PDA

View Full Version : Textbooks or Study Areas for Aspiring Fighter Pilots

alec taylor
4th Feb 2015, 04:44
Hey All,

Long story short, my dream is to become a fighter pilot. I'm on the brink of joining the RAAF in a couple of months and in order to be prepared for pilots course have been doing plenty of study.

I have read several novels regarding fighter combat and fighter pilots. Have studied and passed all my commercial theory exams, studied Basic Gas Turbine, fighter combat tactics and manoeuvring aswell as aerodynamics for naval aviators. Furthermore I have read through the flight manuals of the aircraft I am hoping to fly.

If anyone could mention any noteworthy textbooks or areas of study not previously mentioned, that would be immensely appreciated.

Thanks, Alec

charliegolf
4th Feb 2015, 08:29
Alec,

I think the main thrust of advice you're likely get won't cite books and theory at all. Rather, be clear about what the RAAF is about, it's philosophy, it's sphere of ops, the variety of roles and aircraft etc. Further, you will need to impress with your knowledge of current world affairs generally, but specifically how they might touch on Oz's world views and aspirations. Do you know the various political parties' views on defence? What's your view on their view? Novels are of limited use for all this, I'd say, and if you get in, it'll be a good old while before anyone is quizzing you on fighter combat tactics.

Best of luck.

CG

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Feb 2015, 10:01
You seem to have got the technical stuff sorted. I guess you've got Shaw's 'Fighter Combat-Tactics and Manoeuvring', but it will be a while before you can use that! The Rolls Royce book 'The Jet Engine' is excellent but not commercially available. Try to beg a copy.
Develop your airmanship. Go read all the flying stories from the early days. Gann (e.g. 'Fate is the Hunter'), , St Exupery ('Southern Mail','Night Flight'), Shute ('Round the Bend', 'Slide Rule'). Nuggets in there have kept me alive a few times.
Don't neglect the less pleasant aspects of war. 'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason is sobering.

teeteringhead
4th Feb 2015, 10:14
'Chickenhawk' by Robert Mason is sobering. And absolutely essential reading for the rotary fraternity!

Fox3WheresMyBanana
4th Feb 2015, 10:33
Well, indeed. Although I was intrigued by Mason's apparent descent into madness. I thought you had to be mad to start with to fly rotary? ;)

I mean, look at the Royal Family, 400 years of in-breeding and they all fly rotary!

teeteringhead
4th Feb 2015, 11:15
I mean, look at the Royal Family, 400 years of in-breeding and they all fly rotary! And by all accounts, the newest ones - Wills and Harry - do it pretty well too.....

And we're not mad ......... just different! :}:8

27mm
4th Feb 2015, 11:38
Good luck, mate. Read any of Mark Berent's books and you'll get a feel for fighter flying and more. Written by a fighter jock from 'Nam.

Melchett01
4th Feb 2015, 15:09
It's dull as dishwater and will put you to sleep in minutes, but get your head into the Airpower Development Centre's doctrine books. Not all if them, just the key ones that talk about how Australia does airpower and where the RAAF fits into the overall scheme of things.

As I said, dull, but worthy reading if you haven't done it already as it will give you an insight into the sort go things you can expect to be getting involved in.

LS-4
4th Feb 2015, 15:56
If you're into autobiographic-ish books, "Vipers in the Storm" by Keith Rosenkranz (USAF, F-16, Desert Storm) and "No Escape Zone" by Nick Richardson (RN, Sea Harrier, Deny Flight / Bosnia) might be of interest.

Bigpants
4th Feb 2015, 16:20
Oswald Boelcke - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia (http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Oswald_Boelcke)

I am sure we will all have a view on your request but I would at least start at the beginning and see how tactics evolved, see above.

Bob Stanford Tuck's "Fly for your Life" worth a read because he was very nearly chopped while in training. Don't assume your training will fly by, even with talent and enthusiasm it is a tough journey.

Keep an open mind on sources of inspiration, in the 1980s the tactics book at TWCU RAF Brawdy had a quote from Galland on the front.

P6 Driver
4th Feb 2015, 16:21
If all else fails, "Biggles Takes it Rough" might do the trick.

Dominator2
4th Feb 2015, 17:01
A few to start with to give you the flavour. Slightly dated but great reading.

Fate is the Hunter Ernest Gann
Thud Ridge Jack Broughton
Rupert Red Two Jack Broughton
When Thunder Rolled Ed Rasimus
Palace Cobra Ed Rasimus
My Secret War Richard Drury
Wings of Fire Robert Wilcox

Also,

Out Of The Blue
Out Of The Blue Too

Both short stories from the last 50+ years of Military Aviation

Pontius Navigator
4th Feb 2015, 20:14
Alec, if you absorb all this it is inevitable that you will have more academic knowledge than some of your instructors; let them know you are keen but don't demonstrate superior knowledge. Whatever their backgrounds they have more experience.

dmussen
5th Feb 2015, 00:44
Full Circle - Jonnie Johnson
The First and the Last - Adolf Galland
The Big Show - Pierre Closterman
Flames in the Sky - Pierre Closterman
As mentioned above there are many hoops to get through before their Airships will let you anywhere near any aircraft.
Ensure you know how to polish boots, tie a windsor knot and keep a low profile.
Oh, don't forget to enjoy yourself.
I can reccomend the whole experience.:ok:

DITYIWAHP
5th Feb 2015, 01:19
I would recommend "Fighter Pilot" by anonymous. Aside from it being an excellent insight into what it must have been like to live as a fighter pilot during the Battle of France, the author's perplexed reaction upon his return to England only to find his countrymen rather unaware of what was going on in the rest of the world strikes a chord today, IMO.

alec taylor
5th Feb 2015, 01:25
All exceptional suggestions, I'm quite dumbfounded by the number and diversity of replies.

CharlieGolf, this is a great suggestion, although it is the flying aspect of the RAAFis what I am most interested in, the political side is just as crucial to success and I will heed your advice.

Pontiusnavigator, another excellent piece of advice, I will take extra care to avoid crossing that line.

Thank you all for your suggestions, I will start ordering some of these books.

Cheers, Alec

Fox3WheresMyBanana
5th Feb 2015, 01:48
"Sagittarius Rising" by Cecil Lewis, also.

Runaway Gun
5th Feb 2015, 06:03
I applaud your enthusiasm and research so far. I think CharlieGolf's answer is the best suited. They don't expect you to be ready trained, least not from unclassified books.

Go more for current affairs, influential politicians/def minister, understand the current role of the ADF, develop your Ded Reckoning skills, study all aircraft types/bases/roles, and have a think about answers for the worst possible questions they might ask about yourself (e.g. why didn't you do so well at physics, or what happens if we post you to the IAI Heron?).