PDA

View Full Version : Embraer KC-390 takes maiden flight

Lyneham Lad
3rd Feb 2015, 15:41
From Flight Global (http://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/embraer-kc-390-takes-maiden-flight-408635/):-

The KC-390, Embraer’s clean-sheet aerial refueling tanker, flew for the first time on 3 February from an airfield in São José dos Campos, Brazil.

The KC-390’s 1h 25min flight consisted of manoeuvres to assess flight characteristics and system tests, including the aircraft’s fly-by-wire controls, Embraer says. "The KC -390 behaved in a docile and predictable manner," test pilot Mazort Louzada says in a statement. "The advanced system of fly- by-wire flight controls and the latest generation avionics facilitate piloting and provide smooth and accurate flight."

Embraer chief executive Frederico Fleury Curado says development of the KC-390 is “most likely the greatest technological challenge that the company has faced in its history”.

Later on in the article:-
First flight is an important milestone in the company’s flight test campaign, which must be completed in time to begin deliveries of the KC-390 to the Brazilian air force in 2016. The air force intends to buy 28 examples of the aircraft, which it collaborated with Embraer to develop. Another five nations have signed letters of intent to purchase a total 32 additional KC-390s.

I wonder how many they need to sell to stand a chance of breaking-even?

MPN11
3rd Feb 2015, 17:19
Neat looking bit of kit for smaller Air Forces ... but not completely convinced that it would have the reach for the Big boys.

I await intelligent input from those who know these things.

Sir George Cayley
3rd Feb 2015, 18:10
It doesn't at first glance look like a tanker, but maybe other roles are possible hence widening its operational capability.

Are those Barbie-Jet windshields?

SGC

KenV
3rd Feb 2015, 20:21
Neat looking bit of kit for smaller Air Forces ... but not completely convinced that it would have the reach for the Big boys.

Which "Big boys"? Lots of Big Air Forces use the C-130 (including USAF and RAF) and the KC-390 has essentially the same payload and slightly greater range than a C-130. For those countries looking for a C-130 replacement or alternative, this could be just the ticket.

KenV
3rd Feb 2015, 20:25
It doesn't at first glance look like a tanker, but maybe other roles are possible hence widening its operational capability.

Like the C-130 and A400M, the KC-390 is primarily a military transport that has a tanker capability. It is NOT a "tanker".

GreenKnight121
4th Feb 2015, 06:40
http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Bager1968/Aircraft/Cargo-Transport/KC-390_zpsbcelyrsu.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/Bager1968/media/Aircraft/Cargo-Transport/KC-390_zpsbcelyrsu.jpg.html)

Note the hose-reel pods under the outer wings:

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b336/Bager1968/Aircraft/Cargo-Transport/img_three_view_zpsmqx9wzmb.jpg (http://s22.photobucket.com/user/Bager1968/media/Aircraft/Cargo-Transport/img_three_view_zpsmqx9wzmb.jpg.html)

Heathrow Harry
4th Feb 2015, 09:57
I suspect they'll sell quite a few

Skeleton
4th Feb 2015, 10:01
Video of first flight.

Ykm9vskZ3Rk

Davef68
4th Feb 2015, 10:23
It's a bigger aircraft than it looks - those big cockpit windows make it look smaller

Martin the Martian
4th Feb 2015, 12:06
EMBRAER have sold a lot of RJs in recent years in the face of stiff competition and are doing well with the ERJ195 family against the mighty duopoly of Airbus and Boeing. I think this addition to the family is likely to go down very well, and I imagine it will be somewhat cheaper than a C-130J.

LowObservable
4th Feb 2015, 12:40
First flight is an important milestone in the company’s flight test campaign,

Wow!

Those are big windows. They make it look 146-sized when it is fully as big as a C-130. I think they'll do very well with it.

Lyneham Lad
4th Feb 2015, 17:49
Given its size, payload etc, how do those experienced in such things consider its likely performance vis-a-vie competitors? The impression one gets visually is that it looks underpowered. Presumably the performance envelope has been carefully defined and that there was nobody in the design office from the Belslow team ;)

From Wikipedia:-
Payload: 23.6 tons (52,029 lb)
Length: 33.91 m (111.3 ft)
Wingspan: 35.06 m (115 ft)
Height: 10.26 m (33.8 ft)
Loaded weight: 74.0 tons (163,142 lb)
Max. takeoff weight: 81.0 tons (178,574 lb)
Powerplant: 2 × IAE V2500-E5 turbofan, 31,330 pounds-force (139.4 kN)[92] () each
Fuel capacity: 37.4 tons (74,800 lb, 33,929 kg)[14]

KenV
4th Feb 2015, 21:06
Given its size, payload etc, how do those experienced in such things consider its likely performance vis-a-vie competitors?

Performance wise, it clearly beats up on the venerable Herc. If it sells for a price under the J model (which seems likely) and Embraer can provide good worldwide support (which seems likely seeing as they've partnered with Boeing to provide support) Lockheed is going to have its hands full selling Js to replace all the A thru H Hercs that are reaching the end of their useful lives. Looks to me like Embraer has a winner on its hands.

Trumpet_trousers
4th Feb 2015, 21:27
KenV;
How can they have a winner on their hands when it doesn't even have eyebrow windows? :}

Tankertrashnav
4th Feb 2015, 23:04
Neat looking bit of kit for smaller Air Forces

Personally I think it's bloody ugly, although looks are very subjective. But then, after the Victor K1 you get a bit spoiled in the looks department ;)

boxmover
5th Feb 2015, 14:01
? Why the silver tape on all the panel gaps?

The Helpful Stacker
5th Feb 2015, 14:53
...How can they have a winner on their hands when it doesn't even have eyebrow windows?

:ok:

As long as they don't have to bank the thing for manoeuvring they be all reet.

KenV
5th Feb 2015, 21:39
KenV;
How can they have a winner on their hands when it doesn't even have eyebrow windows? :}

Good question. Wish I had an answer. But interestingly, while this first aircraft does not include them, eyebrow windows are included in the majority of the drawings released by Embraer. Maybe this is a test aircraft and only production aircraft will include them. Who knows?

tupungato
5th Feb 2015, 22:31
The aircraft looks... small on photos. Maybe because it bears similarities to Dornier 328JET (photo below) which I'm familiar with?

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/6/69/Tyrolean_Jet_Services_Do-328-300_OE-HTJ.jpg
(photo by Juergen Lehle (http://albspotter.eu/) - AlbSpotter Flugzeugbilder Aircraft Photos (http://albspotter.eu/de/flugzeugbilder/1468396991))

The Dornier is 21.3m long whereas the KC-390 is 33.9m, substantially longer.

Heathrow Harry
6th Feb 2015, 08:48
Ken

I don't think Embraer need to have Mr B hold their hands on world wide support - they already have facilities world wide for their commercial aircraft

Tho' I can see Mr B not being terribly upset that EMB might cut into Lockheed's order book :):)

KenV
6th Feb 2015, 21:16
Ken, I don't think Embraer need to have Mr B hold their hands on world wide support - they already have facilities world wide for their commercial aircraft.

Worldwide commercial support and worldwide military support are two very different things. Embraer's military support infrastructure is pretty limited. Boeing can make a big difference there. Also Boeing can provide Performance Based Logistics. Which is to say, militaries pay a fixed fee for X mission capability rate at Y utilization rate. Embraer cannot do that.

Davef68
6th Feb 2015, 22:45
The aircraft looks... small on photos. Maybe because it bears similarities to Dornier 328JET (photo below) which I'm familiar with?

yep, and those big cockpit windows add to that

keesje
7th Feb 2015, 12:46
I think the Eye-brows are included in the windows.. its fly by wire so can be flown up to the envelope limits.

A main strong point of this aircraft is the height of the cabin. It can carry vehicles and helicopters that don't fit the C130. Such as Black Hawk.

http://www.aereo.jor.br/wp-content/uploads//2011/05/Reemplazo_Hercs-580x440.jpg

And it can refuel fast jets.

I agree Embraer might have a winner here. Not super advanced but right sized and affordable. Where are Lockheed / Boeing? Apparently they waited too long.

Heathrow Harry
7th Feb 2015, 15:17
"Which is to say, militaries pay a fixed fee for X mission capability rate at Y utilization rate. Embraer cannot do that."

maybe it will be cheap enough so that they don't need a rent-a-car C-17 type arrangement

I also suspect that many of the likely customers aren't that interested in actual utilisation rates - they just need to have some aircraft around to replace their earlier Hercules variants - actual useage will be low

FoxtrotAlpha18
8th Feb 2015, 23:30
keesje,

That (Chilean?) graphic is quite dated, it even has CFM56s instead V2500s. I wonder if they'll consider a GTF for the B model like they're doing to their E-Jet civvie range?

I can't see the KC-390 having the same short field and ramp speed performance as a C-130. And yes, it doesn't look quite right with those
oversized cockpit windows.

Does it carry cargo hold bladders when doing AAR? If not, it won't be venturing too far from home.

And any word on unit costs compared to a C-130J? It's hard to get into a J for under $100m these days.

stilton
9th Feb 2015, 10:53
I read an article that stated it can only perform a limited number of unimproved field landings due to fod / airframe ? vulnerability.

So it may be a good design in some ways it won't ever have the rugged utility
of the C130 or A400.

salad-dodger
9th Feb 2015, 14:48
So it may be a good design in some ways it won't ever have the rugged utility of the C130 or A400.
C130 - Agreed and proven.
A400M - remains to be seen.

S-D

KenV
9th Feb 2015, 20:53
maybe it will be cheap enough so that they don't need a rent-a-car C-17 type arrangement
RAF owns their C-17s now. It's no longer a lease arrangement.

I also suspect that many of the likely customers aren't that interested in actual utilisation rates - they just need to have some aircraft around to replace their earlier Hercules variants - actual useage will be lowMaybe, maybe not. This is much is certain: the buyers of the C-17 have ALL bought the Boeing support package, even the ones who only bought two.

KenV
9th Feb 2015, 21:00
I read an article that stated it can only perform a limited number of unimproved field landings due to fod / airframe ? vulnerability.

Two comments:

1. Only rotorcraft land at an "unimproved field". Fixed wing transports, no matter how rugged, generally land at what USAF calls "semi-prepared" fields, which is to say unpaved runways.

2. Many civil aircraft can routinely operate from unpaved fields, so it does not take any really special design features to be able to operate from unpaved fields.

stilton
9th Feb 2015, 22:48
It does if you want to use the aircraft again.

Pardinho
21st Feb 2016, 01:30
KC-390 exceeds 100 hours of flight

http://55ca7cd0-f8ac-0132-1185-705681baa5c1.s3-website-sa-east-1.amazonaws.com/defesanet/site/upload/news_image/2016/02/29526_resize_620_380_true_false_null.jpg
Embraer said its KC-390 military transport prototype has performed more than 100 hours of flight since resumed its testing program.

The tests were resumed in October last year, following a suspension due to government budget constraints two years.

The KC-390 is a twin-engine freighter jet capable of aerial refueling. Embraer expects to receive certification in the second half of 2017.

The Brazilian Air Force plans to buy 28 aircraft of type, with deliveries starting by Embraer from 2018. Argentina, Chile, Colombia and the Czech Republic expressed interest in acquiring the plane.

"We are happy with the aircraft, which has had good availability for the tests, sometimes making two flights a day," said the vice-president of Embraer Paul Gaston Silva. "The airplane is behaving very well and we were able to cover the entire flight envelope.

"We tested the limits of speed, Mach number and altitude, and test all positions of slats, flaps and landing gear. We also made an on-board shutdown, restart with engine and APU. We were able to confirm all of our forecasts for the flight and performance qualities. "

glad rag
21st Feb 2016, 12:46
If they could qualify a boom system this could be an efficient way to tank our F-35B's......

:E

BEagle
21st Feb 2016, 12:50
The F-35B is intended to use the probe-and-drogue system, so why would the KC-390 need a boom system?

Lonewolf_50
22nd Feb 2016, 16:24
I like the look of this aircraft. Very much "get the job done" look to it. Hope it continues to progress and meet milestones.

ORAC
22nd Feb 2016, 16:36
ZEMtaFVrLGM

Argonautical
23rd Feb 2016, 08:06
Can I please ask what is the purpose of the small drogue it trailed on take-off and landing in the above clip?

BEagle
23rd Feb 2016, 09:38
It is a trailing static pressure sensor, necessary to calibrate the aircraft's flight instruments.

Commonly seen on the first few test flights of most new designs.

Speedywheels
23rd Feb 2016, 09:40
It's a trailing static probe that provides accurate data to the test aircrew. Theory is the cone flies outside the aircraft wake and provides accurate P/S data to allow calibration of the on-aircraft systems. Commonly used on early test flights to ensure the data coming directly from the aircraft system is accurate and not being adversely affected by aircraft attitude.

Edit: Wot he said ^^^^^^^

glad rag
23rd Feb 2016, 13:43
The F-35B is intended to use the probe-and-drogue system, so why would the KC-390 need a boom system?

Really? wow bet thats "really" stealthy then...

rugmuncher
23rd Feb 2016, 13:50
Quote:
Originally Posted by BEagle View Post

glad rag:
"Really? wow bet thats "really" stealthy then...2

The F-35 uses both methods, no?

hoss183
23rd Feb 2016, 14:01
? Why the silver tape on all the panel gaps?

Either they ran out of bolts, or its to get an extra 5kts out of it :)

Rhino power
23rd Feb 2016, 14:10
The F-35 uses both methods, no?

Yes, you either have the probe/drogue or boom/receptacle system, 'our' (RAF/RN) F-35B's will have the probe/drogue system, as will all other F-35B and C's...

-RP

Rhino power
23rd Feb 2016, 14:12
Really? wow bet thats "really" stealthy then...

Just as stealthy as using the boom/receptacle method, I suspect... :8

-RP

ORAC
23rd Feb 2016, 16:05
When it's in, it's stealthy, when it's out - the tanker RCS makes it irrelevant - might be if the UCAS CBARS (http://www.defensenews.com/story/defense/naval/naval-aviation/2016/01/31/uclass-ucasd-navy-carrier-unmanned-jet-x47-northrop-boeing/79624226/) gets the go ahead.....

7xR_3H0qaTE

Rhino power
23rd Feb 2016, 16:15
When it's in, it's stealthy, when it's out - the tanker RCS makes it irrelevant

That was the exact (badly made, admittedly) point I was hoping to get across, ORAC! ;)

-RP

Pardinho
12th Mar 2016, 20:36
Embraer Readies Second KC-390 For Test Effort

http://aviationweek.com/site-files/aviationweek.com/files/uploads/2016/02/DF-KC390_1_BarrosJohnson-BrazilAirForce_0.jpg

In company with the Brazilian air force Super Tucano display team, Embraer’s KC-390 prototype overflew the rollout celebration for the company’s E190-E2 airliner on Feb 25. Credit: Sgt. Barros Johnson, Brazil Air Force (http://aviationweek.com/site-files/aviationweek.com/files/uploads/2016/02/DF-KC390_1_BarrosJohnson-BrazilAirForce_0.jpg)

Testing of Embraer (http://awin.aviationweek.com/OrganizationProfiles.aspx?orgId=14162)’s KC-390 (http://awin.aviationweek.com/ProgramProfileDetails.aspx?pgId=1182&pgName=Embraer+KC-390) tanker-transport is poised to accelerate to new levels with the introduction of a 7second aircraft and the start of a broad series of mission evaluations designed to finalize the aircraft’s aerodynamic lines.
Despite a 265-day hiatus in flight tests (related to Brazil’s budget issues) following its first flight in February 2015, the prototype has been flying at a high tempo since returning to the air last Oct. 26. “We are getting good reliability in the flight-test campaign. In January we flew more than 50 hr. in one month,” says Alexandre De Pol Fernandes, KC-390 senior program manager. “We have more than 130 flight hours amassed over the first four months. In terms of the aircraft’s high availability we are logging an unprecedented flight rate for a prototype,” he adds.

https://c2.staticflickr.com/2/1564/25401173590_f622286397_h.jpg

Since completing an initial airworthiness evaluation on the first sortie last year, Embraer launched immediately into envelope expansion when flights resumed. “We have achieved Mach 0.8, which is a very important milestone for us, and it is cleared to 36,000 ft. We are also evaluating all the aircraft systems, and have done inflight engine start and auxiliary power unit starts. We have also completed flap/slat configuration tests,” says Fernandes.
The latter tests are critical to the KC-390’s slow speed performance for both short-field capability and air-drop missions, adds Fernando Fialho, KC-390 program strategy manager. “This is very different from most other aircraft. We have a continuous double-flap segment with a fixed vane and can put flaps in discrete one-by-one degree positions.”
The flaps can be positioned from 0-40 deg., “which enables a wide variety of military operations such as gravity air drop, in which you need to put the aircraft in a nose-up attitude,” says Fialho. “We need to fly at fixed speed and altitude but at various weights. If you are heavier you need more flap. The ability to have such a large flap deflection also improves takeoff performance,” he adds.

Embraer Readies Second KC-390 For Test Effort | Tanker | Defense content from Aviation Week (http://aviationweek.com/defense/embraer-readies-second-kc-390-test-effort)

Heathrow Harry
13th Mar 2016, 09:42
I have to say it looks rather good..................

TBM-Legend
13th Mar 2016, 11:40
Yes, you either have the probe/drogue or boom/receptacle system

Well the Republic F-105 Thunderchief had both>>>
At the time of the design of the F-105, TAC was equipped with hose-and-drogue tankers such as converted KB-50s, whereas boom tankers such as KC-97s and KC-135s had been assigned to SAC. In order that it be capable of being refuelled in midair by the KB-50 fleet, the F-105 was fitted with a retractable midair refuelling probe which swung outward from a slot in the forward fuselage just ahead of the cockpit. Unfortunately, the retirement of the KB-50 tankers left TAC dependent on SAC's boom tankers. Although a hose extension could be attached to the end of the flying boom of the KC-135 so that it could handle probe-and-drogue receiving aircraft, it was thought that it would be beneficial for TAC to have aircraft that were fully compatible with SAC booms. Consequently, the last few F-105Ds off the production line (production block -31) were given the capability of refuelling from either a flying boom or a hose-drogue type of tanker. This was done by fitting a flush-mounted retractable door-type receptacle in front of the windshield which could accept a flying-boom type of midair-refuelling probe. Some earlier F-105Ds were retrofitted with these receptacles.

13th Mar 2016, 11:53
I'm rather hoping that the airdrop/para drop/air-to-air refuelling capabilities of the KC-390 exceed those of the A400M.

skydiver69
13th Mar 2016, 12:51
I think that from some angles it looks like a tadpole...

Pardinho
16th Mar 2016, 21:30
KC-390 Flight Campaign Status

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=INafDGrtNWs

At the end of the morning of Monday, March 14, 2016, Embraer announced on his Facebook page photo with the second prototype of its military jet transport KC-390, stating that the aircraft was recently completed.
The second prototype is the example seen to the right, adding that the plane is undergoing ground tests and will join the flight test campaign in the coming weeks.
http://i2.wp.com/www.aereo.jor.br/wp-content/uploads/2016/03/KC-390-segundo-prototipo-ao-lado-do-primeiro-foto-grande-Facebook-Embraer.jpg?w=2048

Roland Pulfrew
17th Mar 2016, 12:37

And there was me just scrolling past the inflight picture thinking to myself "if it looks right....." On that basis I think the Brazilians may have cracked it, I hope so.

Heathrow Harry
17th Mar 2016, 13:57
whereas the F-35.........

KenV
17th Mar 2016, 17:30
I'm rather hoping that the airdrop/para drop/air-to-air refuelling capabilities of the KC-390 exceed those of the A400M. In the air-to-air refueling department, the KC-390 is very likely going to be better than the A400M. A400M's wake turbulence at helicopter speeds is excessive. That problem is reportedly being worked on, but France has already given up and committed to KC-130Js for their helo refueling needs.

As for airdrop and para drop, I'm pretty sure A400 is not yet cleared for either. I think those are part of the "tactical mission" upgrade that still lies in the A400's future. And those missions likely fall even farther in the future for the C-390. Time will tell.

Lyneham Lad
22nd Mar 2016, 19:25
An interesting article (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/fidae-kc-390-regains-flight-test-momentum-422483/) with background information on the development programme on Flight Global.

MPN11
22nd Mar 2016, 19:47
So ... the consensus seems to be that it looks a bit odd [as did many other new introductions, like the YC-130] but seems pretty convincing overall..

Question 1 ... assuming this turns out to be as good as it seems to date, what is Embraer's production capability? I know they're quite a big outfit, but could they cope with World-wide demand for this little rascal?

Question 2 ... tongue in cheek, I suppose it's too late to pull out of A300M and take this route instead? ;)

Pardinho
31st Mar 2016, 23:39
KC-390 - will be in Farnborough

The cargo aircraft multirole KC-390 will cross the Atlantic and take part in the Farnborough International Airshow.

http://i.imgur.com/Ztu9gvL.jpg

Nelson Düring
Chief Editor Defesanet

A news that is a real surprise was announced exclusively to Defesanet the CEO of Embraer Defense & Security Jackson Schneider at FIDAE 2016.

The multi-mission KC-390 tanker currently under development that reached more than 150 flight hours mark, will be on static display in the traditional Farnborough International Airshow, to be held in England in the period 11 to 17 July 2016.

This is a well calculated move by the EMBRAER marketing. Even with the budget constraints that affect the development schedule delaying it in 18 months for the final certification of the aircraft.

In the middle of last year the EMBRAER Defense & Security has taken the courageous decision to continue with the development program and the construction of the other prototypes, one more for flight tests and two for static testing, with its own resources.

Even after the Brazilian Air Force has managed to pay off overdue installments, another effect happened. Restated by the dollar appreciation led the debt be parked in the same amount that is R $ 1, 4 Billion.

The risk of crossing the Atlantic is minimized by the reliability and maturity that the complex KC-390 flight systems are achieving and demonstrating in more than 150 flight hours since the EMBRAER Defense & Security facility in Gavião Peixoto, Brazil.

Today are about 28 aircraft contracted for the FAB and 32 more for the countries participating in the development consortium (Argentina, Chile, Portugal, Czech Rep.).

The direction by CEO Jackson Schneider and Director of Freighter Program Multimission KC-390.mostram is confident and relaxed about the evolution and the schedule of the goals will be achieved.

Hueymeister
1st Apr 2016, 14:51
the CAF are looking at this for the FWSAR platform..hope thy buy it..looks rather nice and very capable.:E

stilton
2nd Apr 2016, 05:01
Like to know how much FOD those big turbofans can absorb..

Pardinho
28th Apr 2016, 19:06
The KC-390 has achieved a new milestone in the flight test campaign today with the in flight operation of the cargo door, rear ramp and paratrooper's door.

ut8p5VHfYhs

Prototype 002 flew with the 001.

https://cdn.defesaaereanaval.com.br/wp-content/uploads/KC-390-5-1156x296.jpg

Heathrow Harry
29th Apr 2016, 11:23
nice video but hellish sound-track.................

Evanelpus
29th Apr 2016, 14:13
A lot of the publicity photos remind me of the style of the ones BAe put out surrounding the 146 STA.

KenV
29th Apr 2016, 14:27
Like to know how much FOD those big turbofans can absorb..Very likely not an issue. C-17 has much bigger turbofans and does not have FOD problems operating from unpaved/austere airfields. And C-17 has shown that a turbofan in a properly designed nacelle with properly designed thrust reversers is in many ways SUPERIOR to a turbo prop in many ways. What remains unclear is if the C-390 uses C-17 style nacelles and thrust reversers.

Lyneham Lad
29th Jun 2016, 16:45
On Flight Global (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/kc-390-confirmed-for-farnborough-debut-426808/):-

Embraer is to give its developmental KC-390 tanker/transport an international debut at the Farnborough air show, ahead of a multi-national promotional tour for the jet-powered type.

Click the link for the full article.

Pardinho
5th Jul 2016, 22:06
Embraer KC-390 - Current stage of development.

fGK3qc9GXbA

This prototype is in Portugal today, and participates in Farnborough, England.

KenV
4th Aug 2016, 11:53
Boeing and Embraer to collaborate on KC-390 aircraft

Under a new agreement with Brazilian aerospace company Embraer, Boeing Defense, Space & Security's Global Services & Support division will have an opportunity to expand its work on non-Boeing aircraft.

The two companies have agreed to jointly market and support the KC-390, Embraer’s multimission mobility and aerial refueling aircraft, which is a new jet engine competitor in the traditionally turboprop-dominated medium airlift market.

Announced at the recent Farnborough International Airshow, the agreement positions Embraer as the aircraft provider, and Boeing will be responsible for in-service sustainment and training support. The two companies together will actively pursue opportunities to serve new customers around the globe.

The agreement expands an existing collaboration between the two companies. In 2012, Boeing and Embraer first announced their intention to jointly market the aircraft. The relationship has grown over time to better serve customer needs, according to program officials.

"This new teaming agreement underscores our commitment to branch out beyond the traditional OEM (original equipment manufacturer) role and into services for non-Boeing aircraft," said Ed Dolanski, president of Global Services & Support. "Our global reach allows us to quickly respond to customers’ needs while keeping costs low. We look forward to the benefits afforded by this expanded relationship, not only to us and Embraer, but also to our potential customers."

chopper2004
4th Aug 2016, 22:30
It was nice to see it @ Farnborough last month so here are my photos. I think it also went to Prague afterwards for a visit and sincerely hope we see it again at Farnborough or Paris next year,

cheers

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/longranger128/IMG_4294_zpsyxgfsi7w.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/longranger128/IMG_4292_zpsqlz6megt.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/longranger128/IMG_4298_zpshwj3doh7.jpg

http://i57.photobucket.com/albums/g209/longranger/longranger128/IMG_4304_zps6dzndnyp.jpg

sandiego89
5th Aug 2016, 13:34
Thanks for posting- looks like it would be a great fit for many users.

I see it as the ultimate VIP jet in a combi-set up. Fly into Monaco, Cannes, Dubai, Aspen...drive your Bentley down the back ramp as soon as the chocks are in place....

MPN11
5th Aug 2016, 19:34
The more I see of it, the more I like it.

"If it looks right" is a long-standing totem. Good luck to both companies ... :ok:

Heathrow Harry
6th Aug 2016, 09:22
I can see this hoovering up quite a few orders .............

Pardinho
21st Nov 2016, 13:22
KC-390 debut at the Farnborough Airshow 2016.

OkRRUZbeSwM

FakePilot
21st Nov 2016, 13:58
I like the look of this aircraft. Very much "get the job done" look to it. Hope it continues to progress and meet milestones.

British think it looks ugly, Americans think it looks functional. It's a winner!

Downwind.Maddl-Land
21st Nov 2016, 18:13
I too, think it looks 'a winner'; but that blade ae (00:17-19 in the video above) looks like an accident waiting to happen.....:\

ORAC
11th Mar 2017, 06:46
Portugal envisages acquisition of KC-390 aircraft | IHS Jane's 360 (http://www.janes.com/article/68638/portugal-envisages-acquisition-of-kc-390-aircraft)

The Portuguese Ministry of National Defence (MoND) currently considers the Embraer KC-390 multipurpose transport aircraft as an adequate solution to progressively replace the country's Lockheed Martin C-130H Hercules aircraft, it told Jane's on 9 March.

No contract has yet been placed, but up to six aircraft are expected to be purchased. Portugal made an information request to Embraer last October and is currently analysing the information provided, the MoND told Jane's . The aircraft would conduct troop and cargo transport, firefighting, and air-to-air refuelling missions in the Portuguese Air Force service, the MoND said.

Several Portuguese companies, including OGMA-Indústria Aeronáutica de Portugal (partially owned by Embraer), Embraer Metálicas, Embraer Compósitos, and CEiiA, are involved with the KC-390 programme, which Jane's understands favours a potential buy of the type.

Pardinho
16th Mar 2017, 16:59
KC-390 Air to Air Refueling

Embraer completed the first in-flight refueling dry contact with its KC-390 military freighter and a receiving aircraft, an important milestone in the tests for the in-flight refueling system of the new airplane.

A Brazilian F-5M Tiger II aircraft was connected to two refueling hoses on a KC-390 prototype during a test exit near the Santa Cruz air base in Rio de Janeiro on February 19, Embraer announced in 20 Of February at the IDEX defense fair.

http://www.aereo.jor.br/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/KC-390-revo-com-F-5.jpg

wyYNUZV7u3Y

sandiego89
17th Mar 2017, 12:28
Think this could aircraft could work very well for many countries that desire both the cargo and refueling capability- especially as it looks like the A-400 will never be the tactical refueler that it was promised to be.

Always nice to see the ex-Hindenburg hangar in Brazil- I had not idea it was even there until I stumbled across it on some website.

NutLoose
17th Mar 2017, 16:43
Interesting when you watch this ( In Portuguese) that they have it down with both a maritime and fire-bombing version.

WJgjngvNbA8

Dan Gerous
17th Mar 2017, 20:48
Just been watching some of the previously posted vids, and there is a lot of space between the rear side doors and the back end of the aircraft that doesn't seem usable, especially the upward opening rear cargo hatch.

Pardinho
9th Jun 2017, 15:40
KC 390 | Water Spray Test

LN8MGUeMOgs

The Baron
9th Jun 2017, 23:37
I have spent nearly 10 years in the Embraer 190. Definitely the nicest Jet I have flown. A true 4th Gen airliner that makes the a320/737ng offering look rather dated. This little airlifter uses the same fly by wire technology.
Politics and business pressures aside, they should sell hundreds.

ORAC
10th Jun 2017, 23:21
As per my post #74, it seems Portugal has opened formal negotiations to buy 5 with an option on a 6th.

https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/portugal-opens-talks-to-buy-kc-390s-from-embraer-438122/

Pardinho
18th Jun 2017, 00:48
XqOKH_g1Qsk

Pardinho
19th Jun 2017, 18:10
Embraer KC-390 Military Transport Flying Display at Paris Air Show 2017

uKEHgxwLpOg

Lyneham Lad
26th Jul 2017, 12:59
​KC-390 wraps world tour (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/kc-390-wraps-world-tour-439570/)

Embraer’s KC-390 wrapped its 40-day demonstration tour this week after stops in 18 countries throughout Europe, Africa and Asia.

The Brazilian transport tanker made its flight display debut at the Paris air show this June and went on to a series of flight demonstrations before returning to Brazil. The KC-390 covered 49,537nm during its trip, demonstrating high temperature and high altitude take-offs, low-level navigation and simulated operational conditions, such as paratroopers dropping, a 21 July Embraer release states.

But will orders be forthcoming?

Rhino power
8th Nov 2017, 23:40
https://theaviationist.com/2017/11/09/first-prototype-of-brazilian-kc-390-military-cargo-aircraft-almost-crashed-during-stall-tests-last-month/

-RP

Heathrow Harry
9th Nov 2017, 06:39
Brown trouser moment for sure - high AOA, ice and then your CoG changes without warning..............................

"As reported by Aero Magazine, the KC-390 registered PT-ZNF was performing critical pre-stall tests, that involved high-AOA (Angle Of Attack) and ice formation on wings. During the maneuver, an equipment used for the tests, detached from its place and rolled to the back of the cargo compartment causing a sudden change in the center of gravity (CG) of the aircraft. As a consequence of the rapid displacement of the CG the pilots lost control of the airlifter, that stalled and started to spin towards the ground. Reportedly, the pilots were able to recover the aircraft as it was only 1,000 feet (about 300 m) above the ground, and landed the KC-390 safely in Gavião Peixoto airfield."

Davef68
9th Nov 2017, 11:40
So, spin recovery post-stall possible in KC390 - tick!

Heathrow Harry
9th Nov 2017, 15:49
So, spin recovery post-stall possible in KC390 - tick!

":eek:with added icing!!!"

ORAC
10th Nov 2017, 07:00
Alert 5 » Details emerged from KC-390 stalling incident on Oct. 12 - Military Aviation News (http://alert5.com/2017/11/10/details-emerged-from-kc-390-stalling-incident-on-oct-12/)

New details have emerged regarding the stalling incident of the first KC-390 prototype on Oct. 12.

Brazilian trade publication Aero Magazine said test equipment inside the cargo plane had come loose during the stall test – which was simulating icing conditions. ADS-B data showed the aircraft went from 21,000 ft to 3,000 ft in around 3 minutes. Airspeed dropped to 114 kts at one point. The crew managed to recover back safely at Araraquara 14 minutes later.

Embraer said in a statement that some of the “access hatches and aerodynamic fairings must be repaired.” There was no damage to the fuselage.

http://alert5.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/894a3018-51d7-45a9-9bcf-1f09fdb637191.png

Lyneham Lad
14th Nov 2017, 17:23
A lengthy, comprehensive and interesting article in Flight Global (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/flight-test-embraers-kc-390-an-airlift-jet-setter-442825/?cmpid=NLC|FGFG|FGFIN-2017-1114-GLOB&sfid=70120000000taAh)

Snippet regarding AAR performance (in the Sim):-
The advantages offered by the active SS became clear during our simulated air-to-air refuelling (AAR) exercise.

After rendezvousing with another KC-390, I tried to stabilise just behind the refuelling drogue extended from the left-hand Cobham refuelling pod. I could easily remain stable fore and aft, but lateral stability proved challenging. We slid from side to side, almost wingtip to wingtip, as I tried to stabilise behind the basket. After working up a sweat, I backed out of the approach and stabilised about 100m (328ft) behind the tanker.

At that point, Menini selected the flight controls to air refuelling mode. Like many aircraft, the KC-390’s default FCL are not optimum for air refuelling. In AAR mode, pitch and roll axis FCL were tweaked for the fine tracking task of air refuelling. As we again advanced toward the basket I did not perceive any differences in the pitch axis, but it was an almost opposite feeling for lateral tracking.

While I was certainly no “Ace of the Base”, with AAR mode engaged I could approach and make controlled stabs at the basket. After a few solo attempts Menini joined me on the controls. While DUAL INPUT sounded intermittently, I could feel his stick inputs as we closed and made several solid contacts. Having been an instructor pilot, Menini’s ability to feel my control inputs greatly enhanced his ability to teach me how to air refuel the KC-390. With the air refuelling exercise complete, we rounded out the simulator session with visual approaches to normal landings.

The article then continues with a description of aircraft performance for real, albeit no AAR.

VX275
15th Nov 2017, 08:54
Brown trouser moment for sure - high AOA, ice and then your CoG changes without warning..............................

"As reported by Aero Magazine, the KC-390 registered PT-ZNF was performing critical pre-stall tests, that involved high-AOA (Angle Of Attack) and ice formation on wings. During the maneuver, an equipment used for the tests, detached from its place and rolled to the back of the cargo compartment causing a sudden change in the center of gravity (CG) of the aircraft. As a consequence of the rapid displacement of the CG the pilots lost control of the airlifter, that stalled and started to spin towards the ground. Reportedly, the pilots were able to recover the aircraft as it was only 1,000 feet (about 300 m) above the ground, and landed the KC-390 safely in Gavião Peixoto airfield."

You can fit the most up to date cargo handling system to an aircraft but the odd 'transit chain' fitted for the 'just in case' scenario is always good practice. That and insisting that the aircraft spec has "the ability to fly with a 12 000 lb load jammed on the ramp" written into it just like wot the A400M had.

bvcu
15th Nov 2017, 14:50
any other cases of a swept wing jet transport of that size or bigger recovering from a spin ? Useful info for them i guess !

KenV
15th Nov 2017, 15:35
any other cases of a swept wing jet transport of that size or bigger recovering from a spin ? Useful info for them i guess !I could be completely wrong about this, but somehow I doubt the aircraft entered an actual spin. More likely a deep stall which can be hard to recover from in a T-tail aircraft. That's why the C-17 got fly-by-wire. The original design was not fly-by-wire, but FBW became necessary to provide positive stall protection over the full flight envelope. A stick pusher was not considered sufficient.

Heathrow Harry
15th Nov 2017, 16:06
Good flight test review in "Flight" this week - very positive

Lyneham Lad
16th Nov 2017, 15:29
Good flight test review in "Flight" this week - very positive

See post #90...

Pardinho
5th Apr 2018, 18:22
Two aircraft fully engaged in the flight test campaign with more than 1,600 flight hours. Results are confirming the design capabilities and that the KC-390 truly is the new generation multi-mission transport aircraft.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=49&v=wwlrj07GFuA

SWBKCB
6th May 2018, 05:37
Embraer reports KC-390 runway excursion in Gaviao Peixoto - Flight (https://www.flightglobal.com/news/articles/embraer-reports-kc-390-runway-excursion-in-gaviao-pe-448359/)

ORAC
6th May 2018, 06:31
Not sure if it will buff out.....

https://youtu.be/TVqFSxoDbi4

Frostchamber
6th May 2018, 09:35
I'm guessing the giant bin bag and the white spray paint are attempts to stop images being associated with the product. Not sure that'll work either...

Carbon Bootprint
6th May 2018, 14:49
I'm guessing the giant bin bag and the white spray paint are attempts to stop images being associated with the product. Not sure that'll work either...It's been practiced a long time. I'm not sure if it's ever resulted in the anonymity that they're seeking, though.

KenV
8th May 2018, 15:13
I agree Embraer might have a winner here. Not super advanced but right sized and affordable. Where are Lockheed / Boeing? Apparently they waited too long.Boeing? Boeing is a limited partner with Embraer on development of the C-390 and has some exclusive marketing and support rights to the aircraft. And more recently Boeing has been in negotiations to outright purchase Embraer, or at least most of its civil business assets. The Brazilian government will not allow Boeing to purchase Embraer's military assets. Don't know if the C-390 is part of Embraer's civil or military divisions.

ORAC
7th Oct 2018, 03:24
https://www.reuters.com/article/us-embraer-boeing/boeing-embraer-to-build-kc-390-military-cargo-jet-in-u-s-newspaper-idUSKCN1MB2PI

Boeing, Embraer to build KC-390 military cargo jet in U.S.

RIO DE JANEIRO (Reuters) - U.S. planemaker Boeing and Brazil’s Embraer are in talks to set up an assembly line to build KC-390 military cargo jets in the United States, Brazilian newspaper Valor Economico reported on Monday.

In July, the two planemakers announced a deal to give Boeing an 80 percent stake in Embraer’s commercial aircraft arm, marking the biggest realignment in the global aerospace market in decades. At the time, the companies also announced a deeper sales and services partnership on the new KC-390 military cargo jet through a separate defense venture that they said was likely to eventually receive a joint investment.

According to the report on Monday, which did not detail how the paper obtained the information, the two companies intend to create a defense-related joint venture to install the factory, which would be the second to produce the plane. Such a partnership would give Boeing a newly designed, U.S.-built tactical transport plane to sell directly against rival Lockheed Martin’s workhorse Hercules C130.

The companies did not immediately respond to requests for comment. The move would allow the planemakers to grow their collaboration in the defense realm, after Boeing’s original takeover bid snagged on Brazilian concerns about it gaining control of national defense programs.

Kerosene Kraut
7th Oct 2018, 07:41
How about Charleston, S.C.? Easy shipping from Brasil and sized to grow.

Lyneham Lad
8th Jan 2020, 13:26
Article & photo on Flight Global (https://www.flightglobal.com/defence/kc-390-achieves-key-airdrop-milestones/135942.article)

The Embraer KC-390 tactical transport has completed a campaign involving aerial drops of cargo.

“The KC-390 Millennium new generation multi-mission medium airlifter has successfully concluded the testing campaign for gravity airdrop and extraction drop of heavy loads by the use of the Container Delivery System (CDS) and Low Velocity Air Drop (LVAD), respectively,” says Embraer in a statement.

chopper2004
8th Jan 2020, 16:24
I attended Le Bourget last year and it was 50 years of Embraer.....so here are my photos of their Kc-390...

cheers

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/4d10c6f1_15b8_45af_83c6_7db85e80cad1_edccca6d7ebb6058319e528 a40c030b9f6bca5f0.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/c37f3f9d_2040_4a6f_af36_0fa562cd128b_b532b37d423242af94d8234 8d58fba3abf943efa.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x960/77d0a769_7c62_40b9_9da0_61272d08860f_1534225f665bd0962092b78 bbc86d4bd0d344671.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/b384514a_fdfd_464a_834a_e55e4c5685ba_0fbe74f9e015830480c1526 a590f81c20fdefb28.jpeg
https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x960/1ae63310_def6_475a_bb1b_62cdd18c4464_14b72fee3b663e08956ef22 8fcb68baea5b701f4.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/0ec54d00_709e_4e47_99bf_a35204f33781_9f3372b541eee32e2ce16b4 942ad2e6c92e342d1.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x960/22589dff_7e48_4c1b_ad26_cb723a090f65_ec9e29fb54f9e5fadafe333 171428bdb3220e37e.jpeg
https://cimg5.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/bbc00ab9_b418_4405_adbe_0671381b3057_c01652adc455fa2cc6a9333 fb8671a971b773a0e.jpeg
https://cimg7.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/331b4472_72d2_4ba1_a29d_d00743a7db89_8ced6497633467adb1f8896 0ecf9ec7640adc174.jpeg
https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/0165fa2b_6532_4d1f_bf51_de7d31e0c244_fd1b6f259b21cbc0464641d 17a4c56cafcf23420.jpeg
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/1549c7e0_a8cf_4640_8069_ad778563193d_303a9e8e3ff97cd186bc512 6bd1c03922dbefd39.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/960x720/69f9d120_6373_45fc_9e0e_2431066afec0_7b9e50f73683b4a4d5d9065 69be19ebdfc55f8fe.jpeg
https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/0becb6c5_930b_4b54_ad3d_261dbd234cfb_6477d54b529900ed6280c65 37f6c079b5a97624d.jpeg
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/e70f4022_e6d3_4916_9570_1e10c85cb4e8_4e9aec03d2cf0dacaa64362 c56a4de4ad557270e.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/720x960/2c9cb3ac_398a_45b0_9c45_de1e093f1298_b8f66d78464e8e07109931e 161c553758242bb78.jpeg

chopper2004
17th Nov 2020, 12:22
Atop of Portugal ordering the KC-390, Hungary has just ordered a pair to be delivered by 2023.

https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug=1206809-hungary-signs-contract-for-acquisition-of-two-multi-mission-kc-390-millennium-airlifters

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1274/b842d9f3_2f86_4757_afb4_892733b737cc_d0339538163c17682b7fef1 84c3ccbb86d124a13.jpeg

ORAC
29th May 2021, 05:21
Heavy cut in KC-390 procurement - I have to wonder what that will do to the production line and costs. Hadn’t picked up the authorisation of new wide body tankers - chance for Airbus with the MRTT?

https://www.airway1.com/in-severe-blow-to-embraer-brazilian-air-force-will-reduce-order-for-the-kc-390/

In severe blow to Embraer, Brazilian Air Force will reduce order for the KC-390

The Brazilian Air Force (FAB) announced on Wednesday a surprising decision to cut the order for 28 KC-390 Millennium airlifter jets.

Claiming budget cuts, the service aims to reduce the rate of annual deliveries to two aircraft, but has not revealed how many units will be excluded from the order.

According to the original schedule, Embraer, which has already sent four KC-390s to the Air Force, should deliver three aircraft in 2021, three in 2022, four in 2023, three in 2024, four in 2025, four in 2026 and three in 2027.

The rate of delivery of two military transport jets per year suggests that the Air Force is expected to receive less than 20 aircraft in the future.

“The main issue concerns the expected number of 28 aircraft under the current contract, which, at this moment, has proved to be superior to the budgetary reality of the Force, both for acquisition and logistical support over time,” says the statement released by FAB.

The Air Force announcement is a major blow to the C-390 Millennium (https://www.airway1.com/kc-390-is-renamed-as-c-390-millennium/) program. The order for 28 aircraft so far accounted for 80% of firm orders for the airlifter, which still has five units ordered by Portugal (https://www.airway1.com/portugal-signs-agreement-to-acquire-five-embraer-kc-390/) and two planes under an agreement with Hungary (https://www.airway1.com/hungary-is-the-new-customer-of-the-embraer-kc-390/).

FAB has also played a role as a showcase for the jet, whose first aircraft was delivered in 2019. With greater capacity than the C-130 Hercules turboprop and much higher speed, the KC-390 has been used by Brazil in several missions, including the health aid to contain the Covid-19 pandemic.

Weeks ago, the FAB received authorization from the Ministry of Defense to acquire two widebodies for air transport and refueling (https://www.airway1.com/brazilian-air-force-authorized-to-purchase-two-transport-and-refueling-aircraft/) under the argument that the force lacks large-capacity aircraft.

Embraer has been betting on the C-390 as one of its main assets to obtain new orders while recovering from the failure of the joint venture with Boeing. The US airframer, in fact, was interested in being a partner of the Brazilian company in international sales of the airlifiter jet, but the agreement was also broken last year.

NutLoose
29th May 2021, 10:35
I see South Korea is looking at building a similar design that carries underwing missiles for defence?.

https://www.janes.com/defence-news/news-detail/kai-proposes-developing-indigenous-military-transport-aircraft

chopper2004
5th Sep 2022, 16:42
So looks like the Dutch have ordered it as Herk replacement

https://www.aerotime.aero/articles/31345-netherlands-selects-embraer-c-390-transporter

i also saw it this weekend at Austrian Airpower (my pics below )

https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/8e82a04b_1fcb_4485_89bf_879fef1cbae4_c90a0b5388984b95f92757f 1147fd9729de390c4.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/912e2d21_2448_4f4f_b62a_9db092d3a4cc_5d21ed68cd83864c04a618f 3e0c170c6834940ae.jpeg
https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1504/29c06b4e_cbd8_4070_a9a5_3a57db92bfb6_10d37ca8654ef6fbb919313 91131e6af579784b6.jpeg

And it’s been certified for aerial fighting

https://youtu.be/FIcBI6P-xuk

cheers

chopper2004
9th Oct 2022, 13:06
First Hungarian KC-390 Millenium under construction

https://embraer.bynder.com/share/A4FECD61-2514-4282-8C68679C1FA5E2EE/

https://cimg0.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/800x533/webimage_b0e860f6_b4eb_43b2_a598a94a005de62a_53cc3c4be592b27 e4345946f00f609d590180116.jpg

https://cimg4.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/400x600/webimage_48816e9c_fd0d_4a9b_8f29bad2ba805d38_cf011ce9f112628 c1316afdb248654bc0e11a281.jpg

ORAC
30th Nov 2023, 10:03
https://x.com/sa_defensa/status/1729899000231301222?s=61&t=rmEeUn68HhlFHGKbTPQr_A

The Brazilian company @embraer and the Saudi company SAMI have presented a deal for the Royal Saudi Air Force to procure the KC/C-390 as a replacement for the current 33x C-130H.

The offer includes the possible creation of a KC/C-390 production facility in the country.

https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/1214x683/image_6e0a3d1cc9cbcc2c191451a46c18a4f39b22af41.png

https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/600x399/image_ad6167c90510ecbf48f51450dd712eb6af5ff9c7.jpeg

NutLoose
30th Nov 2023, 11:19
Cool, I see the Saudi Herks all the time as they night stop at EGNX, it will be nice to see the Embraer.

tdracer
30th Nov 2023, 19:28
Heavy cut in KC-390 procurement - I have to wonder what that will do to the production line and costs. Hadn’t picked up the authorisation of new wide body tankers - chance for Airbus with the MRTT?

If the real reason is budget cuts, hard to see the Brazilians turning around and appropriating money for tankers from another country.

chopper2004
9th Feb 2024, 11:15
https://embraer.com/global/en/news?slug=1207341-hungarys-c-390-millennium-makes-its-maiden-flight&fbclid=IwAR3yFH35THAgDKWvVfYRsuWpqn8oy_7l1pP-nCZEXEvLLkWsQdj5vntVsto_aem_AUDloFw4Whl3_67dRmyzMYjfLECegY_I xrOOJB3AbvjpacruY8uPqTw4-rWIFilTl7c

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/img_1476_20e9909b8c959c2fbafc62d662d25e4a6bdec0ac.jpeg
https://cimg3.ibsrv.net/gimg/pprune.org-vbulletin/2000x1333/img_1477_4043039d6cf8d542c7e4cfa97371ec5368667300.jpeg

cheers

SWBKCB
9th Feb 2024, 11:33
New Delhi, February 9, 2024: Embraer Defense & Security and Mahindra announced today that they have signed a Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) with the objective of jointly fulfilling the acquisition of the C-390 Millennium multi-mission aircraft by the Indian Air Force in its upcoming Medium Transport Aircraft (MTA) procurement project. The MoU was signed at the Embassy of Brazil in New Delhi.

https://www.mahindra.com/news-room/press-release/en/embraer-and-mahindra-announce-collaboration-on-the-c390-millennium-medium-transport-aircraft-in-india