PDA

View Full Version : CAA relaxes IFR instrument requirements

ETOPS
13th Feb 2015, 15:04
As per the title here's a link to the article..

CAA relaxes IFR instrument requirements (http://ukga.com/news/view?contentId=34973)

I think I might have my stupid head on today but I'm not certain I've understood this at all. Any takers for a practical explanation?

Mach Jump
13th Feb 2015, 15:25
I think it means just what it says. If you have an IFR approved primary, and secondary means of navigating through CAS, then you don't need to have VOR,DME, or ADF, just for the purpose of navigation, unless the route specifically requires one, or more of these.

I think that in practice any serious IFR flight in CAS will still need to carry all of these, as some combination of them will be specified for almost all Instrument Approach Procedures you may have to carry out.

Where I think this may be most useful, though, is if you only have an EnRoute IR.

MJ:ok:

Johnm
15th Feb 2015, 13:08
Just flown to and from Alderney with RNAV approaches both ends. Didn't use anything but GPS, only bothered to tune the GUR VOR to get the ATIS, never even looked at the ADF or the DME. IFR in CAS to go, but didn't fancy being messed about by London on the way back and the ranges were closed, so came back VFR on top.