PDA

View Full Version : A380 crew

iraqi
1st Feb 2015, 01:33
I have been doing the Dubai Toronto flight about 6 times a year for the past 5 years. A few years back, the flight deck crew always consisted of two captains and two FOs. But in the past 18 months or so, including the flight yesterday have only been crewed by 2 captains and one FO. Any reason for that?

flaphandlemover
1st Feb 2015, 04:15
Welcome to Emirates...
It's called cost cutting.
Maximise workload on Crew...
The way we are heading...

cerbus
1st Feb 2015, 05:55
With no government oversight EK can do whatever they like.
Do you think the flight is just as safe with 3 pilots as it is with 4 pilots?

mach85
1st Feb 2015, 06:44
Iraqi,

I think you opened a can of worms now. Get ready.......:*:ok:

JAARule
1st Feb 2015, 11:35
Speaking of results, how's the A380 noisy CRC ASR campaign coming along? Any word on imminent improvements?

Chock
1st Feb 2015, 12:49
Yep, CRC being moved to the bulk like the 345. Only for new ones, not sure from when from, maybe 2016.

Schnowzer
1st Feb 2015, 16:11
Weren't they going to put the CRC alongside the bags on the 777 luggage flight that follows the A380 around? A bit tricky to get there in flight but no screaming babies outside the cockpit.

Mr Angry from Purley
1st Feb 2015, 16:11
There could be argument for three crew on the way to Toronto e.g day time flight, but on way back I'd go for four crew members.

Jumeirah James
2nd Feb 2015, 05:45
File ASR's. The amount forced EK to put JFK back to 4 man, Not enough from the other destinations to change policy.

Craggenmore
2nd Feb 2015, 13:02
Yep, CRC being moved to the bulk like the 345. Only for new ones, not sure from when from, maybe 2016.

New 380's to have crew rest as Airbus intended outside FD with their own bathroom and a retro fit program for older 380's.

TangoUniform
2nd Feb 2015, 13:23
Now if they would only do the same with the Boeing. Put it where every other 777 Operator puts it. But I guess the ambiance of the first class ceiling was more important than a proper rest facility for pilots.

Pontius
2nd Feb 2015, 13:57
Put it where every other 777 Operator puts it

Maybe have a look at a BA 777 first before you ask for that :(

FlyingTinCans
2nd Feb 2015, 15:15
A similar thing is happening across the runway at FZ.

Flying to "short haul" destinations barely inside FTLs, but to be fair to the GCAA if a route goes in to discretion on a regular basis FZ are made to change the timings to a more favourable FTL band or FZ are forced to deadhead crew on a 737.

My point being the GCAA does listen (sometimes), filling a single ASR may not change anything, but a whole fleet of captins filling ASRs & Discretion reports does get noticed at the GCAA.

There is a drive to get pilots to be more honest & file ASRs about fatigue at FZ, if enough are filled by both companies things will change, slowly, inshallah, but it's better than no change at all.