PDA

View Full Version : ADF Navy pilots...Fast jets?!

lightningstriker
10th Feb 2015, 08:20
Hey all I am a wannabe pilot with a question. While I am in the selection process to be an ADF pilot, I want to know if anyone has any experience or heard of Navy pilots being stolen by the RAAF at completion of 2fts to become fast jet pilots? Since the RAAF is always short of them (fast jet pilots) and the fact that they do the same training up to wings standard before RAAF pilots start fast jet conversion training. Thought I'd throw it out there as I'd be interested to know for my preferences into the forces.

Thanks everyone,

Die hard wannabe!

Minnie Burner
10th Feb 2015, 09:24
It doesn't happen. Oh, hang on:
Profile: Australian Defence Force Chief Air Marshal Mark Binskin - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-04-04/adf-chief-air-marshal-mark-binskin-profile/5366986)

OK4Wire
10th Feb 2015, 10:01
Binnie wasn't stolen. He (and others) joined the light blue after the A4s were sold to the Kiwis.

ol-mate
10th Feb 2015, 10:22
There has been one quite recently, service transfer was required though.

Skymong
10th Feb 2015, 13:22
Yes; if you perform well enough at 2 FTS chances are you will get an offer for jets.

dat581
10th Feb 2015, 19:10
I think the story was in Australian Aviation a year or two ago. A Navy midshipman was dux of the flight training course and was offered fast jets.

dostum
11th Feb 2015, 07:11
It happens all the time. Much to the Navy's chagrin. Really strong Army students have also been offered fast jet.

lightningstriker
11th Feb 2015, 07:29
Thanks for the replies everyone :) Handy to know!

dat581
11th Feb 2015, 09:18
With the off chance the Navy will one day have fast jets again that may change.

Nock187
11th Feb 2015, 09:36
Tell a funny story during my final stage RAAF pilot/ADFA interviews many, many years ago now (although didn't end up making the cut in the end).

One-on-one as young and green candidate in interview with a WGCDR where he is quizzing me on defence general knowledge. "So, tell me why Australia doesn't operate any aircraft carriers?" he asks.

Well, being an honest type and not having terribly great diplomatic skills when you're 16 I said, "Ummm, because we can't afford them and we crashed the last one?"

*Stony-faced pause*

"No." is the curt reply I get. "It's because Australia's defence policy is to maintain defensive forces, and an aircraft carrier is an offensive force.......and you should try not to shoot from the hip with your responses!"

"Yes Sir" I said embarrassed, at least having some sense not to labour the argument with a senior officer :)

junior.VH-LFA
11th Feb 2015, 20:27
Really strong Army students have also been offered fast jet.

No they haven't. Army doesn't go to 2FTS, and their skills are never assesed by RAAF to the level required to offer a chance at the pointy jets.

To answer the original question, yes, quite a few have been. Recently though comitting to jet conversion post 2FTS for RAN members has resulted in an immediate service transfer, as opposed to members remaining as RAN till later after conversion. If you take a run at jets, don't expect to go back to Albatross to fly rotary.

MachTwoPlus
11th Feb 2015, 22:04
No they haven't. Army doesn't go to 2FTS, and their skills are never assesed by RAAF to the level required to offer a chance at the pointy jets.

There has been at least one Army Aviator offered RAAF FJ. This was a very specific case however that came about from Army Kiowa pilots getting Hawk 127 training prior to introduction of ARH. At least one pilot became an instructor at 2FTS and was sent on Intro Fighter Course (IFC) after successfully service transfering to RAAF.

Recently though comitting to jet conversion post 2FTS for RAN members has resulted in an immediate service transfer, as opposed to members remaining as RAN till later after conversion. If you take a run at jets, don't expect to go back to Albatross to fly rotary.

This was not the case when I completed my RAAF pilot training several years ago, but things do change. The wheel is likely to turn again with the Navy bringing Romeos into service. They are toying with the idea of letting RAAF pilots fly Navy for 5 years on loan to fill the expected shortage of pilots with the introduction of new type. I think you would be welcomed back to Navy if you scrubbed out of RAAF FJ training.

chopper2004
11th Feb 2015, 22:18
F-35 strike fighters for the Canberra-class? | Australian Naval Institute (http://navalinstitute.com.au/f-35-strike-fighters-from-the-canberra-class/)

Cheers

ryano
12th Feb 2015, 08:52
Quite recently, an ADFA/RMC-D graduate duxed his Army class at BFTS, Tamworth. He went to 2FTS and Hawks, all while wearing green. Unfortunately he didn't make the cut and he went back to Army Aviation, where he's done very well. An unusual case indeed, but recent proof it can and does happen.

To answer the OP's question - anything can happen if you perform exceptionally well enough and Service needs are there. Past instances are definitely not indicators that it will happen again in the future. In its most simplistic form, your best bet is: If you want FJ, go RAAF. If you want RW, go RAN or Army.

junior.VH-LFA
12th Feb 2015, 21:21
This was not the case when I completed my RAAF pilot training several years ago, but things do change

It has been like that for at least the last 12 months. The service transfer process doesn't take long either. :E

I echo ryano's comment, almost anything can happen when the need is there, but best bet is to join the respective service that has the platform you want to fly, and work your arse off.

13Beast
8th Aug 2017, 21:24
Apologies for resurrecting a dead thread, but I am curious as to if you are lucky enough to get selected for FJ conversion (after completing 2FTS), yet scrub out at some point, are you then transferred over and either assigned an opportunity to pursue conversion on a different airframe (having already successfully achieved your 2FTS wings)?

SpazSinbad
8th Aug 2017, 21:52
Attached PDF page is from mid 2010 NAVY NEWS (link does not work now) about a Navy Pilot going to RAAF Hornets. He has gone from LEUT to FltLt in the process. As for somehow being sure of your place in the RAAF after 'scrubbing out of FJ conversion' all I can say from my experience some 45 years ago now in the RAN FAA as a jet pilot is that "watchit fella". Several 'RAN Dux of RAAF Pilot Course' were scrubbed from A4G OFS and then they exited the RAN completely. ONLY fish head LEUTs qualifying to fly aircraft went back to the fish head world if they failed an RAN aircraft Operational Flying School - not relevant now I guess.

13Beast
8th Aug 2017, 22:19
Attached PDF page is from mid 2010 NAVY NEWS (link does not work now) about a Navy Pilot going to RAAF Hornets. He has gone from LEUT to FltLt in the process. As for somehow being sure of your place in the RAAF after 'scrubbing out of FJ conversion' all I can say from my experience some 45 years ago now in the RAN FAA as a jet pilot is that "watchit fella". Several 'RAN Dux of RAAF Pilot Course' were scrubbed from A4G OFS and then they exited the RAN completely. ONLY fish head LEUTs qualifying to fly aircraft went back to the fish head world if they failed an RAN aircraft Operational Flying School - not relevant now I guess.

Great link! Thanks for that.

I guess my question should be a bit more general; i.e. if you successfully attain your wings after 2FTS, and then move onto conversion to a particular airframe, yet 'scrub out' or don't quite make the grade during that particular conversion process, is it back to the drawing board and they assign you to a different airframe? Or is it a case of having now 'missed the boat', and being relegated to a non-flying or alternate position (assuming what made you scrub out during conversion was NOT something disciplinary, and not something precluding you from continuing as a pilot in the ADF).

Just curious if people get given a chance on other airframes after having gotten their wings but perhaps having met difficulties on conversion training following that.