PDA

View Full Version : Foreign Registered A/C in Aus

Ixixly
14th Feb 2015, 01:34
Hey all,

Quick question, according to the AIP any Foreign Registered Aircraft that is Registered in a Contracting State doesn't require Permission to Enter, Transit or Depart so long as it's a Private Flight, but I have heard from others that CASA told them they still needed Special Flight Permission. Has anyone had any dealings with this sort of thing recently? Can't call CASA at the moment as it's the weekend so figured I'd see what people have to say here.

I'll be ferrying an Aircraft that is already in Australia and has been Foreign Registered, we have the Special Flight Permission from the other country so as to make it Airworthy for the purposes of this flight and I have a CPL from Here and There which are both current and have a few hundred hours on type as well if that makes any difference. Cheers in advance for any advice!

Rodney Rotorslap
14th Feb 2015, 01:52
One of Clive's MD-82s?

swh
14th Feb 2015, 02:20
we have the Special Flight Permission from the other country so as to make it Airworthy for the purposes of this flight

I am guessing you have that for an overweight takeoff.

You will not need a special flight permit, that is for VH registered aircraft. You will need a special flight authorisation under CAR 1988 135A which allows operation of a foreign registered aircraft in Australia that is operating on a special flight permit or a special certificate of airworthiness issued by a National Airworthiness Authority (NAA).

Ixixly
14th Feb 2015, 07:12
The Special Flight Authorisation is because the aircraft doesn't have a valid CofA due to outstanding Maintenance, but the Aircraft itself has been checked out as Airworthy for the purposes of just little old me taking the risk of a Ferry Flight!

Thanks for the Reference SWH, not sure how I missed this, must be me misinterpreting AIP Gen 1.8, my by reading 1.8.2 says that an aircraft from a contracting state is able to come and go as they please so long as it's a Private Flight.

Basically we need a letter from CASA saying they recognise the Special Flight Authorisation from our own which covers the lack of a CofA, hopefully they won't take long on that!

And No, it's not one of Clives MD82s :ok:

swh
14th Feb 2015, 07:57
Make sure the insurer is provided the documents before the trip starts, and get a "no objection" from them for the flight without a valid CofA.

My experience is they will want a one off higher risk premium for the ferry flight, and your normal policy is suspended for the period of the ferry.

Ixixly
14th Feb 2015, 11:59
Thanks again SWH, that side is all sorted thankfully, one of the easier parts actually.

4 Holer
14th Feb 2015, 14:25
GOOD LUCK with the Brain Surgeons...........................