PDA

View Full Version : CAA letter requesting personal medical data

Jumbo Driver
11th Feb 2015, 13:54
There is a thread on Private Flying (here (http://www.pprune.org/private-flying/556118-caa-medical-records-lost-so-being-audited.html)) about a rather strange letter which has been sent out recently by CAA Medical Head, Dr S Mitchell.

It is headed "Reference: Audit of Medical History and Certification" and starts by saying "Following a recent audit, it has come to our attention that our medical records system may not hold complete data on a number of our certificated pilots."

The letter goes on to ask for a copy of the current medical certificate held, together with a medical declaration (including full history) on form MED160. It further requests current fitness state and asks for details of any change in fitness state since the last medical was granted.

It encloses a pre-paid 1st class reply envelope and ends by saying "If you are unable to comply with this request please notify us as soon as possible, as we need to complete this exercise as soon as possible in order to maintain your current fit assessment." This last sentence could well sound to some like a veiled threat.

The thread drift on Private Flying seems to be that only pilots with medicals through one AME (wisely not named) may have received the letter. Furthermore, it is highly likely that not only PPL holders will have been affected. In any case, it seems to me there is more than meets the eye here.

I wonder, have any commercial licence holders received a similar letter and/or does anyone know what is really behind the letter?

By the way, I strongly believe it would not be helpful to post names on this forum, especially regarding AMEs.:)

helimutt
13th Feb 2015, 19:54
that wording screams out 'scam' to me. I'd send nothing before calling and asking the CAA or my AME directly if it's legitimate.

GBEBZ
14th Feb 2015, 11:35
It is legitimate.

See the other threads - and the one at flyer.co.uk

I have provided a copy of the letter, a copy of the email reply from "the AME" and a copy of the email response from the CAA..

None of which are acceptable to me :-(