PDA

View Full Version : ATPL theory before CPL

radiodude
1st Feb 2015, 03:45
Hi everyone,

I hope this doesn't come across as a stupid question...

I was just talking to a friend who's currently doing his CPL in QLD. He asked his instructor if he can complete ATPL theory and sit exams instead of sitting each CPL subject (like sitting CPL subjects instead of PPL). He instructor didn't know and asked him to call CASA.

I'm asking the question because I know he will never call CASA and ask (sorry Adam).

So can you sit ATPL instead of CPL.

I'm still wet behind the ear with aviation. Sorry if it's a stupid question.

- Radiodude.

KRviator
1st Feb 2015, 03:54
No disrespect intended, but 10 seconds with Google provided the answer, straight from CAsA (http://www.casa.gov.au/scripts/nc.dll?WCMS:STANDARD:1001:pc=PC_90055).

And it is: No - you must hold a CPL or CPL passes in all 7 subjects prior to sitting an ATPL exam.

seneca208
1st Feb 2015, 03:54
No you cannot

radiodude
1st Feb 2015, 04:02
Haha, Its all good. I did Google it but I couldn't find it clearly anywhere. The CASA pages didn't state it clearly like that lol...

Tinstaafl
1st Feb 2015, 05:45
It has always been the case that Oz ATPL subjects extend from where CPL subjects left off. In other words, ATPL topics presume CPL level of knowledge 1st. This is unlike CPL vs PPL. PPL knowledge is a subset of CPL. If you pass the CPL level exams then you have demonstrated *better* than PPL level knowledge without missing out on any PPL stuff.

That's why, in Oz, you can sit CPL exams instead of PPL, but not ATPL instead of CPL.

This is different to UK/Europe/JAA/EASA: CPL (and IR) is a subset of ATPL so passing ATPL covers both CPL & IR exams. Their ATPL exams presume at least PPL level knowledge so PPL passes are required to sit the ATPL exams. Somewhat the equivalent of BAK being a prerequisite for PPL or CPL exams in Oz.

pistnbroke_again
1st Feb 2015, 07:22
Do ATPL met and human factors right after you do the CPL exam. Met would take only a couple of extra hours study and human is no different

Runaway Gun
1st Feb 2015, 21:41
Good advice - but only if you complete all the ATPL exams within the next two years. Or else you'll have to do them again.

Cravenmorehead
1st Feb 2015, 23:16
I'm still wet behind the ear with aviation. Sorry if it's a stupid question

I think you will find there are no such things as stupid questions, just sometimes stupid answers. PPRuNe suffers from the later, and a lot of stirrers, so if it is genuine ask.

Now my question the quote above I wanted to highlight and have in one of those nifty boxes to differentiate from the rest of the post, how do I do that?
Cheers
Craven.