PDA

View Full Version : ATPL:distantance learning

flapjack
24th Sep 2001, 23:24
Hello guys!
looking for views on ATPL ground school distantance learning,would like opinions on bristol and oxford.Have done 6 weeker at ppsc with a partial not much good now.Have waited for the dust to settle on jars,ready to start all over again!!! :(

EGCC4284
25th Sep 2001, 03:55
http://www.pprune.org/cgibin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic&f=2&t=010130

Flying Kiwi
25th Sep 2001, 06:24
Can recommend OATS. Plenty of good feedback Q's.

Cheers,

FK

skipdistance
25th Sep 2001, 19:57
Hi, don't touch Bristol and AW. Smooth talker but little else. His team is also lacking in many departments. OATS is good, I used them in 1988, but finally finished years later with Aviation Training Associates at Coventry, they were really excellent in all respects. You will also find Atlantic aviation at Coventry for I/R etc. PPSC are past there best I AND I'M NOT SURPRISED AT THE PARTIAL. Whatever you do remember it is how much effort you put in too, I only just remembered in time myself! Best wishes.

cubby
25th Sep 2001, 21:02
Hay skipdistance
Get with the program
PPSc ARE past there best,
They went bust 2 months ago.
If Oxford was so good why did you 'finnish years later.
I have seen ppsc , oxford and Bristols notes.
Bristol were the best by far.
Cubby...

Just my opinion. ;)

Delta Wun-Wun
25th Sep 2001, 21:26
Skipdistance,
Come on then spill the beans.What do you know about Bristol then?
You can e-mail me if you wish.

MALCOLM_DEAN
25th Sep 2001, 22:02
It is not often that I feel moved to reply to postings of a negative nature on pprune, however Skip Distance has managed to achieve it.

His/Her criticism of Bristol groundschool on this thread and others is totally unjustified.

I am fully aware that many people for many reasons use the cloak of anonimity on pprune and that in itself is not a problem. To use it to further ones ulterior motives is however unforgiveable. I have never used an alias for my postings and to the best of my knowledge, neither has Alex Whittingham.

I will however say the following :

Skip Distance (SD) has a profile that bears a remarkable resemblance to a gentleman by the name of Simon Dufton (SD), who happens to be a 328 pilot resident in the south of England. In the early 1990's, I introduced Simon to Alex Whittingham and they entered a joint business venture together in Bournemouth to run a flight training school.

Unfortunately, Simon decided to vacate the country at short notice and relieve Alex and/or the partnership of a substantial amount of cash. The resultant legal proceedings were both lengthy and tortuous. It was only resolved by Alex having to take a legal charge over Simon's property.

Simon's movements were then dotted about the country. I am aware that both Bristol Flight Centre and Swallow Flight Centre both felt that Simon was unsuited to their operation and he moved on. A short while later he was flying the clockwork DC10 for Aurigny and he now flies the Dornier 328 for a southern based operator.

If by any chance Skip Distance is not connected to the said Simon Dufton, then he should justify his comments on pprune so that Alex may answer them fully.

If by any chance Skip Distance and Simon Dufton are one and the same, then shame on you Simon. You have lost all right to confidentialty and respect in your covert attempt to denigrate one of the most respected training providers in the UK

Malcolm Dean

ExRRPM
25th Sep 2001, 22:02
Check this one..... just been there, looks good. http://www.intlflight.com Then click promotions.

Megaton
25th Sep 2001, 22:36
I have very recently attended BGS after almost completing Module 1 of the ATPL course with PPSC. I was very impressed with BGS and having had exposure to both schools would suggest that my opinion has more validity than someone who does not appear to have attended either.

Wee Weasley Welshman
25th Sep 2001, 23:24
skipdistance is a UK based OneTel user who's IP seems to appear in some odd newsgroups for Smokers...

I will continue to dig or perhaps Mr Skipdistance will quash any need...?

BGS has had a consistently good press on PPRuNe for many years. Alex is an inspiring tutor as I know personally.

Delta Wun-Wun
26th Sep 2001, 00:15
Difference of opinion I can accept,but there is no need to rubbish people without good cause.If trying to help a few ex PPSC students who were left in the lurch when their school unfortunately went to the wall is smooth talking,then a smooth talker Alex is.
As for Bristol Groundschool`s course material.I am just about to finish the first module.I have found the notes clear,well set out and the support excellent.
I visited the school to have a look around before committing myself to them.Alex did not smooth talk me into anything.He was happy for me to speak to any of the students there.
I feel that the service I have had so far from Bristol is excellent.If I pass the exams....well that is down to me..(and the next 6 weeks revision before the Brush up course).
Skipdistance if your opinion of Bristol Groundschool is not very high,I can accept that ,but at least give your reasons.You may say that the reasons are private and none of our business......then don`t post on a public forum.At least give Alex a chance to defend your accusations,of course if there is anything to defend?? :)

avrodamo
26th Sep 2001, 04:14
Just coming to the end of my Mod 1 with Bristol. Notes are superb. Clear and well presented. Cd Rom package is great to. Take it all to work with me on the laptop.All progress tests marked and returned within 24 hours by poor Annouska. I started initially with 4 Forces, and i can tell you that Bristols package left them for dead. ;)

helimutt
26th Sep 2001, 12:44
Just have to add my views too. Having used the PPSC notes for the CPL tech exams earlier this year, I was talking to a couple of Bristol students on the exam day and they showed me the Bristol notes. Needless to say I used Bristol notes for the Navs. Did the two weeks brush up course earlier this month and exams two weeks ago. After passing 8 out of 9 at first attempt then the material must be clear and concise. I'm not exactly the brightest person ever to be let lose in a helicopter.

To rubbish Bristol GS, Alex and co, then there is obviously some other 'personal' reason for it.

Joaquín
27th Sep 2001, 05:20
More of the same.

Of course there must be opinions for all tastes but, in saying that, the ones that explain the "why" are usually more reliable. I don't think saying "they are crap" and leaving it there serves any purpose. On the other hand, constructive criticism (I know) is always welcome in BGS.

So this is mine: After completing all JAR exams with BGS (and passing them all first time :) ), and after knowing Alex and all the staff at BSC, the only thing I can do is praise their good job and thank them for doing the impossible to make me learn what I learnt.

In any case, why not just compare notes and/or pay them a visit? Then you can form your own opinion about them.

And good luck

:cool:

[ 27 September 2001: Message edited by: Joaqu'n ]

GonvilleBromhead
27th Sep 2001, 15:17
SD,

Please let us know what your opinion is based on ? :confused:

I for one have found BGS excellent and would highly recommend them and I am not alone.

I would be very interested to hear on what factual basis you have formed your opinion ?

GB.

[ 27 September 2001: Message edited by: GonvilleBromhead ]

Paser
27th Sep 2001, 16:58
Similar position to you several weeks ago. After attending the Manchester Exhibition and seeking additional advice on pprune, i have registered with BGS. The clarity of the material is excellent and the general feeling of an establishment who are behind you to ensure you get through the ATPL exams is without question rather than just a number out their on your own.

I believe one of the most important aspects of distance learning is to ensure you have the sheer determination to put the hours in and get the progress tests done in a regular timely manner....good luck

Megaton
30th Sep 2001, 19:39
Having been with PPSC until their unfortunate demise and subsequently enlisting the aid of BGS, I have had nothing but praise for them. Whilst trying not to sound too sycophantic, I would like to add a few more words on the subject. Despite the trauma surrounding the last few weeks, Alex and his team have helped me to achieve 7/7 at the first attempt. Now, if I can pass all seven at the first attempt, I don't think you can give much credence to the rather thinly veiled personal attack from Skipdistance. Now Alex, any chance of a discount for Module 2? :)

Steve McNair
1st Oct 2001, 17:21
To further add to the initial post. BGS in my view are the dogs danglies. Prompt response to all questions, excellent notes great bunch.

Not surprised to that SD didn't respond to justify his remarks because he can't.

Well done Alex, Anouska, Jacqueline, don't rise to the bait of this rambling idiot. :cool:

ILS27R
1st Oct 2001, 19:30
The only thing that bugs me with these distance learning courses are that some of the notes from the course providers have missing letters or certain words missing etc. I think this is because not that many people are actually involved with proof reading the material before hand unlike that found in actual books. This is just a general critism and not aimed at anyone in particular!!

Dick Whittingham
3rd Oct 2001, 13:22
AS to typo errors and missing bits, mea culpa, mea maxima culpa. I've written and checked some of ours, Alex has done many more. We check, cross-check and countercheck, but errors still slip through. We ask students who spot errors to tell us so we can correct for the next issue, and we log all errors found in a book and strike them of as we correct them. Still they slip through.

Guilty as charged, then, but do we work hard trying to minimise the problem. We do like to think, however, that the technical content is correct, logical and consistent across all subjects. If anyone has a problem, please e-mail us at www.bristol.gs (http://www.bristol.gs)

Checked for errors by Cdick Whittinghoom.

Joaquín
4th Oct 2001, 02:40
Hola Dick :)

Didn't I spot them all then? :eek:

Encantado de saludarte. Y saluda a la gente de mi parte. Un fuerte abrazo.
:cool:

preiffer
4th Oct 2001, 06:12
Don't have any "hard evidence" or "facts" that are so often demanded in these forums, but..

If an OPINION is what you're looking for, I did a hunt around similar to this about 3 months ago, looking at PPSC, Bristol and OAT. I decided to go for OAT, and really, my personal reasons are probably irrelevant to you.

All I'd say is that the course material is EXCELLENT, the course is split into nice, easy to manage frames and the backup I get from OAT is fantastic.

I can call them any time - even have a mobile number for "out of hours study emergencies.."!!! The online "virtual classroom" has all the course material, detailed animations, presentations and forums such as these for students and instructors to discuss things. The support I get from the team there has, to date, been impeccable.

There's nothing to say that this will continue, but I have no reason currently to suspect that it will not.

Anyway - like I say, no "hard facts", just my [unbiased - I have no link to them other than as a student] experience with OAT.

captainkilner
5th Oct 2001, 14:52
Hey guy's and gal's ,

Just a quickie regarding Bristol GS , i'm Coming to the end of module 1 soon hopefully !!depending on results !!! and have to say i can't fault the note's or the CD ROM, moving animations and all the notes on my lap top make studying a little bit easier. the 2 week crammer is also very good , plenty of feedback Q's and practice exams ,but as people have said before me you get out of it what you put into it. personally if i could have , i would have done a full time course , working and studying don't mix too well !! good luck what ever you decide , but Bristol is a winner !!!
:) :) :) :)

ET
5th Oct 2001, 23:10
Dick, what a fine post to put it all into perspective (thanks for the Met knowledge by the way). To put my bit into the pot:

BGS have been nothing but superb in the last 2 1/2 years I have had dealings with them. I started my course with them while based in the Far East, most work being fax transmitted, and was well impressed by the fast service I encountered. On my return I attended the Nav brush-up...Full pass. I used PPSC notes for the Techs (which I found V heavy going) only to have BGS put it all together in the Tech brush-up...Full pass. Perf A the same. Alex et al have been nothing but dedicated tutors and I feel that it is unjust to level any spears in Bristols direction. Maybe a bad experience through lack of work?

Barnstormin Bert
6th Oct 2001, 22:09
Just done two week brush-up with BGS, they were top-class. I thought PPSC were OK because they got me through MOD 1, but BGS surpassed them for MOD 2.
Cheers to Alex and staff.

MALCOLM_DEAN
6th Oct 2001, 23:37
There seems to be a deathly silence from some quarters. PerhapsI've hit the nail on the head !!

Wee Weasley Welshman
6th Oct 2001, 23:55
Malcolm I rather think you have. Unless some evidence to the contrary appears I shall be disposing of the offending PPRuNe member in the near future for being malicious little git.

Cheers,

GonvilleBromhead
9th Oct 2001, 11:50
Malcolm, well done sir for your contribution. It bloody annoys me to see needless disparaging comments targetted at individuals or organisations, especially at times like this.

:mad:

Send Clowns
9th Oct 2001, 21:55
I can endorse Bristol's notes.

I am a ground instructor at another school but am currently giving private tuition to one of Bristol's students, so have seen the notes in my primary subject (General Nav) and they are excellent. I have met Alex Wittingham and he is very personable, and I have seen his replies to technical querries here which are clear, concise and correct. From this I gather he is very helpful and a good instructor.

P.S. anyone out there need private tuition, I am very competetive, know a broad range of subjects and can arrange tuition in others. I have the backing of a major school, and very good references from the CGI there! Email in my profile.

Clive Hughes
9th Oct 2001, 23:16
Passed my CPLs, ATPLs and Perf A with BGS so that makes the score now:

SkipDistance 1, Alex 16