PDA

View Full Version : Tyabb

Alloverit
4th Feb 2015, 08:33
Flew into Tyabb today, seems that the taxi ways, lights, new hangars, are all on a STOP WORK, spoke to an instructor in the office and was told that the $1,000,000 handout from the government was withdrawn after it was discovered there was a conflict of interests,could be very costly for the members.

OZBUSDRIVER
6th Feb 2015, 22:27
Ouch!

Would that be state government money for development of regional aerodromes under MLA Riche-Phillips?

Aussie Bob
6th Feb 2015, 22:42
Alloverit, it would indeed appear that you are all over it.

Squawk7700
7th Feb 2015, 05:07
VH-VDD

OZBUSDRIVER
7th Feb 2015, 06:16
Suss!

So.... according to some, Tyabb should miss out because the former minister is a club member and aircraft owner?

And the pecuniary benefit obtain by said former minister is...?

Squawk7700
7th Feb 2015, 06:39
Exactly correct OZ !

His tyres might last longer on the fresh concrete.. That would be about it.

le Pingouin
7th Feb 2015, 13:33
He would get the benefit of the new facilities that may have gone to some other aerodrome. Conflict of interest is about any benefit, not just pecuniary.

TBM-Legend
7th Feb 2015, 19:11
What about the benefit to all the others at Tyabb? Representatives are supposed to support their local constituents. Pollies vote or promote lots of things that they will use personally like roads/bridges and heaven forbid airports..

Squawk7700
7th Feb 2015, 19:44
It's disappointing as he rarely flies from there anyway. It would have to be Labours fault. It was cleared up early on regarding conflict of interest under Liberal.

kaz3g
8th Feb 2015, 00:59
Our former Minister did a fantastic job promoting GA in every way but i have to express my surprise that he did not step aside and arrange for one of his Cabinet colleagues to have carriage of the Tyabb decision.

I'm sure it would have stood on the strength of its submissions and been granted but politics is a raw game and you need to be seen as acting impartially as well as doing it in fact.

Very unfortunate and I hope an independent review will confirm the decision.

Kaz

le Pingouin
8th Feb 2015, 02:23
But what about the benefit to the users of some other aerodrome that may have received the money instead? They've potentially been dudded as well. Regardless of whether he had influence over the decision, direct or otherwise, he was foolish not to step aside - appearances count in politics.

muddergoose
8th Feb 2015, 04:43
ABC interview:

Listen to the radio interview located on the page link below.

Victorian Minister Gordon Rich-Phillips defends million-dollar grant to private aero club - ABC News (Australian Broadcasting Corporation) (http://www.abc.net.au/news/2014-10-08/minister-defends-million-dollar-grant-to-aero-club/5797840)

This is a pathetic and disgraceful attempt on behalf of the ABC to do its bit to help the labor party. This is demonstrated by the interviewer extracting the type of aircraft used by the former minister then editing in a grab from the promotion of the G36. It is contrived blown out sensationalism. :yuk:

Squawk7700
8th Feb 2015, 06:25
Seems strange that they would have stopped work when they were well into it. Who paid for the work that has already been completed? The main apron has all been re-done and that wouldn't have got much change from a couple of hundred k.

Sunfish
9th Feb 2015, 19:11
You will find that the new Victorian Labor Government has put the brakes on every project and administrative decision of the previous Government, and I do mean everything.

The Tyabb grant, the Point Nepean lease and the East/West link are just the tip of the iceberg.

I know of one sporting club that has spent Ten years of planning, design and negotiation time over new facilities, had it recommended to the Minister by the bureaucrats, had the liberal Minister sign off on it …..and now, all of a sudden, the final procedural steps (a "mere formality" they were told) won't be taken as the bureaucrats have apparently changed their position at their new masters whim. There goes $20 million in investment, Ten years of work by the club and about 40 jobs as well.

The site they operate from will probably now become a centre for Lesbian interpretive dance or be sold to a property developer mate.

6wingbolts
10th Feb 2015, 10:40
The grant was not withdrawn, not even for one second, work is still proceeding

6wingbolts
10th Feb 2015, 10:43
He did step aside even before the application , it was handled by another section ,all above board

kaz3g
11th Feb 2015, 09:36
Good news, then!

Old Akro
12th Feb 2015, 22:02
I have it from Government circles that when the fuss blew up that the then Premier Napthine froze ALL payments from the Regional Aviation Fund. Then the election came before it was opened again.

Now post election, the public servants that were dealing with the Regional Aviation Fund have been re-deployed to other departments. At the moment there is no-one with responsibility for the programme. The Regional Aviation Fund has not even been allocated to a minister in the new Andrews government.

So, it is all in limbo, with no payments being processed.

airspace alpha
13th Feb 2015, 05:27
Agree with Old Akro- although I have no knowledge of what's happening at Tyabb. I had a grant application in for fuel facilities at another regional airport and it just sat within the department. After the election all or most staff redeployed and we were officially told the Regional Airports Fund was on hold until further notice. There is a meeting of the Airports Association during Avalon airshow where the government will give an update, so if its not a state secret I'll advise the outcome.

And just to reconfirm what's been said. Gordon R-P achieved more real development of regional airport facilities in Victoria, and with a relatively tiny amount of money, than any politician in recent memory.

Xray Tango
15th Feb 2015, 06:19
So, the works proceeding, great news, but as Old Akro said, has the government actually handed over any cash, rumor has it the clubs using all the cash from the sale of the training fleet to fund the works ? If so then that's a pity, the previous committee and management worked very hard to own and operate the fleet of " club owned " aircraft, seems the current financial wizz just sells off the clubs assets that were so important to the infustructure of that club.

HarleyD
15th Feb 2015, 08:23
GRP, achievement, hahahahaha. Met him and discussed issues, brick wall. No real understanding of aviation priorities. Ppl with no real background. It was really unrealistic to expect true industry support. Nice try but no cigar.

Good luck to the Tyabb crew, I hope it all cones together, this airport really deserves support.

Regardless of the colour of the government, this area is an important regional aviation resources and should be upgraded to meet demand for sub metro requirements.

HD

Squawk7700
22nd Feb 2015, 09:26
It was looking to be going well today!

http://members.iinet.net.au/~bc_j400/tyabbrunway.jpg

kaz3g
22nd Feb 2015, 10:17
Is the grass on the west side still usable or have the drainage works messed it up?

Kaz

gerry111
22nd Feb 2015, 14:23
That's rather encouraging to see a vibrant GA community.:ok:

OZBUSDRIVER
22nd Feb 2015, 20:17
That image doesn't show the taxiway works from the apron up to the 01 holding point is now "boxed out" almost ready for surfacing.

FoolCorsePich
23rd Feb 2015, 03:30
35R looks nice.

Al E. Vator
23rd Feb 2015, 04:59
Dash 8/ATR services to satisfy the massive SE Melbourne market??

Critical Reynolds No
25th Feb 2015, 22:40
Where am I going to sit for the next airshow?

Alloverit
13th Mar 2015, 09:28
Just chatting at ymmb today to a Tyabb commitee member who mentioned that they still hadn't received any CASH, was also mentioned that any un authorised works commenced without written authorisation was in breach of the payment guidelines,,I noticed in a previous post that someone from Tyabb jumped on here saying how good it all was, also noticed was the NO REPLY as to the "no cash received" question asked ?
So once again, despite all assurances, has there been any payment made from the government fund to the club ???

Sunfish
13th Mar 2015, 20:44
Latest advice about the State Government which might throw some light on the Tyabb situation is that the Treasury has kicked every Department in the backside over their spending and revenues.

For example, Parks Victoria has been told to extract much more rent from all its clients. I would guess similar strictures apply to grants, etc.

Old Akro
13th Mar 2015, 23:42
A bit like Sunfish, I hear that the Andrews Govt wants to return as much unspent money as possible from the Regional Aviation Fund to General Revenue.

I hear that some but not necessarily all previously approved applications will be funded, but then its all over.

Maybe they need as much money as they can get to pay the cancellation fee for the East-West link. The construction companies & project managers may be amenable to getting other work in lieu. But 2 of the partners in the East West Consortium are overseas financial institutions and they just want the money.

airspace alpha
16th Mar 2015, 05:45
I did say I would get back with an update after the Avalon airshow. There is good news and bad news. Well, only one bit of good news really. With almost nobody left in Vic government looking after aviation at least the lady now tasked with this within the Department of Business and Innovation actually understands aviation and is a commercial pilot.

The bad news: nobody fronted up at the Airports Association meeting so we are no further forward there. As far as the Regional Aviation Fund goes I would concur with what is posted above- those applications currently approved should (may) get the funding. And it’s even possible a couple already lodged but not approved will get something. But either way the government is looking to get every possible cent back to fund other commitments. Again I can’t comment on Tyabb because I don’t have any information.

And aviation is a long, long, long way down the governments list of ThingsWeMustGetDone. Melbourne airport rail link- good luck. Avalon airport railhead or other assistance, unlikely in the extreme. But grade separation for urban level crossings- now you’re talking.

6wingbolts
16th Mar 2015, 22:53
;)CASH you mean cash? does a little man in a grey pin strip suit, a green eye shade and a Gladstone bag rock up with folding stuff? nup haven't seen any CASH, but the cheque,s are on time and welcome, your concern is comforting, thanks, I will keep an eye out for the man in the grey suit.

Alloverit
22nd Mar 2015, 10:34
Great the hear that the money's flowing freely, it's a great airport, look forward to the works and development completion. Such a friendly aero club.