PDA

View Full Version : F-35B or Sea Lightning?

battlecruiser
3rd Feb 2015, 00:01
This should be fun:

Should the Navy's new jet be called F-35B or Sea Lightning? - Telegraph (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/finance/newsbysector/industry/defence/11380717/Should-the-Navys-new-jet-be-called-F-35B-or-Sea-Lightning.html)

NutLoose
3rd Feb 2015, 18:18
I bet it will get called a myriad of names and none will be polite.

JAJM
3rd Feb 2015, 18:56
Just as long as I don't have to fly it, I don't care what it's called. I'm confident about my sexuality! :E

Courtney Mil
3rd Feb 2015, 19:59
I wonder what the differences between the RAF airframes and the RN ones will be. I wonder if they will be different fleets. I wonder if their names will suddenly change depending on who is flying them. Or will they all be called Sea Lightning?

GeeRam
3rd Feb 2015, 20:15
You mean they don't like Dave.......:eek:

CoffmanStarter
3rd Feb 2015, 20:45
Don't worry Courtney ... I'm sure all will become clear when this site re-launches :rolleyes:

http://i1004.photobucket.com/albums/af162/CoffmanStarter/imagejpg1_zpsc871864e.jpg

chiglet
3rd Feb 2015, 20:55
BUT... we had a Sea Vixen, without a Vixen. A Sea Hawk without a Hawk A Buccaneer....
Say no more....

Kitbag
3rd Feb 2015, 22:03
As best as I can tell, only fixed wing aircraft with a proper arrestor hook or other major modification (SHar) were prefixed 'Sea' in Royal Navy service, with notable exceptions of Gannet, Buccaneer etc which had naval connotations in the name. There is no precedent for the F-35B Lightning II to be a 'Sea' Lightning, and given that the majority of the type will be light blue it would be silly to have that variation.

bakseetblatherer
4th Feb 2015, 05:27
Maybe the RN are trying it on, and will sneak a decent flat top with arrestor & cats for their "C" Lightnings....

Pontius
4th Feb 2015, 05:33
Of course it should be called the Sea Lightning an the only reason why the Junior Service need get involved is to wash and prep the things ready for their RN betters.

Sandy Parts
4th Feb 2015, 07:53
How about just calling it "Late" or "Expensive"?

P6 Driver
4th Feb 2015, 08:00
It will always be "Sea Dave" for me.

newt
4th Feb 2015, 08:13
Just call it "Junk":ok:

Courtney Mil
4th Feb 2015, 08:22
Ooh, great, Coff. I've missed them!

Davef68
4th Feb 2015, 09:57
Hopefully we will call it the Lightning FGR mk1. None of this US F-35 nonsense, and there is no tradition of using a 'II' designator when we re-use a name (in the case of the UK the Lightning would be III anyway) - e.g. Tornado, Typhoon, Fury, Tutor etc

In the same way the MFTS T-6s should be Harvard Tmk1.

KPax
4th Feb 2015, 12:15
To try to tie several threads together, as we are having a cull of Senior Officers and the F35 is mainly going to be flown by the RAF, we could put a Group Captain in charge of the new RAF Queen Elizabeth Carriers with a Navy chap overseeing the Naval side then the name of the new aircraft would be much easier as the word Sea would not fit in, seems like a win win all round.

Rhino power
4th Feb 2015, 12:32
Maybe a more appropriate designation would be the, *Lightning AWoM.Mk1... :}

-RP

*Appalling Waste of Money!

Pontius
4th Feb 2015, 14:10
we could put a Group Captain in charge of the new RAF Queen Elizabeth Carriers

Not a bad idea really. Just think of the money saved in salaries by having the Royal Navy equivalent of a sub-lieutenant running the boat. I think you might just have something :)

Pontius Navigator
4th Feb 2015, 17:22
As best as I can tell, only fixed wing aircraft with a proper arrestor hook or other major modification (SHar) were prefixed 'Sea' in Royal Navy service, with notable exceptions of Gannet, Buccaneer etc which had naval connotations in the name. There is no precedent for the F-35B Lightning II to be a 'Sea' Lightning, and given that the majority of the type will be light blue it would be silly to have that variation.

Ah yes, the Scimitar and Phantom. Also Avenger and Wyvern, Wessex, Wasp, Lynx, Merlin.

I wonder if fewer were prefixed Sea than not.

Willard Whyte
4th Feb 2015, 17:53
Hopefully we will call it the Lightning FGR mk1. None of this US F-35 nonsense, and there is no tradition of using a 'II' designator when we re-use a name (in the case of the UK the Lightning would be III anyway) - e.g. Tornado, Typhoon, Fury, Tutor etc

Couldn't agree less, always find 'our' designators sound ridiculous, the American ones are far better.

Anyhoo, the Phantom was officially the Phantom II. Even the PP Pedants rarely insist upon the use of 'II', thus it doesn't matter whether it's called Lightning II since the II won't get used (except by the PPP).

Furthermore, only Dave-C should be the Sea Dave, in my never humble opinion.

Finnpog
4th Feb 2015, 18:18
Surely Dave-B will be Frog Dave as the overwhelming majority will be belong to Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and they as well as most of the others will be amphibious and intended to go to sea.