PDA

View Full Version : UAE criminal record check, moving back to UK

tornadof3raf
27th Jan 2015, 12:23
Guys,

Moving back to UK in march and the security checking company 'Procius' (for UK airside pass) requested a UAE criminal record check.

I researched and applied for a certificate of good conduct. Cost 210dhs and apply online and go down to head police station to verify identity. All very easy and after a day received a PDF via email of my certificate of good conduct.

Just forwarded it to Procuis and they say they can't accept it. They need something different that has fingerprints or something on it. They keep telling me that there is another form but can't find anything on the police website.

The only reference to fingerprints is if you're applying from outside the UAE as a previous resident. As my valid UAE ID card has all that info on it I presume they don't need it.

Any Ideas what they could be on about? Very frustrating.......

Arewerunning
27th Jan 2015, 13:33
I have been through with both Procius and sterling backcheck.

My personal experienceses gave me the impressions of working with punks.

I found out that 4 times out of 5 "no can't do" worked just fine. You do need to stand your grounds though....

Just an examples of manys: they ask for criminals records from all the countries you resided in the last five years.

If you commute they usually ask for both countries of work and commute, even though is not required.

You just politely explain to them that you never lived in the country of work but they usually do not accept it. If you insist and put them in front of their own contraddiction they will back off. If they do not -"no can't do"- will work.

If not, just start threathening them. I am serious....

They are punks, never saw so much unprofessionalism...

Regards

cucuotto
28th Jan 2015, 05:56
Out of my curiosity..why the hell you need a criminal record to go back to your own country. Don't know exactly why but you Brits to me always seem a tad idiotic and this criminal record to go back home makes no ******* sense.. Time to get rid of the Windsors....��

what-to-do
28th Jan 2015, 06:12
cucuotto,

Your post seems a tad idiotic to me. Surely you have to gain an airside pass where you come from? I would imagine they do a background check on you too.... just wondering how they achieve this without being able to verify your whereabouts or activity over the last few years?

If you can produce a letter or certificate from the police stating that you have had no criminal activity whilst residing in the UAE, then the security checks are much more straight forward.

As for the Windsors......WTF?

anson harris
28th Jan 2015, 08:37
Cucuuto - aren't you from Italy? That well known shining example of slimmed down government, lack of corruption and bureaucratic simplicity?
Oh...

Schnowzer
28th Jan 2015, 10:08
TF3 have you looked at the tax implications of March vs early April and the start of the tax year?

anson harris
28th Jan 2015, 10:13
I am in a similar position and I asked HMRC this question. They said that I may go on an emergency tax code for one month at the most, but will go onto a normal one from the beginning of the 15/16 tax year.
Any overpayment can be reclaimed quickly as I will submit my return for 14/15 pretty much as soon as the tax year is over.

Spoogie
28th Jan 2015, 14:34
I had to do one for immigration. Tell CID that you need to get finger Prints to take home to UK for criminal checks and they will take your prints on a electronic machine with all your details (which they let you fill out) and give you the prints, attached that to your certificate of good conduct.

That should do the trick.

Spoogz

Reinhardt
29th Jan 2015, 04:21
Thats's one of the drawbacks of sub-contracting security job (like checking for so-called "airside passes") to private security firms (the above-named Procius)
Regarding professionnalism of police forces, for sure the country from the thread subject usually looks down to other country forces and policies with contempt and dedain. They just should look at themselves a little bit more (consider the Rochester story - dozens of young girls abused - where police action was ristrained and cancelled for years, for fear of offending and pointing the finger to "some" communities...)
Now regarding "checking backgrounds" that's a very long and costly process, of course necessary for some positions.
When hearing that CC here are subject to those "background checks" do you really think those ME Airlines have the assets to do it ? that's going to be usually a simple Google check, and yes, if the country of origin is kind enough to provide a criminal record, that's going to double the previous Google check - and then we go for the job, we are just airlines, not a military force dealing with nuclear bombs, where believe me, background checks are much more professionnal...
In a lot of other countries, airside passes are not issued by a private security firm.

Farrell
29th Jan 2015, 04:32
As "Arewerunning" said earlier.

Provide what you have from the UAE.
Any further mucking about and go with "No. Can't do.".
Beyond that is a phone call and harsh words.
They are abysmal.

tornadof3raf
31st Jan 2015, 05:04
Schnowzer, Im not starting work until the 13th April so in the next tax year.

tornadof3raf
31st Jan 2015, 05:10
Quote from a guy who PM'd me.

"You need to go to the Dubai Police General Headquarters. It's right next to Al Qiyadah metro station. It's on the same side of the road, right next to the station. It's best to go early in the morning to be honest. I doubt they'd be able to print anything straight away but they might. You need a passport sized photo to go on the certificate and your emirates id/passport copy, usual stuff."

Sounds like there are 2 ways of getting one, the above way.... and the way I did it (online).

The above way gets you a hard copy which is what Procius want. My way got me a PDF which Procius don't want. Even though its basically the exact same form! They are useless, I have my Airline looking into it and they also explain that Procius are useless. They say a PDF should be accepted as its a document that can't be changed (the whole point of a PDF).

I went into HQ the other day with a few questions. Regarding Proof of service letter... we get that on the last day in office from the EOS counter. Actually the lady Ive met there both times has been extremely helpful.

helen-damnation
31st Jan 2015, 06:10
Schnowzer, Im not starting work until the 13th April so in the next tax year.

Noted, but if you become resident in the 14/15 tax year there may be tears :{

Be careful and good luck.

cucuotto
31st Jan 2015, 07:28
I was involved in any criminal activity overseas my embassy would be one way or the other informed and therefore I would not need a criminal record anyway.We might not be the most efficient bur improving. If the say you are what you eat is true then...:E

highflyer40
31st Jan 2015, 07:50
unless you ask for consular assistance your embassy will not be told of any criminal proceedings against you in a foreign country.

tornadof3raf
31st Jan 2015, 08:32
helen, I don't see how that is a problem. Im not earning anything in the UK and haven't done so nothing to get taxed on.

BigGeordie
1st Feb 2015, 13:25
If you are or become resident during a tax year you are liable for tax on all your income (including overseas) earned in that tax year. A few days either way could be very expensive!

tornadof3raf
3rd Feb 2015, 05:45
My accountant disagrees, so by your theory when can you move back then? Only on April 6th?

The only time you pay tax on all your income, foreign or otherwise is if you have been a non-resident for less than 1 tax year.

Less than 5 years you may have to pay tax on Foreign income/gains...... That does 'not' include wages or employment income. (quoted from HRMC website)

Also confirmed by speaking to them.

BYMONEK
3rd Feb 2015, 06:31
tornado3raf

I have a relatively small property portfolio back in the UK which are all rented. Despite being a non resident, I am still liable to tax on income generated over the tax free allowance, (approx £10k). That includes, unfortunately, a proportion of my EK salary for when I'm undertaking UK flights. They work out a ratio of your total flying hours with a formula of layover hours and then apply this to your salary. In my case, that represented 1.6%. This percentage is then taxed at the taxable rate which applied to the income tax band. I can still have up to 90 days there, with no tax implications, providing it's not related to work.

Any form of income earned in the UK over the allowance is liable to be taxed, regardless of non resident or not. Capital gains tax does not apply when you've been a non resident for over 5 tax years and any liable asset is then disposed of whilst under the status of being non resident.

You may need to get a more up to date accountant as what you've stated is simply incorrect. Getting it wrong now could be very costly for you!

anson harris
3rd Feb 2015, 07:33
BYMONEK - it specifically says on the HMRC website that if you are resident abroad for less than 5 years, that your income can be taxed if you have been sending it to the UK, but that this does not apply to wages.

tornadof3raf
3rd Feb 2015, 07:33
If I spend less than 90 days of the 2014/2015 tax year in the UK (which I will moving back on the 26th March) surely I'm still classed as a non-resident for this year though.

tornadof3raf
3rd Feb 2015, 07:38
Agree with Anson.

We have a house in the UK which we rent out and its below the Threshold so don't pay tax.

Also if flights originate outside the UK and finish outside the UK they are not classed in your 90 days etc, just read that on HRMC.

BYMONEK
3rd Feb 2015, 11:19
If you spend more than 90 days in the UK, regardless of work or leisure, then you're classed as resident and the full proportion of your income is taxable. Because your property earns less than the personal tax limit, you're not liable to tax, regardless of whether you're resident or not.

Maybe you should start a separate thread as this is starting to creep from the original thread. Will be happy to explain in more detail when you do.

anson harris
3rd Feb 2015, 12:07
Agree Bymonek. Although actually for some people the limit drops to 45 days if they have strong links to the UK such as kids, wife etc resident there.