PDA

View Full Version : Is this normal these days?

NutLoose
29th Jan 2015, 00:32
Marching in with the chaps..

http://img.s-msn.com/tenant/amp/entityid/AA8FPxg.img?h=470&w=728&m=6&q=60&o=f&l=f

It was on the MSN site re the cuts and it just caught my eye as strange

O-P
29th Jan 2015, 00:56
Rank creep?

And he forgot his belt.

"Shoot the one without a belt"

glad rag
29th Jan 2015, 03:20
It's actually a picture from a tri service trial (by the UK MOD) of logistical improvements.
Hence the different finishing touches that have been observed.

Whilst information about some of the items have not been released one that has is the amazing use of nanotechnology developed by both Cardiff and Bristol universities in the field of water carriage.

Whilst still in it's infancy, the said use of nanotechnology is set to revolutionise battlefield logistics allowing the individual soldier /sailor /airmen to reduce the logistics train in the supply of H2O. Basically they carry the water in a nanotechnology form, once at their FOB, firebase the nanotech water is reconstituted back into real H2O.

They are talking about 1 individual carrying the equivalent of 10 gallons in an easy to carry format.
Once at their destination a simple process is all it takes to reconstitute the nanotech back into H2O.
Not only does this have significant military implications, the possible future use of this technology in, say, disaster relief operations could have the possibility of being a enormous life saver around the world. :D

Surplus
29th Jan 2015, 03:42
The dried frog pills aren't working old chap.

Stanwell
29th Jan 2015, 04:37
Oh c'mon, glad rag.
Dehydrated water's been around for ages - I've even got a couple of bottles here.

Surplus
29th Jan 2015, 08:02
Dehydrated water's been around for ages - I've even got a couple of bottles here.

I thought it came in tablet form.

P6 Driver
29th Jan 2015, 08:22
I'm sure he'll get over the embarrassment of being photographed with "other ranks".

Stitchbitch
29th Jan 2015, 08:30
But will the 'other ranks'. And it actually looks like he knows how to do it too. Ooo..no sword :E

Wrathmonk
29th Jan 2015, 08:37
The RSM/Drill Pig couldn't work out who he was from his 'toned down' rank...

Good to see he still has his IOT cap badge though!

Shack37
29th Jan 2015, 10:32
I hope he´s been well trained in handbag avoidence if he´s a pruner.:rolleyes:

TheWizard
29th Jan 2015, 19:31
Tut, tut Sqn Ldr!!:E

AP1358

Rank Slides and Belts . “In barracks,” standard blue rank badges and braid affixed to a plain slide are to be worn.When personnel are engaged in combat operations, operational training or on exercises where combat uniform is being worn as part of a specific requirement of the task, low contrast
rank slides, combat webbing belts and tactical recognition flashes are normally to be worn but this can be varied at the discretion of the local
Commander.

barnstormer1968
29th Jan 2015, 19:38
Surplus.
Yes, dehydrated water does come in tablet (or powder form)

Innominate
29th Jan 2015, 20:21
The US Army filed a patent for dry water Patent US4008170 - Dry water - Google Patents (http://www.google.co.uk/patents/US4008170) in 1975.

barnstormer1968
29th Jan 2015, 20:41
Interesting.
BCB in Cardiff make the dehydrated water for the MOD