PDA

View Full Version : A320 One Engine Taxi - Engine Fire Protection

Gallinazo
8th Feb 2015, 16:39
Hello all,

Please forgive my (possible) misinterpretation or lack of understanding, first off.

Regarding the A320 OE Taxi, there is a comment in FCOM Supplementary procedures that goes like this;

Apply normal "AFTER START" procedures, but:
- Keep APU running to supply engine fire extinguishing, avoid electrical transients and allow the galley operation.
I can quite understand the second and third "reasons", but I do not get the engine fire extinguishing bit at all. There is no further qualification that I can see in the FCTM, either, on this subject. Looking at the FCOM electrical supply for Fire Protection, I get;

Engine fire loops on DC2 & DC ESS. Engine squibs on HOT 1, HOT 2 & DC2. Far as I know, these buses are available with Engine 1 started and the APU or APU GEN - OFF, and therefore fire extinguishing is supplied to both engines, anyway, regardless of APU.

Can anyone please state exactly what the APU is supplying to the engine fire extinguishing?

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been covered before, but I found no current threads which included it.

NigelOnDraft
8th Feb 2015, 16:59
Taxiing on Eng 1, Eng 2 & APU shutdown.

Eng 1 catches Fire and is shut down.

Do you still have the busses you state above for Fire Extinguishing?

Just a guess...

mcdhu
8th Feb 2015, 17:02
On battery power, only shot 1 will fire.

Gallinazo
8th Feb 2015, 17:10
OK, thanks. Makes sense, and gives me at least a couple of other things to revise with that in mind.

screwdriver
8th Feb 2015, 22:55
Bleed air supply for cranking engine if it has an internal engine fire?

Gas Bags
9th Feb 2015, 00:10
MCDHU has it. Engine bottle 1 squib A is powered by DC hot bus 1, and squib B is powered by DC hot bus 2. Engine bottle 2 has both squib A and B powered by DC bus 2. When down to battery power only DC bus 2 is lost so you can't fire either squib on engine bottle 2 if you need to.

LEVEL600
9th Feb 2015, 16:23
Apologize, but power supply for engine squib not suplied from hot battery bus looks for me very unusual, even if for bottle No.2 only…but airbus surprise me each day :)

vilas
10th Feb 2015, 15:08
I think screwdriver is correct. If engine 1 has to be shutdown and has internal fire you need bleed source to crank.

Bubi352
13th Feb 2015, 00:01
Is there any chance someone can pm a copy of the reference page document? Thank you in advance.

Apply normal "AFTER START" procedures, but:
- Keep APU running to supply engine fire extinguishing, avoid electrical transients and allow the galley operation.

BM2
2nd May 2018, 00:55
Sorry to bring this old thread up, but I was having the same doubt and ended up here. And I came to the conclusion that the problem here is electrical distribution (as some guys mentioned earlier) rather than having a bleed source to ventilate the engine.

The SOP After start proceedures are different for the A320 NEO and CEO. The note Keep the APU running to supply engine fire extinguishing is only for the CEO models.

So having a look at the ELEC EMER CONFIG SYS REMAINING on both QRHs it is possible to note that:
For the CEO models on “batteries only” configuration, only the number 1 squib remains available for ENG 1.
For the NEO models both ENG1 squibs remain available in batteries only config.

So that’s it. Regarding fire protection you should keep the APU running when taxiing single-engine so you can have both squibs available in case of ENG 1 FIRE on the CEO planes.

pineteam
2nd May 2018, 03:10
For the CEO models on “batteries only” configuration, only the number 1 squib remains available for ENG 1.

Thank you for the updates.
Interesting thread, until today I did not really understand the reason behind it.
Could you confirm that bottle 1 ( squib 1) is available for both engines on battery only for the CEO models?

BM2
2nd May 2018, 19:21
Affirm. When on batteries only you have Bottle 1 available for both engines on the CEO models.

alexh1987
5th May 2018, 10:58
Affirm. When on batteries only you have Bottle 1 available for both engines on the CEO models.

But there are also some new CEO aircraft where both bottles are available on batteries only. I heard it‘s an option you can buy or refit.

BM2
7th May 2018, 01:25
But there are also some new CEO aircraft where both bottles are available on batteries only. I heard it‘s an option you can buy or refit.

Nice to know that!

J.L.Seagull
7th May 2018, 03:10
Absolutely! The Airbus term for this mod is SETWA. Single Engine Taxi Without APU.

During the Emergency Evacuation drill, pre-mod aircraft will only have only one squib light illuminated once all Fire p/b's are pushed.

SETWA aircraft will have both squib lights on.

This is an interesting gotcha for us, as all our aircraft are modified, but our Sims aren't! Pet question from our TRIs!

Its Maui
7th May 2018, 22:18
Seagull, any chance you have a reference for that or a document?

Thanks

Dualinput
10th May 2018, 04:54
Seagull is correct...SETWA (single engine taxi without apu) is available from Airbus....

pineteam
10th May 2018, 05:12

Thank you.:)

Seagull, any chance you have a reference for that or a document?

Thanks

https://services.airbus.com/upgrade/environment/fuel-efficiency/single-engine-taxi-without-apu