!

P.S. You're not a 'fighter pilot', are you? Anyway, the weather forecast looks reasonable so far, so hopefully we will all enjoy the show despite ourselves.

j3pipercub
22nd Feb 2015, 08:36
ACMS,

That is still a lot of flying over a lot of time zones.

Dart,

Good for you, enjoy you nomex, I'm sure the ladies love it at the servo on the way home. Do you wear it in the car or in your house as they also catch fire??? Parachute too I hope.

Username,

I think that's Darts attempt at trying to tell you his willy is larger because 'one of his single engine aircraft' is on display. Consider yourself admonished.

PoppaJo
22nd Feb 2015, 09:27
Going to be nice and wet next weekend. Looks like were in for another Avalon mudfest...

Quantum of Solace
22nd Feb 2015, 09:32
The F22 Raptor stealth technology is so advanced that even on the display stand you will see 'nothing'. The aircraft is all but invisible in the air. Like our milk it will be Pastyoureyes before you see it .:)

HarleyD
22nd Feb 2015, 10:08
Golly Gosh, it took almost 3 pages before the aviation clothing nazis started their usual fanatical attacks on anyone without a fast jet wearing a zoombag.

They must have such an entertaining time spotting the spotters....

Who G A F what anyone wears. I personally think all those US servicemen ( and some women)!who wear thise stupid looking basin type haircuts, you know the ones with the sides and back all shaved but with a circular tuft on top. The exact opposite of my person haircut in fact. Maybe I'm just jealous.

So.... No white shirt sunnies and blue pants unless you fly an A350 or a C152. No nomex unless your are a fast jet pilot or a spotter. Who cares. It's a day out, have fun go naked, on second thoughts conditions apply for that one.

The C17 crew will all have their nomex on every day even for the static display, does that make them wannabes? They will even have lots of badges, does that make it worse or better? If you are standing beside a static hawk with your nomex on when you are not flying, does that qualify you to make smart arse comments about others? These questions and many others will come up a thousand times a year on pprune thank God. Plenty of shoulders here to carry huge chips on for no apparel reason. (Pun)

It will be easy to identify the REAL pilots attending, they will be wearing a flogged out Jim Beam cap, wrap around sunnies, no watch, jeans and a flanney shirt, there by ensuring they are not trying to look like any industry sector participant. they will be the ones looking like Bogans. Spot away...

I'm going just for S and G. I've been to Alaska and had raptors in proximity as a routine traffic event so don't need to see them again, Yawn.

Expect four seasons in one day, most days. Maybe those cyclones will stay away up North where they belong and we can have a few nice sunny mild days in a row down here.

HD

ACMS
22nd Feb 2015, 10:25
64% chance of showers on Sat with 1-5 mm rain and a top of 29c

All other days pretty good, that ain't a flood, actually might keep the dust settled nicely.

Now where's the problem?

parabellum
22nd Feb 2015, 10:39
J3----if they've come from AK ( there are some TDY in Kadena ) they would fly AK to Japan then overnight. Japan to Kadena then overnight. Kadena to Avalon....

Around 2 to 9 hour flight times in company with rotating KC135's at all times.

Easy as.

Well, not quite. Because of the classified nature of the F22 and F35 they have to follow specific, but not necessarily direct or obvious routes, its all about possible diversions etc.

gerry111
22nd Feb 2015, 14:03
That's entirely correct, parabellum.

So if the F22 or F35 don't appear at Avalon, it will be because of "operational requirements". Of course.

One reason that I don't bother adding Avalon to my flying calendar is simply this: It always over promises and under delivers.

Sunfish
22nd Feb 2015, 19:03
Planning to go on Friday since i have to be in Melbourne for a meeting and have a few other things to do as well.

I have no expectations of the show and thus hope to be pleasantly surprised..

Good for you, enjoy you nomex, I'm sure the ladies love it at the servo on the way home. Do you wear it in the car or in your house as they also catch fire??? Parachute too I hope.

I was going to wear Jeans and RMW boots, should I wear Nomex underwear on the outside and my ASIC to feel "special"???????:):}

Would this attract the chicks?

IFEZ
22nd Feb 2015, 21:03
Flying programme doesn't look much different to every other year, and still a bit peeved about the F22, but what the hell - I'll be there! Never get sick of seeing the military jets do their thing. And yes I'll admit I'm flying in with mates in a PA28! Not very impressive, I know, but there's no point hiring anything better when you're only coming over from YMMB, the $ don't stack up. Still beats the hell out of driving over (especially trying to get out of the carpark at the end of the day)!:eek:

mach1photography
23rd Feb 2015, 01:20
The Raptors are from the Hawaii ANG.

ACMS
23rd Feb 2015, 06:46
Well there you go, last time they were from Alaska...

Aloha :ok:

jas24zzk
23rd Feb 2015, 09:28
Taking a PA-28 in on sund'y

Thinking, Board shorts, Hawaiian sun shirt, $5 7-11 sunnies, the 8 day clock on the panel that was recently 'calibrated' Can't decide on footwear, QLD or VIC summer shoes.....

Laughs aside tho, was reviewing the AIP SUP for YAVE. Was nice to see they haven't changed it.... started on page 1 dreading that they were going to convert YAVE into a temporary Class D.

Nice to see they have left it alone...it works so well, and the guys in the tower ALWAYS do a magic job. :ok:

fujii
23rd Feb 2015, 10:41
YAVE currently not available due soft wet surface. Rain forecast for most days between now and Sunday.

The name is Porter
23rd Feb 2015, 10:59
Buzzy, where have you been?

Can't wait to see you flogs with your aviators, scanners, patched jackets and big watches.

Accurate summation buzz, as always. Actually, I resemble that summation a bit

Capn Bloggs
23rd Feb 2015, 12:32
ANG flying Raptors. Now there's a good deal! Where do I sign? :D

jas24zzk
24th Feb 2015, 09:19
YAVE currently not available due soft wet surface

Went on a search..possibly not a good one, but came up with no results, NOTAMS, ASDU website etc...

Link please :)

blackburn
24th Feb 2015, 09:58
Jas
Was NOTAMED as NAVBL due SWS till 0100 UTC today.

fujii
24th Feb 2015, 09:59
The YAVE SWS NOTAM was on NAIPS yesterday (Monday). Not there today. Just check before you go.

Old Akro
24th Feb 2015, 10:11
CASA are RAMP checking again. Spoke to a corporate chopper pilot in one of the chalets today who was checked.

After our offensive, bureaucratic, pedantic, bullying, arrogant RAMP check last time that took over 20 minutes and found no faults, I will not be flying in this year.

CASA achieved its objective. Safe skies are empty skies.

parabellum
24th Feb 2015, 11:14
So what do you suggest Old Akro, no checks at all, just let the whole system run itself? Maybe you found it "offensive, bureaucratic, pedantic, bullying, arrogant", because you had taken the trouble to make sure you complied so resented being checked anyway? What is your attitude when you are stopped for RBT and are stone cold sober? Part of the fees you pay to CASA go towards uncovering those owners/operators who can't be arsed to comply and they really do jeopardise your skies.

Hempy
24th Feb 2015, 12:10
As long as you aren't claiming that they're your tax dollars at work... :rolleyes:

sprocket check
24th Feb 2015, 15:10
First day of Avalon was brilliant, highly entertaining, enjoyable and positive. Lots of loud noises, bangs and buzzes.

Why TF would you not want to go if you are into aviation?

It's the best thing to see so many flying things in one place.

Fun all around where I was.

The name is Porter
24th Feb 2015, 21:01
I'm not sure I'm getting the point of the trade days? Or at least having displays on trade days? There were about 20 people watching Skip & Melissa yesterday arvo. A display would be a good distraction from the ho-hum of a conference I spose but the spectator numbers were a bit how do you say? Average.....

Squawk7700
24th Feb 2015, 21:59
Some consider the trade days as practice for the real Friday thru Sunday public shows.

My spies tell me that Donald Trumps 757 is on display. I didn't expect to see that there.

IFEZ
25th Feb 2015, 06:55
Heard similar reports to Old Akro's last time. Just wondering if anyone has copped a RAMP check yet this time around and if so, what was the FOI's 'attitude' like..? It'll be interesting to see if the directive has come from above to take a less aggressive/hard-line approach and adopt a more consultative/magnanimous approach instead. Although not directly related, unfortunately after seeing the performance of the new CASA DAS responding to Senator Fawcett's question on AAT/CVD result yesterday, I have a bad feeling I know the answer already :uhoh:. Best of luck to all flying in..! :ok:

Old Akro
25th Feb 2015, 07:36
Parabellum. There is a very large difference between politely asking for specfic document and laying the entire aircraft's manuals out along the wing and photographing many pages, then interrogating the pilot and a number of the passengers and taking over 20 minutes to do this.

Its all in the manner. One is a check done with respect to confirm you have everything sorted. the other is the Spanish inquisition going through fine detail in vigorous pursuit of fault then being surly when none is found.

I just don't need it. Instead I parked in the first couple of rows and had a very nice afternoon courtesy of the Victorian Govt in their chalet.

bentleg
25th Feb 2015, 09:12
There is a 757 on display, blue and White, VQ rego, attended by a couple Boeing people. No sign to say what it is or why it is there. No Trump signage or insignia on the aircraft.

Capt Fathom
25th Feb 2015, 11:19
There was an advert in last Friday's Australian with a VIP B757 for sale, and a reference to the Avalon Airshow!

Squawk7700
25th Feb 2015, 19:16
http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/pictures.jpg

Centaurus
26th Feb 2015, 00:09
The Princes Freeway is swarming with unmarked filth

Charming description - NOT:ugh:

The name is Porter
26th Feb 2015, 00:12
My deepest & sincerest apology - NOT :ugh:

(Good mate is Highway Patrol, he has a sense of humour)

ACMS
26th Feb 2015, 01:01
It's not Trumps, way too dirty to be his anyway.

Belongs to a mining company from Indo they say.

Not really a luxury interior but not really an airline one either....

Nice to see it sitting there.

Squawk7700
26th Feb 2015, 01:04
I don't believe you, I'm going to have to fly in there tomorrow and take a look for myself :ok: :cool:

4forward8back
26th Feb 2015, 01:17
The 757 is VQ-BTF :ok:

Squawk7700
26th Feb 2015, 02:16
Tony Fung's if I am to believe what I've read:

News & Views: Tony hasn't got Aquis yet but he does have a new toy a refurbished secondhand 757 (http://www.cairnsvideonews.com/2014/08/tony-hasnt-got-aquis-yet-but-he-does.html)

jas24zzk
26th Feb 2015, 09:56
Would have thought it had dried out by now.

Ah the memories of the Big wet... landing in a chog 6, and doing a dance to keep it straight, my mate following in a lance, laughing at me on numbers...I got the last laugh when it was his turn LOL

Biggles24
26th Feb 2015, 10:06
Ahoy, have heard a rumour as a pilot one is considered trade & can go in at 9am on a general admission ticket for the trade show & then stay to the end of the display. is this right? Am digging through the webpage trying to find the answer.
Cheers

triton140
26th Feb 2015, 10:09
So Avalon East shutdown at short notice this morning due to 'works'

Mate of mine was told by the best mate of the Townsville refueller that they forgot to take the fence down near the threshold :eek: ......

john_tullamarine
26th Feb 2015, 12:12
A display would be a good distraction from the ho-hum of a conference I spose

Unless one is actually interested in the presentations.

Hopefully careful timing will avoid too many noise distractions tomorrow ...

Still great to see the equipment strut its stuff, though ...

Squawk7700
26th Feb 2015, 20:07
Biggles, pilots with ASICs can go in on the trade days....

Register online, buy a ticket, pack your ASIC and you are good to go. There are no free trade tickets on Friday so that you can't get to the public show for free.

Sunfish
27th Feb 2015, 05:24
Went today. Kudos to RAAF flying display. As for the rest, even less to see than last time. Nothing to buy either. I could have been swayed to buy a gtr625 or a 225 from garmin if they has been interested in selling, but no.

CASA stand was busy serving free coffee, I didn't go near them purely out of fear although there are questions I want answered.

Waste of time unless you are a military onanist, plenty of them about in the afternoon.

Avalon is gradually dieing like the aviation sector in general.

cattletruck
27th Feb 2015, 08:35
As I usually do I went in on Thursday looking less at the billboard draw cards and more at something different from previous years. I found it in a little Bristol WWI fighter crated in from Peter Jackson's personal collection in NZ for Qantas's 100 centenary celebration. And even though it was a static display on the day it was a true work of restoration art. Thoroughly enjoyed that little gem up close and personal.

Other highlights I enjoyed on Thursday were
1) The new Cirrus LPJ.
2) Getting to sit inside the cockpit again of my all time favourite corporate jet the Dassault 7X.
3) Cracking some funny jokes with the support personnel of the G650 and YF22, even poking fun at the YF22 pilots who whizzed by in their golf cart.
4) Wearing the YF22 helmut and going for a Wonder Women ride at the Lockheed Martin corporate stand.
6) Having a dejavu moment inside an classic B212 fitted with steam gauges.
7) Learning a bit more about single pilot HEMS ops with an AW139.
8) Bumping into my favourite PA-28 VH-JIO again 20 years later.
9) Watching the freeform fun of the 2xZlins (I think) and 1xPitts aerobatic display which made me really jealous.

I reckon I had a great day. Many thanks to the organisers.

Squawk7700
27th Feb 2015, 09:40
I went to Avalon today, flying in via Avalon East as many others did too, some of which were Ppruners, however it must have been a different airshow to where Sunfish went.

There were Cirrus there, the Cessna TTX with it's 235 knot cruise, Foxbat, the new Brumby, the new Sling 2 and 4 from South Africa, Citabria?, Tecnams and lots more plus the large trade halls with lots of vendors not just military, plenty of people to talk to, some good SAAA displays and aircraft, RA-Aus tent, stacks of different aircraft from the Geelong Sports Aviators, a couple of RV10's and an RV12 and a Titan Mustang amongst many others.

The Geelong war reenactment group was excellent, with bucket loads of restored military Jeeps and hardware, a huge tent with the entire contents of the Nar Nar Goon military museum re-located for the first time ever just for this show.

All this on the ground and in the air a dozen WWI replica aircraft, bombing runs, the Black Knights and lots more.

PLENTY to look at.

$65.80 fairly well spent...

As for ramp checks, I was greeted with a brochure on plain english TAF decoding and a cardboard funnel compliments of CASA but no ramp check. The guys next to me in a commercial 182 got instantly ramped with flight plan being passed around the group of 6 CASA employees. I can see how it would be intimidating as although their intentions may have been good, being approached by 6 CASA flouro vests would be somewhat stressful.

ACMS
27th Feb 2015, 10:15
Had a fantastic day today at Avalon, it was best show I've seen and I've seen them all. Well done to my mates running it, first class job as usual. Even the family didn't complain too much!! Bonus:O

I particularly liked the 1 hour RAAF showcase.

The WW1 re-enactment was good too.

Left at 2000 after the F18 Classic display and beat all the traffic.......:ok:

Rotor Work
27th Feb 2015, 10:54
Great Airshow Today,
Best Fireworks I have ever seen,
Missed Connie, does anyone know why she is not there this show?
Gold Pass was great.
Food was just.
Transport was fantastic to & from the city
Looking forward to tomorrow
R W

Fred Gassit
27th Feb 2015, 11:19
4 positive posts in a row! Great stuff for this site, glad most of you are having a great time.

bluesky300
27th Feb 2015, 11:44
A fabulous show - the pair of Extras in formation was world class and perfection; the WWI display out of this world and the fast jets were as good as ever. The snap rolls to start Paul B's display were incredible and the immortals playing with fire were another standout. And I agree - the fireworks were the best display I have ever seen too; Sydney NYE included.

Jabawocky
27th Feb 2015, 19:54
Where's the photos?????

Some could not get away this year… :{

Sunfish
27th Feb 2015, 21:38
I actually went to the airshow to try and learn stuff, not just to Be entertained.

Ultralights
27th Feb 2015, 22:19
http://i568.photobucket.com/albums/ss124/ralphge/yoda-without-pics-this-thread-is-useless-BWVHSx_zpsf4c01222.jpg

Nibbles2310
28th Feb 2015, 03:33
Missed Connie, does anyone know why she is not there this show?

She's having a bit of work done on the engines last I heard.

TwoFiftyBelowTen
28th Feb 2015, 07:44
Nothing said about the A400M? Was it just static or did it show off?

bluesky300
28th Feb 2015, 08:03
http://i304.photobucket.com/albums/nn180/chrisward2/20150227_175153_zpsx7hvlznw.jpg (http://s304.photobucket.com/user/chrisward2/media/20150227_175153_zpsx7hvlznw.jpg.html)

PoppaJo
28th Feb 2015, 08:06
Get your Tie Downs out folks….

https://fbcdn-sphotos-c-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/11034165_1106476186029634_8704651122295119604_n.png?oh=1c86f e5723644cd83e87318317cff775&oe=55941330&__gda__=1431066895_78c8f1cc002fece208a6813c4ba428f4

Squawk7700
28th Feb 2015, 08:40
It wouldn't be Avalon airshow if it didn't have a significant meteorological event at some stage during the week.

Many of the trade exhibitors started roping off their stands at around 12pm Friday which was unfortunate. If you were serious you'd have to dress like 007 to get attention.

Romeopapa
28th Feb 2015, 08:41
One of my favourites shows but missing it this year:{

Squawk7700
28th Feb 2015, 08:59
130kmh damaging winds in the area. I'm not looking forward to hearing the damage reports.

wheels_down
28th Feb 2015, 09:10
Jetstar SYD-AVV circled Melbourne and went back to Sydney.

bentleg
28th Feb 2015, 09:14
Don't know where the 130 kph info came from.

Avalon wind obs peaked with a SW gust of 67 kph at 8.02 pm, still pretty strong! Took a bit of a hammering from 8 to 8.30 pm.

Squawk7700
28th Feb 2015, 09:17
130kmh winds were reported on Port Phillip Bay from the BOM.

aero junkie
28th Feb 2015, 09:18
With the rain forecasted overnight, how soon would a runway U/S NOTAM be released for YAVE if it were to close?

Squawk7700
28th Feb 2015, 09:23
It's quite warm here today, so unless it's got an inch in it I suspect it will dry fairly quickly.

Who knows is the $64,000 question. I doubt anyone will be redirected to Avalon main, however it has happened before.

sprocket check
28th Feb 2015, 15:15
I could have been swayed to buy a gtr625 or a 225 from garmin if they has been interested in selling, but no.

Might be your personality sunny. We've been exhibiting all week, had absolutely fabulous time, on every level. The vibe has been very positive and friendly, show well organised, so many aircraft and toys to look at my head is still spinning. Plenty to look at and plenty to buy (god knows I spent some). And we've sold plenty.

Access to some displays dependent on crew availability etc, so timing was of the essence occasionally, but this is so far one of the best aviation experiences in my books.

Some stands have closed on the public days as they don't have anything to say to the public. They are either defence contractors that can't or they are public servants that don't want to, I suppose.

Seeing the Neptune fly! Wow! The Supers, the aeros displays were outstanding all week, just gotta find that tridecker for a closer look...

RAAF pins and badges are a hit!

On trade days we were being constantly treated to fantastic displays and congrats to all involved in putting the show together, from every perspective. A definite winner.

just my 2 sc

Squawk7700
28th Feb 2015, 19:59
Quote:
I could have been swayed to buy a gtr625 or a 225 from garmin if they has been interested in selling, but no.

Were Garmin even actually selling direct to the public in the trade hall? I know for a fact that you could not buy an engine from the Lycoming stand in the trade hall. I seem to recall you may have made a somewhat similar comment 2 years ago after the last Avalon.

Sunfish
28th Feb 2015, 20:21
Squawk, I bought my Bose headset at Avalon about Six years ago. My point is that as an educational and perhaps buying experience for a GA person, Avalon is a waste of time.

…As entertainment for military onanists, cloud bunnies, aerosexuals and small children its excellent.

bluesky300
28th Feb 2015, 20:40
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q566/bluesky3001/20150227_175200_zps4m9y3omi.jpg

bluesky300
28th Feb 2015, 20:41
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q566/bluesky3001/20150227_171134_zpsro8hsxy2.jpg

bluesky300
28th Feb 2015, 20:42
http://i1164.photobucket.com/albums/q566/bluesky3001/20150227_175153_zps2ifs0hjv.jpg

bluesky300
28th Feb 2015, 21:06
Best I can do for photos. I don't think I fit any of sunfish's categories, but I loved it.

Squawk7700
1st Mar 2015, 01:09
Some dramas at Avalon East, more to follow !

Squawk7700
1st Mar 2015, 02:11
An aircraft (Cherokee) has lost it's wheel on takeoff and is (allegedly) refusing to leave the airspace as they want to land at Avalon East. Aircraft are currently circling and can't land as an emergency plan is enacted. Apparently he has 4 hours remaining.

BPA
1st Mar 2015, 03:17
What, can't theybland a few miles up the road at Point Cook, the outcome will be the same no matter where they land.

rjtjrt
1st Mar 2015, 03:21
My guess is they want the full fire and rescue facilities that are active today at Avalon, rather than the more austere arrangements at Pt Cook, or YMMB.

Squawk7700
1st Mar 2015, 03:22
Haven't heard what happened but it has landed. Hopefully the runway isn't closed for long as everyone will be stuck there otherwise and the charter operators won't be able to get in ...

parabellum
1st Mar 2015, 03:29
Just announced on Magic 1278 radio that the Cherokee had to circle to dump fuel! Love it! :)

Sunfish - Did you contact Garmin before the show? Possibly not only been able to order you piece of kit but also got a free lunch in the chalet and a front seat for the display. As a serious buyer you may also have got an invite to the show, including a gate pass, from Garmin.

TOUCH-AND-GO
1st Mar 2015, 08:06
Round of applause for all the people involved in running the Avalon air show. Great display by all aircraft! Especially enjoyed the air display by the F-16 black nights. Managed to get into Avalon main. Photos to follow..

T&G :ok:

HarleyD
1st Mar 2015, 08:50
Congrats to all involved with organizing and running Australia's premier aviation event. ATC was a bit hows your father, not as good as when run by 'the team' who could make things flow, but within the formal constraints it went as well as could be expected.

I had a great time and I could have bought discounted almost anything if i was bothered to make the effort as show specials abounded.

Fair do that the main expo hall was largely abandoned midday friday at teh end of the trade event, but there were stands manned until at least midday sunday when i departed. Its a tough week for exhibitors as 7 consecutive days will wear you down. Not sure when some here did 7 straight and were still smiling at the bitter end. SF maybe not even smiling on first day?

Another awesome event!

HD

HarleyD
1st Mar 2015, 09:47
In addition to above I would like to thank all those who said hi and made the effort to catch up.. It's a marvellous event to see friends from times past as many make the effort to take the opportunity to attend this event in particular for this purpose.

To: Steve, mick, the AGO team, trev, rod, Rex and Melissa, trappo, gene, douggie, doug, billy, bob, hitch, Wendy and Stewart, juanita, Adrian, Oliver, Joseph, don, julian, Graeme, John, Greg, bill,Dave, Colin, Jacques, zac and all the guys at FTSA, matt and Sharon, Paul, Greg, Adam, Richard, Fernando, the cirrus team ( you guys rock see you at OSH), all the MAF pilots and support people, the numerous AAFC staff (ex AIRTC/ATC), and the many many others who stopped by to say hi, thanks so much it was awesome! See you another 2 years if not sooner.

TO Shanti,Dan, Jaco, Jon, marguerite, Graeme, Ross who made life fun for another week, despite the relentless grind thanks again, we'll do it all again in 2017

HD

Old Akro
1st Mar 2015, 21:27
Hi Sunni, I half agree!

Went today. Kudos to RAAF flying display. As for the rest, even less to see than last time. Nothing to buy either. I could have been swayed to buy a gtr625 or a 225 from garmin if they has been interested in selling, but no.

I'm a serious buyer for a GTN, new TXP and a G600. Played with the gear, entered my previous day's flight plan. Tried the Garmin iPad app. But got the same attitude from the Garmin rep. I'm a LOT less likely to buy Garmin after visiting the stand. Got a lot more sense out of the AvPlan stand where there were a lot of senior people accessible, including Bevan.

CASA stand was busy serving free coffee, I didn't go near them purely out of fear although there are questions I want answered.

I was going to go to the CASA stand - especially since they have made a cock-up of my Pt 61 licence - until I saw the personnel list for the stand. All junior communications staff. Saw Mark Skidmore wandering around the front of Hall 1 (no where near the CASA stand) all alone looking friendless.

Waste of time unless you are a military onanist, plenty of them about in the afternoon.

Avalon is gradually dieing like the aviation sector in general.

Avalon is primarily a military airshow. It has peaks & troughs depending on the Dept of Defense buying cycle. If you look at all the meeting rooms, conference rooms and Chalets, they were all full on the trade days and not many of the people were watching airshow acts. They were doing business.

However. it is disappointing that it no longer engages with the civil aviation community. There used to be display booths by various sport aviation clubs and historic and sport aviation displays - all of which seem to be gone now.

A common thread talking to some senior people associated with the airshow is that each year, CASA makes it harder for the organisers.

And what is the fascination with blowing stuff up along the runway?? Surely there is one F-111 somewhere that can still do a dump & burn??

I was there only for the trade days, but my single greatest annoyance is that nothing seemed to happen in the published order or within 2 hours of the published time.

aero junkie
1st Mar 2015, 22:10
With the rain forecasted overnight, how soon would a runway U/S NOTAM be released for YAVE if it were to close?

Guess I can answer my own question. Checked the notams twice, once before leaving home, and again prior to engine start at 0830 (no closure). Enroute I got the YAVE ATIS only to hear is was closed. Managed to squeeze into Avalon main with no dramas, although there were a number of A/C behind me caught out by the non exist NOTAM and subsequently couldn't get a clearance into Avalon main :(

Sundays flying programme was a little over the place, the WW1 stuff didn't fly due the the winds, which for a lot of people would have been a disappointment.

As always so much to see and do not enough time.

BD1959
1st Mar 2015, 22:35
Lack of NOTAMS also caught me. Planned at 6:15am. Picked up mate, arrived airfield and - due to SNAFU with booking - delayed. Heard that a company had been denied YAVE due closed and had been allowed YMAV. Dumped mate in car and arrived 12:15pm.

That's two Gold Passes whose first 2hrs completely wasted (oh, but I got to use the "free car-park" component!!). Lesson learnt, won't buy in advance in future.

Regards,

BD

The name is Porter
1st Mar 2015, 23:50
The ADF display was excellent :ok: a massive congratulations to those who organised it and flew it, jumped it etc. The King Air formation was excellent :ok: it was something I haven't seen at any airshow around the world, that's what you want!

The rest of it????? I'm not getting the point, in particular, displaying aircraft that are roped off and you can't look at inside. Sunnie's & Akro's posts are valid, why friggin exhibit if you are not going to sell????? Maybe Australian's are like that? Couldn't give a ****? I reckon if Garmin head office got wind of the way 'business' was done in Australia they'd scrap it and start again.

Squawk7700
2nd Mar 2015, 00:04
Guess I can answer my own question. Checked the notams twice, once before leaving home, and again prior to engine start at 0830 (no closure). Enroute I got the YAVE ATIS only to hear is was closed. Managed to squeeze into Avalon main with no dramas, although there were a number of A/C behind me caught out by the non exist NOTAM and subsequently couldn't get a clearance into Avalon main

Was there even a NOTAM service for YAVE? It said "no Notam's available for this location" or was it lumped in with Avalon main?

The same thing has happened a number of times before on previous years where you don't know until you get there and of course getting into Avalon main is ok unless you're commercial and you want to head back and pick up your next load again. Fat chance.

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2015, 01:48
What happened to the WW1 stuff on Sunday? Grass area too muddy or other factors?

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2015, 01:56
Heard about Lindsay Fox showing up to buy a PC-24 and the Swiss sales team not knowing who he was didn't pay any attention to him. Big mistake

I don't blame them though. How many people in Australia would know who he is? He was probably there in his cardigan and oil stained overalls!
Hope he got a discount!

TOUCH-AND-GO
2nd Mar 2015, 02:06
What happened to the WW1 stuff on Sunday? Grass area too muddy or other factors?

Grass runways weren't suitable as they were damp. Also the wind was quite strong on Sunday for the war birds.

P.s a lot of individuals weren't really happy with the background noise during air displays. Anyone else felt irritated ?..

Awol57
2nd Mar 2015, 02:10
The grass runways were deemed unserviceable by Avalon airport staff and the WW1 guys decided that they wouldn't fly at all if they couldn't launch everything.

There was a NOTAM issued for AVE but it was a bit delayed getting out as the airstrip had to be inspected after first light then the safety officer had to get back to main and his office to issue the NOTAM. I imagine it was a YMMM NOTAM.

Some GA was squeezed into main but arrivals has to be stopped prior to the air display commencing.

Old Akro
2nd Mar 2015, 02:26
Heard about Lindsay Fox showing up to buy a PC-24 and the Swiss sales team not knowing who he was didn't pay any attention to him. Big mistake

With Lindsay's closeness to Bombardier? Not a likely sale. And I guarantee that Rob Oliver knows exactly who Lindsay Fox is. The Aussie Pilatus operation is very good.

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2015, 02:29
P.s a lot of individuals weren't really happy with the background noise during air displays. Anyone else felt irritated ?..

It was a bit loud. Not to say Jet aircraft are not loud, but at least that's something I want to hear.
What was with the Classic Hornet display commentary? The narrative was very USAF centric. Plus the guy on Friday sounded like an Aussie putting on an American accent? Not sure if it was the same guy on the mike Sunday but he put away the American accent.

Fris B. Fairing
2nd Mar 2015, 03:04
Surely there is one F-111 somewhere that can still do a dump & burn??

Sadly there isn't.

TBM-Legend
2nd Mar 2015, 04:24
There are US exchange officers with the RAAF as well as some Canuck cross-overs to the RAAF. Nothing new in this!

Buster Hyman
2nd Mar 2015, 04:52
I was there on Sunday & I didn't think it detracted from the rest of the show. I thought the commentary was sometimes more irritating...(Asking the Female RAAF Officer about being in the rear seat of an F111 for example!) To be honest, until I realised it was the WW1 re-enactments, I thought it was the bird scarers! :}

The Kingairs were excellent, Roulettes were up to their usual standard, but I thought the ADF show was the highlight. Especially seeing the C17 getting thrown around...BEFORE the Bushmaster was unloaded!!! :D

aero junkie
2nd Mar 2015, 05:28
Was there even a NOTAM service for YAVE? It said "no Notam's available for this location" or was it lumped in with Avalon main?

Anything to do with YAVE was lumped with Avalon main

CaptainMidnight
2nd Mar 2015, 05:32
Because Avalon East is just a temporary bulldozed strip on the Avalon AD, any info on it is NOTAMed as YMAV Avalon.

AD NOTAMs don't just cover the movement area of an AD; they cover anything else on and in the vicinity impacting aviation.

Somewhere in the SUP it mentioned NOTAMs would be issued as YMAV.

IFEZ
2nd Mar 2015, 09:05
Went both days on weekend. Thankfully the bureau got it wrong on Saturday, with no sign of 30kt northerly. Flew in and out with no dramas (other than the condition of YAVE -is it just me or was it even rougher than last time?). Planned to fly in again Sunday but had a feeling the o'night rain was going to be a problem. Was just about to head off when Notam came through, so we drove over. Huge crowd on Sunday. Traffic heading home reinforced why its better to fly!! Enjoyed both days with plenty of highlights especially Black Nights (commentary was hilarious), Wolf Pitts, Roulettes, ADF showcase and solo Globemaster & Classic Hornet displays. Lowlight - Otto the Schweizer. Could cut that display time in half and maybe show it in the morning session. Was disappointing the weather prevented the WW1 display on the Sunday as it was terrific on the Saturday. Anyone catch the choreographed preflight performance of the F16 ground crew?? In summary, great weekend of aviation. Big thumbs up to the organisers and participants.

BD1959
2nd Mar 2015, 09:57
So a scan of the Area Briefing for "YAVE" would find the entries under YMAV..?

Found all references to the Sup etc, that's all. I must have been up too early!

Regards,

BD

IFEZ
2nd Mar 2015, 10:14
BD, all Notams relating to YAVE were under Avalon entry after Sups. Notam closing YAVE hit the airwaves about 8.30 local. Initially it said closed all day, but it was changed to single runway open (and shortened to 710m) sometime after 11.00am. All too late by then.

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2015, 10:54
owvCWvpufaY

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2015, 20:22
Hercs in Action

9Y36CkkVApQ

Critical Reynolds No
2nd Mar 2015, 20:23
Super Hornets
xZHl7W3zeec

BD1959
3rd Mar 2015, 00:35
Thanks IFEZ.

Regards,

BD

Squawk7700
5th Mar 2015, 01:55
The volunteers looked to be having fun at Avalon East.

Check the 30 second mark of this video :ok:

anHmD1pDkVE

Squawk7700
5th Mar 2015, 01:58
Not being a B52 expert, did they pivot the undercarriage for this landing do you think?

D5KdbFG8_BQ

Runaway Gun
5th Mar 2015, 06:13
I believe the B52 has to touch down level, and that the gear 'crabs' as required.

Squawk7700
5th Mar 2015, 06:53
That's correct, it crabs the undercarriage, however my question is does it actually do that in this video? You don't get many opportunities to see this kind of set-up in the world.

Critical Reynolds No
5th Mar 2015, 20:46
It is crabbed in this video. The pilot selects the desired angle before landing:
https://books.google.com.au/books?id=8UL7AwAAQBAJ&pg=SA1-PA325&lpg=SA1-PA325&dq=b-52+crab+angle+compensation&source=bl&ots=X2pVzmOwik&sig=rT9wwJ30YtXSqeHoQJkk-aIZLbI&hl=en&sa=X&ei=0834VNjQAYP5mAWF-YGoAQ&ved=0CC8Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=b-52%20crab%20angle%20compensation&f=false

MFB 2
6th Mar 2015, 03:59
I will try to post a few photos. Not good quality, resized and only JPEG's. Haven't had time to edit the raw files.
MB
http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mickblake/media/Avalon%202015/MBB_0933_zpsliewyrrt.jpg.htmlhttp://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_0933_zpsliewyrrt.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8896_zpszajbb3tu.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8897_zpsps6tbyib.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8895_zpsjyyku5fh.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8890_zpsoowfy1cq.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_6338_zpsxwgvi23n.jpg

[IMG]http://www.pprune.org/<a href=http://s173.photobucket.com/user/mickblake/media/Avalon%202015/MBB_0933_zpsliewyrrt.jpg.html target=_blank>http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_0933_zpsliewyrrt.jpg

pistnbroke_again
6th Mar 2015, 04:15
The volunteers looked to be having fun at Avalon East.

Check the 30 second mark of this video

That guy saying every little thing he does would drive you crazy

MFB 2
6th Mar 2015, 04:18
A few more F18's.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8853_zpswshukk1q.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8854_zpsfwcvjw6p.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8870_zpscpp7ucrf.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8873_zpsw9yvkjnu.jpg
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_8874_zpstvugzjel.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_7266_zpsflfnxire.jpg

MFB 2
6th Mar 2015, 04:23
I only saw the firebombers display on the Tuesday. The herc was going to do a display on Sunday but it was cancelled.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5913_zps38o58s2u.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5918_zpscziiuykv.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5993_zpsdhzww05y.jpg

MFB 2
6th Mar 2015, 04:26
And the RJ85A.
http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5928_zpstm4iwzrs.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5933_zpsdmhvoq1g.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5938_zpsvkt2qa70.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5948_zpscloettop.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5966_zpstohkkdxa.jpg

http://i173.photobucket.com/albums/w64/mickblake/Avalon%202015/MBB_5997_zpsicvhkqek.jpg