PDA

View Full Version : Retina Detachment - surgery tomorrow

vincentmoy
29th Jan 2015, 01:12
Well, this morning I went in for a routin eye check and the doc found my left eye had a retina detachment and they scheduled me for a scleral buckle surgery tomorrow. My FAA Class 1 expire next month. I'm wondering if any of you folks had any experience on how the surgery will affect my career.

PS I already have bad myopia -8.5 and -7

gooneydog
29th Jan 2015, 02:10
I had the same however I had lost sight in the eye. It effectively ended my career at the time but after approx 18 months the sight had come back to 20/30

You can prob push for a SODA ( demonstrated ability) however they could be slow to let you go there

If it's FAA just keep pushing There is always a waiver....

RatherBeFlying
30th Jan 2015, 16:54
I know of one kid that lost an eye and eventually got his CPL in Canada.

Given that you are already flying, there's a very good chance that you can regain your medical on one eye.

pudd
25th Feb 2015, 11:01
I had the same operation as you under Local after detaching my Retina over 10 years ago. My eyesight recovered over 3 months and I was back flying commercially soon after. I was lucky enough to have been operated on by one of the best surgeons in the UK.
No problems since ref the Retina, the buckle is firmly in place! Had my last check up in 2014 .. Good luck for the future.
I did post on here back then so you my be able to search and see the very helpful support I received during that period. Pudd.

Airclues
26th Feb 2015, 13:37
An ex colleague (B744 captain) had this operation. He got his unrestricted licence back after about three months.

pudd's thread (to save you looking);

http://www.pprune.org/medical-health/85545-retinal-detachment.html

vincentmoy
22nd Mar 2015, 20:25
Thank you for all the responses. Just an update. It's been almost 2 months since the surgery. Went in for a check up few days ago and the doc said my eye looks good. He told me I'm still a little early to get new glasses but I already got new prescription and it brought me back down to 20/20.

The doc said in another month or so my eye sight could change again in a month or so and will need to get new ones again. Although I will admit, even with the new glasses on, my distance vision is still not as sharp as my non-operated eye. I believe it's 20/20 but it appears to have fizzy edge. I'm hoping it'll improve as the doc suggested.

Right now I'm still out of action as FAA required a 3 months waiting period. However, my AME said I still have my 3rd class active so I can go rent a 150 and buzz around for now. Let me say this though, this whole thing is no fun, AT ALL.

HEATHROW DIRECTOR
23rd Mar 2015, 19:14
Real glad you are on the road to recovery and I hope you soon get your full ticket back. Best wishes..