PDA

View Full Version : Tornado ZE732. Who was found

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 09:05
On June the 15th 1998 Tornado ZE732 crashed into the sea 20 miles off Flambrough head. The aircraft had been on a routine training flight with two other Tornados when it vanished from radar screens and plunged into the north sea. The pilot was Michael Vivian, aged 33, of Cheshire, and navigator Flight Lieutenant Derek Stuart Lacey, also 33, of Altrincham, Cheshire. All reports say that one body was found but after searching I cannot find out if this was the Pilot or the Navigator. I wonder if anyone reading this may be able to help.
Regards Paul

Firestreak
10th Feb 2015, 10:19
I'm sorry but raking up old accidents is not in the best taste and can be distressing for family and friends, suggest you drop this.

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 11:03
Well all I can say is that I am sorry for any distress caused. The information is out there. But no name is given for the person found.
Paul

London Eye
10th Feb 2015, 11:12
Paulilf,

PM sent, I suggest you may wish to delete this thread once you have read it.

Regards,

LE

rugmuncher
10th Feb 2015, 11:28
Paulilf,

Google before posting next time.

Saves upsetting people.

ASN Aircraft accident 15-JUN-1998 Panavia Tornado F3 ZE732 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55408)

RIP fellas.

Martin the Martian
10th Feb 2015, 12:26
I'm sorry, but isn't this over the top? Raking up old accidents happens a lot on this forum, and I notice there is currently a thread running concerning the fatal Buccaneer crash at Red Flag. To say nothing of all the times fatal incidents are brought up in the course of other threads.

Please tell me why this is different. Just a straightforward question, that's all.

London Eye
10th Feb 2015, 12:49
Martin, I knew both of them well and find it slightly distasteful to discuss here what is a particularly upsetting part of the events of the time, the recovery of Bill and Des after the tragic events, which many of us lived through in real time. I hope my reaction wasn't over the top, I have sent a polite pm to the op and asked him here to close the thread. I really hope that he does.

LE

Fg Off Bloggs
10th Feb 2015, 13:58
As the original poster of the 'Buccaneer' thread I see a distinct difference between my thread and this one!

Please tell me why this is different. Just a straightforward question, that's all.
My thread was intended as an 'In Memoriam' to two aircrew that lost their lives tragically in 1980 - indeed, it seems to have been seen as such from a comment thereon by the daughter of one of those killed.

This thread has a distinctly different and abrupt tone about it that smacks of idle curiosity at best or, at worst, voyeurism! Had the OP, perhaps, explained why he wished to know then maybe some tolerance might have been shown towards him! The title alone of the OP's post is, in my opinion, in very bad taste!

Bloggs

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 14:15
Ok thanks for the link, I had already been on that link though. I fact I have probably read all of the links that you are able to post. Im not in the habit of upsetting people. If you read what I asked. I said I could find no reference to who it was that was found [meaning Pilot or Navigator] Only one body...sorry if the use of that word upsets was ever found. Paul

rugmuncher
10th Feb 2015, 14:21
Paulilf.

Click the link TODAY.

It looks like it has been recently updated.

Chill fella !

Tashengurt
10th Feb 2015, 14:46
Problem is Paulif, you've been down this route before and therefore know it's emotive and upsetting for some so your protests of innocence are somewhat hollow.

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 14:51
Not sure if my question is worded wrong, I understand it has upset people and for that I am very sorry. But I am not sure how else to ask without actually asking. To make the point one more time, yes all off the links posted say what happened to the aircrew. But what they do not say is who the person was that they found in the search. I do not know how to make that any clearer. It is fact that only one person was found. All I was asking was who it was. End of. Regards Paul.

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 14:57
To Quote
Problem is Paulif, you've been down this route before and therefore know it's emotive and upsetting for some so your protests of innocence are somewhat hollow.

I am not sure I am protesting my innocence, and the road you are referring to is obviously ZA610 so I suggest anyone wanting to know how I worded things in that thread should read it. I have asked a question, nothing more.

rugmuncher
10th Feb 2015, 15:03
Paulilf !!

FFS, click on the friggin link will you, the names are there for you.

ASN Aircraft accident 15-JUN-1998 Panavia Tornado F3 ZE732 (http://aviation-safety.net/wikibase/wiki.php?id=55408)

Narrative:
Disappeared from radar while working with two other Tornados and an AWACS over the North Sea. Following an extended search the wreckage was discovered during a sonar search by an 819 NAS Sea King HAS6 approximately 30 miles off Flamborough Head, East Yorkshire. The crew did not eject and were both killed

Crew later named as (pilot) Squadron Leader #### and (navigator) Flight Lieutenant ####

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 15:14
I have read the link thanks, and if you read my first message you will see I already know the names..Thats not what I asked.

rugmuncher
10th Feb 2015, 15:18
Are you a wind up ???

Crew later named as (pilot) Squadron Leader #### and (navigator) Flight Lieutenant ####

Now **** orf !

BruisedCrab
10th Feb 2015, 15:23
I understand what you are asking Paul. I also understand that the manner of your asking, and subsequent postings, was crass and insensitive on a forum populated by friends of the crew. Have a measure of respect - these aren't just factual details to be researched by blunt questioning, they are memories of friends lost doing what many of us did and your approach is frankly insulting.

Maybe next time you have a question, explain why you want the information and ask it in a sensitive manner.

paulilf
10th Feb 2015, 15:28
Am I a wind, are you. whats hard about what I am asking. What part do you not understand. Why are you so nasty about what I have asked. Did you actually know that on one person was ever found? all I was asking was who that person was. Spitting out the names of the men as though that is the answere is not what I asked.

Heathrow Harry
10th Feb 2015, 15:29
I can't see why the reaction - all he asked was for some information

He didn't slag anyone off, he didn't come up with some half-assed conspiracy theory, he didn't even blame the airframe

We regularly get posts remembering various accidents and the brave service personnel who died and no-one objects to them

rugmuncher
10th Feb 2015, 15:38
He also edited his original post to change WHAT he was asking.

Sorry for flashing Paulilf.

I'm out for the rest of the week !

Rugz.