PDA

View Full Version : Enstrom 280FX down in USA, 2 fatal

Tweedles
29th Jan 2015, 12:04
RIP

Multiple fatalities in helicopter crash at Erie Municipal Airport - 7NEWS Denver TheDenverChannel.com (http://www.thedenverchannel.com/news/front-range/erie/helicopter-crashes-at-erie-municipal-airport)

Erie helicopter company IDs instructor, student killed in crash - The Denver Post (http://www.denverpost.com/news/ci_27402804/erie-helicopter-company-ids-instructor-student-killed-crash)

John Eacott
3rd Feb 2015, 19:36
NTSB reports a blade separation :(

NTSB Identification: CEN15FA126 (http://www.ntsb.gov/_layouts/ntsb.aviation/brief.aspx?ev_id=20150128X02848&key=1)

14 CFR Part 91: General Aviation
Accident occurred Monday, January 26, 2015 in Erie, CO
Aircraft: ENSTROM 280FX, registration: N86235
Injuries: 2 Fatal.
This is preliminary information, subject to change, and may contain errors. Any errors in this report will be corrected when the final report has been completed. NTSB investigators either traveled in support of this investigation or conducted a significant amount of investigative work without any travel, and used data obtained from various sources to prepare this aircraft accident report.

On January 26, 2015 about 1202 mountain standard time (MST), an Enstrom 280FX, N86235, was destroyed when it impacted terrain during final approach for landing at the Erie Municipal Airport (EIK), Erie, Colorado. Both the instructor pilot and student pilot were fatally injured and the helicopter was destroyed. The helicopter was registered to New Course Aviation Company and operated by Mountain One Helicopters as a 14 Code of Federal Regulations Part 91 instructional flight. Visual meteorological conditions prevailed for the local flight which operated without a flight plan.

A witness reported that the helicopter was on final approach for landing on the runway at what seemed a steep angle of descent. As the helicopter descended, she heard a loud "pop" and the helicopter began to rotate and then the main rotor blades departed off the top of the helicopter. The remainder of the helicopter fell to the ground, impacted, and then "exploded."

NTSB: Helicopter lost main rotor blades before fatal Erie crash (http://www.dailycamera.com/erie-news/ci_27448358/ntsb-helicopter-lost-main-rotor-blades-before-fatal)

The helicopter that crashed in Erie last week -- killing both people on board -- lost its main rotor after coming in for a landing at a "steep angle," according to a preliminary report from the National Transportation Safety Board.

The crash happened just after noon on Jan. 26 at Erie Municipal Airport, 395 Airport Road, according to the report. The helicopter, an Enstrom 280FX owned by New Course Aviation Company and operated by Erie-based Mountain One Helicopters, was on a training flight and did not have a flight plan.

Mountain One Helicopters told the Daily Camera last week that the flight would not have left the airport area.

According to the NTSB report, a witness said the helicopter was preparing to land on the runway "at what seemed a steep angle of descent."

The witness said that as the helicopter began to descend, she heard a loud "pop."

"The helicopter began to rotate and then the main rotor blades departed off the top of the helicopter," the report said. "The remainder of the helicopter fell to the ground, impacted and then 'exploded.'"

A final report on the crash likely will take several more months.

Both the instructor, Alex Viola, 23, of Arkansas City, Kan., and the student, Amy Wood, 25, of Boulder, were fatally injured in the crash. The report did not say who was believed to have been flying the helicopter during the crash.

Officials with Mountain One Helicopters also said they did not know who was flying, though they did say Wood was nearing her certification.

Mountain One Helicopters operates out of Erie at 395 Airport Drive, just south of the airport.

According to his biography on the company's website, Viola specialized in initial flight training and ground instruction for private and commercial students, and he had been flying since 2007.

Arnie Madsen
4th Feb 2015, 04:43
"Rotor departed the helicopter"

... one picture showed the (departed) rotor with the mast and transmission still attached and one of the rotor blades in a different location ... maybe one blade came off first and the resulting imbalance tore the rest of the assembly off.

nigelh
4th Feb 2015, 13:06
V sad and very unlucky to be killed in an Enstrom with virtually no fatals in its long history . It will be interesting to see what maintenance it had received in the recent past . RIP

Aesir
14th Feb 2015, 19:30
Emergency AD issued. Apparently crack in MR spindle!

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgad.nsf/0/342fb061c33bc7a786257dea00750308/$FILE/2015-04-51_Emergency.pdf

lvflyer
21st Feb 2015, 00:06
I would be interested to see if they can determine the maintenance history and overspeed occurrence during practice autos. I wouldn't be surprised they don't find any more spindles that are cracked. As a private owner this is really a hardship on me. Why is it that all owners of a particular model of aircraft have to be penalized because an idiot abuses or flies outside of parameters and doesn't report it. I would suspect they have no way of knowing the history of overspeeds on that ship. FAA did the same thing to me on my Mooney. Some idiot decides to do aerobatics and crack the aileron control rods so everyone has to have theirs' removed to be re-enforced just in case you do aerobatics that aren't certified for.

helimutt
21st Feb 2015, 14:13
lvflyer, or fly it without checking it at your peril?

flylow
21st Feb 2015, 18:30
Why is it that all owners of a particular model of aircraft have to be penalized because an idiot abuses or flies outside of parameters and doesn't report it. I would suspect they have no way of knowing the history of overspeeds on that ship.

Pretty strong accusations there, lvflyer. What do you know about this helicopter or the flight instructor(s) training in it? An idiot abuses or flies outside the parameters??? I would suspect that YOU have no way of knowing the history of overspeeds on that ship. Mouthing off again without knowing what you're talking about or having all (or any?) information.

Do your spindles have more than 5000 hours on them?

lvflyer
21st Feb 2015, 18:56
Yes that is the problem. No way to know how abused. These are rated for 19000 hours. Law Enforcement have flown up to that without replacing. Yes mine are 6500.

AcrylicNinja
10th Mar 2015, 17:29
IVFlyer, I went to that flight school and several others. I was one of the first people to talk to Alex when he started flying. We used to hang out and goof off when I was still down there. There are real people involved. WATCH YOUR &%$#@ COMMENTS! That being said.....no, there is no real way of telling how a ship is treated. Incidents like this and modifications like your talking are done to help prevent future failures, your "aerobatic" maneuvers may be somebodies saving grace in another situation.

again lets be respectful please.

RIP Alex

Gemini Twin
10th Mar 2015, 18:50
IVFlyer was just expressing frustration that's all. I've been around long enough to know that the majority of airworthiness directives are generated due to errors or negligence on somebodies part, who did something wrong and didn't report it, which lead to a failure due to "unknown causes". Then everybody is penalized by the mandatory action, which the authorities must initiate.

dsc810
10th Mar 2015, 19:36
Yup @Gemini - I've nailed in GA by that one:

Failure spotted in one a/c at CofA time
Major panic - all aircraft of sub-type grounded
All inspected requiring much expense.
Guess what - not one single one found with any issues
Red faces all round.
Some months later all a/c now released back into service
Problem with the sole aircraft now mysteriously re-categorised as improper inspection/storage.
General level of fury from the other others directed at the sole owner that couldn't do things properly.

lvflyer
10th Mar 2015, 23:42
I didn't mean any disrespect so I apologize if any taken. I reread my comments and don't see any though. Just stating facts about not any way of knowing how it was flown. Fact is out of hundreds tested, I have it on good authority, no cracks have been found. Also on my Mooney no cracks on the ailerons were found neither. We all pay when others choose to be test pilots, as was the case on the Mooney. They aren't certified for aerobatics, but I was told by one instructor they routinely did barrel rolls in the school's.

seneca2e
22nd Mar 2015, 04:32
lvflyer all three spindles were found cracked on the accident aircraft plus they've found one additional spindle cracked since the A/D. That was straight from Enstrom and NTSB at HeliExpo. They said "to take this seriously".

Rotorhead84
23rd Mar 2015, 13:26
I went to flight school there. Never flew their Enstrom ships though.

Lonewolf_50
23rd Mar 2015, 14:47
lvflyer all three spindles were found cracked on the accident aircraft plus they've found one additional spindle cracked since the A/D. That was straight from Enstrom and NTSB at HeliExpo. They said "to take this seriously". Did you get the idea that they were worried that there was a bad lot of spindles that had been produced and that other aircraft needed to check serial numbers?

Shawn Coyle
23rd Mar 2015, 15:17
I heard that the aircraft was close to 30 years old, and had close to 10K hours. Was there need to inspect the spindles by either age or hours?
Going to be pretty difficult to track down a manufacturing problem with that age and hours, isn't it?

CO280fx
23rd Mar 2015, 15:45
N86235 - Enstrom 280fx, S/N 2002, built 1985. It had 9,300 hours total time. Through the grapevine I heard that it was formerly operated by a California police department (Pasadena?) and that it had a "hard landing" and tail/blade strike with one of its previous owners.

From the type certificate (H1CE) (http://www.airweb.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgMakeModel.nsf/0/65e42b7767c7d6c7862574e5007352f9/$FILE/H1CE.pdf), the MR spindle appears the be an "on condition" item.

http://i.imgur.com/rJ4BD8E.png

The location of the cracks would have made it impossible to inspect for them without removing the retention nut for the spindle, which only comes off to replace the lamiflex bearing.

http://www.enstromhelicopter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Spindle-MPI-SDB-0119-T-050.pdf
(http://www.enstromhelicopter.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/Spindle-MPI-SDB-0119-T-050.pdf)

http://i.imgur.com/97a68Y8.png

http://i.imgur.com/cuGPRzS.png

I don't believe there was any age/hours inspection schedule in place. I suspect that there are inadequate post-accident inspection and replacement procedures that should be changed.

tom28a
2nd Apr 2015, 01:32
I checked N# N86235 that helicopter has category registration says EXPERIMENTAL wonder what is up with that.......

CO280fx
2nd Apr 2015, 16:54
@tom28a, I believe that's an old entry from when the helicopter had police gear mounted on it. It had a standard AW cert.

Lonewolf_50
2nd Apr 2015, 20:53
I heard that the aircraft was close to 30 years old, and had close to 10K hours. Was there need to inspect the spindles by either age or hours?
Going to be pretty difficult to track down a manufacturing problem with that age and hours, isn't it? Unless the original spindles (or one of them) had already been replaced at a previous time ... ;)

CO280fx
11th Apr 2015, 15:29
20% of inspected spindles showed evidence of cracking! Now all spindles with >1500hrs TIS require inspection:

http://rgl.faa.gov/Regulatory_and_Guidance_Library/rgAD.nsf/0/f5030410d75defef86257e23006a16c9/$FILE/2015-08-51_Emergency.pdf

lvflyer
11th Apr 2015, 16:17
Well I'm hearing the need for a manufacturer recall. Why should we be responsible for the costs when it was on condition?

cockney steve
11th Apr 2015, 17:52
Is there a language-problem here?

Calendar life= elapsed time?
Hours life = number of hours in use?
On condition= replace when it's no longer serviceable?

I don't see any description for " lasts until the end of time and certainly after all associated components have crumbled to dust"

1500 hours service-life does not seem abnormal for many parts, as per the details posted by CO280fx

lvflyer
11th Apr 2015, 17:57
As posted by CO280fx. Service life of 19000 hours on spindle. Turning out to not be true. Do you think someone needs to answer for the error in testing or judgement? Over $8k each for a spindle is a large burden for private owners that don't make any money with their helicopter?

http://i.imgur.com/rJ4BD8E.png

FSXPilot
11th Apr 2015, 18:17
Hahaha! You want the manufacturer to pick up the tab. HAHAHAHAHA!

Dream on sunshine.

If that was the case Robinson would've gone bust a decade ago.

CO280fx
11th Apr 2015, 18:35
lvlflyer,
Once again your words show that you just don't get it. :ugh: :oh:

Good luck.

lvflyer
11th Apr 2015, 18:59
Nothing wrong with dreaming. Still value of all our Enstroms dropped. Hopefully proliferation of trainer will increase desire and hope this issue doesn't taint the trainer's popularity. I'm curious how many on here have Enstroms just for pleasure and not commercial interest.

rotorboater
13th Apr 2015, 12:13
New EAD just released grounding all machines over 1500 hrs before inspection:*
More expense, its not be a cheap year so far for me.

bvgs
14th Apr 2015, 16:52
Anyone got any idea how much the testing will cost per spindle? Mines have only done just over 1600 grrrr. Mind you wouldn't like to be up when it parted company!

lvflyer
14th Apr 2015, 17:45
At this time Enstrom is not charging for the testing if you send them the spindles. They do charge a disassembly/assembly charge if you send the entire retention systems, which I am going to do so they can completely flush the old Mobil 28 out of them.

cockney steve
15th Apr 2015, 20:19
^^^^^^ sounds like they are being honourable with the testing.....given their rep. one would hope they will give a substantial discount, based on hours run, on any proving faulty...of course, one can also expect to see a dramatic reduction in the designated service-life of these components.

Having said that, consider the number that have run high hours faultlessly, V the one failure and the small number found unsound.....a faulty batch sounds a plausible explanation.

flylow
16th Apr 2015, 11:10
Anyone got any idea how much the testing will cost per spindle? Mines have only done just over 1600 grrrr. Mind you wouldn't like to be up when it parted company!

I picked mine up yesterday. All passed. Just under 1800 hours on them. One mechanic I talked to said he had 9 tested and it ended up costing him $25 each. The place I took mine to decided to rip me off when I told them it was a rush job, and they charged me $1,000. After some complaining by me they agreed to drop it to $435. That was the cost for the job... all 3 spindles. I was *going* to drop off another set to that company to be tested, but told them after the price they charged me, I'd send the other set elsewhere. Perhaps to the factory but I didn't want to wait for the backlog.